U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:50 AM

3,849 posts, read 1,432,708 times

Advertisements

Too many wackos wandering around in America. The Mental Health System is broken. They won't keep anyone in institutions- release them after 2-3 days, and tell them to follow up on their meds and Counseling at the local clinic. Most won't do that- instead, they WON'T take their meds and they'll use meth! Taxpayers don't want to pay the cost of keeping these crazies locked up, and there are SOOOO many irresponsible legal gun owners. So, this is what we get.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:45 PM

67,051 posts, read 34,082,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Too many wackos wandering around in America. The Mental Health System is broken. They won't keep anyone in institutions- release them after 2-3 days, and tell them to follow up on their meds and Counseling at the local clinic. Most won't do that- instead, they WON'T take their meds and they'll use meth! Taxpayers don't want to pay the cost of keeping these crazies locked up, and there are SOOOO many irresponsible legal gun owners. So, this is what we get.
It was broken before they closed the doors on the Asylums.

Old Today, 03:20 PM

5,165 posts, read 2,265,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
It is true that many mass murderers are often loners and/or people with mental issues. However, most people with such conditions don't commit violent crimes. I wonder what it is about some that sets them off to the point of committing such violent acts.
hasn't almost everyone of them had a social media account? This gives them a place to validate their insanity...Ö..

Old Today, 03:30 PM

6,873 posts, read 2,475,798 times
I think if 4chan and 8chan could get shut down, mass shootings wouldn't happen. IMO, 4chan and 8chan are the root of the problem.

Old Today, 04:58 PM

1,874 posts, read 1,961,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I think if 4chan and 8chan could get shut down, mass shootings wouldn't happen. IMO, 4chan and 8chan are the root of the problem.
WTF???!@

Old Today, 05:20 PM

494 posts, read 110,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
By your logic, we should lock up everyone with a mental illness or who likes to be alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I never said lock them up, there should be intervention. It's not so simple, most loners are harmless but some have deviant minds should be monitored. They should be scored based on their psychic eval. If you want to prevent future mass murders there needs to be a task force that deals with people who are ticking bombs. Take away the weapons, they will find another way.
An issue for me in the mental health discussion is that people with a problem - addiction or dependency, anti-social behaviors, depression, bullied or rejected, misfits - whatever name you want to put on it - anyone that needs help has to first want the help. Even then, there are no guarantees.

Short of some sort of court ordered institutionalisation, how do we manage or monitor these people in the general population? Who has oversight...and on and on. I hate to drag out the slippery slope factor, but there it is again.

Because nothing gets done in DC, I see this as issue as one that will remain unresolved.

Old Today, 05:32 PM

2,617 posts, read 1,315,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Project funded through National Institute of Justice has found four common elements.

1) "First, the vast majority of mass shooters in our study experienced early childhood trauma and exposure to violence at a young age."

2) "Practically every mass shooter we studied had reached an identifiable crisis point in the weeks or months leading up to the shooting. They often had become angry and despondent because of a specific grievance."

3) "Most of the shooters had studied the actions of other shooters and sought validation for their motives."

4) "The shooters all had the means to carry out their plans. Once someone decides life is no longer worth living and that murdering others would be a proper revenge, only means and opportunity stand in the way of another mass shooting."

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...-shooters-data

Food for thought.
I've also read that report funded by the NIJ. It's the most comprehensive research I've come across thus far that points to common traits of mass shooters.

Too bad not one of those four symptoms are under anyone's control.

Old Today, 05:40 PM

261 posts, read 92,184 times
Most MM's come from fatherless homes. When I heard about the extremely horrible childhood Charles Manson endured it didn't surprise me that he turned out like he did.

Old Today, 06:00 PM

7,497 posts, read 4,516,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Blaming guns is not the solution, I believe in some form of gun control but I don't think full gun control will prevent mass murders.

Take the mass murder of 33 people in Japan. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-49027178

The person who started the fire was upset that his personal works was copied by the animation studio so he set the place on fire. No guns and weapons was used.
That sounds like the motivation was revenge or anger and not directly related to mental illness. It's funny that those who say guns are not THE problem then seem to turn around and imply that mental illness is. My hunch? Every situation is different and no one things is directly attributable to every mass murder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or