U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 11:12 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,347,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But they could also be anti-gun advocates; that's would be brilliant. It's certainly effective.
It is? There has been a lot of talk but relatively little has actually been implemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:14 AM

7,866 posts, read 4,448,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
It is? There has been a lot of talk but relatively little has actually been implemented.
I have no doubt that it will happen with all the public outcry every time it happens; probably sooner rather than later.

Old Today, 11:19 AM

1,063 posts, read 228,117 times
Too much time spent in this forum, is my pet theory.

Old Today, 11:26 AM

2,193 posts, read 665,206 times
Quote:
People have always had a) work stress, and b) guns. But people didn't "snap" and "go postal" before SSRIs.

By your logic we should see regular mass murders in places like Iceland, Canada, Australia and Sweden at similar rates to America. Yet we don't.

Old Today, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I have 3 causes...
Cowards
Gun Free Zones
Majority of people unarmed in public and unable to return fire.

They come loaded for bear, because the odds are, everyone is unarmed.
It would not matter how "loaded for bear" they are, if they had 10 to 15 guns pointed right back at them.
But you miss my point. If they have the capacity to kill hundreds, why is it always just a few?

Old Today, 11:32 AM

2,193 posts, read 665,206 times
Quote:
But you miss my point. If they have the capacity to kill hundreds, why is it always just a few?
Because someone stops them or people run away. When they are given time they kill and injure a lot of people. The Vegas shooter killed 60 people and injured 500 in the span of 10 minutes. The shooter in Dayton killed 9 people in less then a minute he could have killed a lot more but he was stopped by the police within a minute of his massacre.

Old Today, 11:34 AM

11,992 posts, read 4,096,105 times
Quote:
I have two: 1) SSRI use, especially in young people, in whom their use is contraindicated due to their tendency to induce both suicidal and homicidal ideation and action and 2) counterintuitively, anti-gun advocates "triggering" events that will advance the cause of gun control and eventual disarmament. Notice that they always come "loaded for bear" with the capacity to kill hundreds, yet only ever kill a dozen.

Yours?
There are people on exactly the same SSRI drugs for depression and anxiety in other countries and they don't go around commiting massacres as guns are not as readily available in modst other westernised countries. The same is also true of those who are "triggered" or have extremist views.

The 2017 Las Vegas shooter killed 58, and the recent Dayton shooter killed nine in 32 seconds, and would have killed a lot more if it were not for a passing police patrol.

Old Today, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post

By your logic we should see regular mass murders in places like Iceland, Canada, Australia and Sweden at similar rates to America. Yet we don't.
It's not all classes of antidepressants; it's the SSRIs specifically. Also, of course easy access to guns plays a role (it's multifactorial), but what is the "trigger" for the loss of impulse control? Assuming, again, it's not a planned strategy.

Old Today, 11:36 AM

316 posts, read 79,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post

That's easy - firearm availability.
Funny thing that the number of households with guns is dropping over time. According to the NYT, 51% in 1978, 36% in 2016.

Old Today, 11:39 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,347,096 times
Quote:
I have no doubt that it will happen with all the public outcry every time it happens; probably sooner rather than later.
But it still hasn't. I mean, if nothing happened after Sandy Hook, nothing ever will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies