Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 10:10 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,078,640 times

Advertisements

"A company memo that circulated on Twitter this week tells employees to immediately remove signs and displays that reference violence, including video game demos, movies that depict violence and hunting videos."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/retail/w...ideo-game-guns

Not clear on whether they are only removing signs depicting violent imagery, or actual violent video games.

Edit: apparently they still sell everything they sold before, it's just that they are not putting up displays of violent video games or playing violent movies/shows on their TVs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 10:14 AM

19,651 posts, read 9,198,230 times
Well, at least they have their priorities straight. (sarcasm)

Guns don't kill people -- movies and video games do.

Seriously, though, I do support the right of people to have pistols and rifles, and I have read articles that violent movies and video games do encourage real life violence, so I am not saying that pulling the violent video games was a bad thing.

However, I would like to know who is going to determine what constitutes a "violent" movie. Some of the early Disney animated movies were VERY violent, for example, but banning "Bambi" would be going a little too far, I think -- although I am quite sure that there are some people who would disagree with that.

Last edited by katharsis; 08-09-2019 at 10:35 AM..

Old 08-09-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Well, at least they have their priorities straight. (sarcasm)

Guns don't kill people -- movies and video games do.

Seriously, though, I do support the right of people to have pistols and rifles, and I have read articles that violent movies and video games do encourage real life violence, so I am not saying that pulling the violent video games was a bad thing.)

However, I would like to know who is going to determine what constitutes a "violent" movie. Some of the early Disney animated movies were VERY violent, for example, but banning "Bambi" would be going a little too far, I think -- although I am quite sure that there are some people who would disagree with that.
Trump said violent imagery is the problem, so they responded.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:38 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,263,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Except there is the same level of violent imagery in other countries with nowhere near the same level of violence as here.

So it won’t solve the problem but makes it look like they did something in response.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Except there is the same level of violent imagery in other countries with nowhere near the same level of violence as here.

So it won’t solve the problem but makes it look like they did something in response.
Correct.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:53 AM

2,594 posts, read 1,234,949 times
This country is insane.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:54 AM

45,400 posts, read 26,992,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Guns/weapons have been around for centuries. The explosion of violent images and information is a recent phenomenon. Now we are seeing a rash of these mass murderers.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:55 AM

6,172 posts, read 3,373,110 times
Walmart in my area stopped selling gun about five years ago as did Dicks.

Old 08-09-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Guns/weapons have been around for centuries. The explosion of violent images and information is a recent phenomenon. Now we are seeing a rash of these mass murderers.
One cannot legitimately deduce a cause-and-effect relationship between two variables solely on the basis of an observed association or correlation between them.

Old 08-09-2019, 11:06 AM

6,172 posts, read 3,373,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post

The problem with your statement is in other countries they don't have single parent families in general like there is in the US (13.7 million single parents in the United States today, and those parents are responsible for raising 22.4 million children.) and in most other countries they don't allow juveniles to run wild and unattended especially in their school systems.

https://www.verywellfamily.com/singl...s-data-2997668
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies