U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,789 posts, read 8,589,736 times
Reputation: 29571

Advertisements

What a tragedy on so many levels. An elderly husband and wife died in an apparent murder-suicide in Washington state on August 7th. A 77-year-old man called 911 on Wednesday morning saying he planned to die by suicide. Despite attempts by crisis negotiators to stop it, the couple went through with it. Deputies found several notes throughout the home in which the couple expressed despair over high medical bills. If the couple couldn't afford their current medical bills, they would not have been able to afford psychiatric care also. I'm sure other factors contributed to their demise, but financial stresses certainly didn't help.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...about-n1040691
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 08:43 AM
 
402 posts, read 123,460 times
Reputation: 532
Sad unfortunately stress over money issues can lead to suicide. Remember in 2010 the year when there was no death tax and people committed suicide before the end of the year so their family would lose the money when estate taxes came back in 2011. I wonder how many people did this during the great recession when they lost everything. I know this Post is supposed to lead to an argument over Medical Care for all(not something i am necessarily against) but we can't help everyone with everything to prevent tragedies like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:50 AM
 
738 posts, read 373,736 times
Reputation: 2216
In an irrational world, full of hypocrisy and legal contradictions, perhaps suicide was the rational choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,280 posts, read 41,218,906 times
Reputation: 30058
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Sad unfortunately stress over money issues can lead to suicide. Remember in 2010 the year when there was no death tax and people committed suicide before the end of the year so their family would lose the money when estate taxes came back in 2011. I wonder how many people did this during the great recession when they lost everything. I know this Post is supposed to lead to an argument over Medical Care for all(not something i am necessarily against) but we can't help everyone with everything to prevent tragedies like this.


But we could do a helluva lot more than we do now if we'd stop going all over the world fighting endless wars of choice for others while crying SOCIALISM! at the mere thought of buying even a Band-Aid for an American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,789 posts, read 8,589,736 times
Reputation: 29571
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Sad unfortunately stress over money issues can lead to suicide. Remember in 2010 the year when there was no death tax and people committed suicide before the end of the year so their family would lose the money when estate taxes came back in 2011. I wonder how many people did this during the great recession when they lost everything. I know this Post is supposed to lead to an argument over Medical Care for all(not something i am necessarily against) but we can't help everyone with everything to prevent tragedies like this.
Not necessarily. Just that many people/agencies dropped the ball. There were many ways they could have gotten help. Where was the couple's family and friends? Did they not know of their troubles? And did they have Medicare? What were the bills that were going unpaid? And the big question, who killed who? Did the husband kill the wife, or the reverse? The article suggests the husband killed the wife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM
 
Location: SGV
25,170 posts, read 9,805,080 times
Reputation: 9812
Two people freely took their own lives?

And the controversy here is...?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
12,842 posts, read 4,335,991 times
Reputation: 10150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What a tragedy on so many levels. An elderly husband and wife died in an apparent murder-suicide in Washington state on August 7th. A 77-year-old man called 911 on Wednesday morning saying he planned to die by suicide. Despite attempts by crisis negotiators to stop it, the couple went through with it. Deputies found several notes throughout the home in which the couple expressed despair over high medical bills. If the couple couldn't afford their current medical bills, they would not have been able to afford psychiatric care also. I'm sure other factors contributed to their demise, but financial stresses certainly didn't help.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...about-n1040691
How many postings before we see a "Trump's a racist and that contributed to this"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,789 posts, read 8,589,736 times
Reputation: 29571
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Two people freely took their own lives?

And the controversy here is...?

You didn't read the article. One was murdered, for one thing. Secondly, uncontrolled medical bills played a role in their demise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM
 
Location: By the sea, by the sea, by the beautiful sea
58,280 posts, read 41,218,906 times
Reputation: 30058
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Two people freely took their own lives?

And the controversy here is...?


Are you just fine with the high suicide rate of veterans over what they saw/did in service to their country too? Should we just sit back and make no attempt at ending that also?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:21 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
14,789 posts, read 8,589,736 times
Reputation: 29571
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
How many postings before we see a "Trump's a racist and that contributed to this"?
7. You posted that silly idea. No one else suggested any such thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top