U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 03:55 PM

24,940 posts, read 12,268,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
My belief is that true charity does not come with a tax deduction. I never report mine.
I do. I sometimes give flights to children and their families in my plane that have to travel for specialized treatment.

I write the trip off. Nice tax deduction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 03:55 PM

807 posts, read 147,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Thatís what family is for, not the village.

There are people with no family, or none capable of taking care of them.

Still, if you are poor, live modestly. Do not expect to have the same lifestyle as those who are not poor.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:59 PM

425 posts, read 116,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This question is the result of the current thread about the elderly couple's murder-suicide due to their inability to pay their medical bills (and possibly also due to the wife's health problems). One person was courageous (or foolish) enough to imply that he had absolutely no sympathy for them. That led me to wonder how many people would be willing to let the poor die if doing otherwise would put an additional financial burden on them.

So, in order to put some kind of number on it --

What percentage of your income would you be willing to "donate" through an additional tax deduction to help support those U.S. citizens who cannot support themselves? (Just to take the issue of illegal immigration out of the question.)

My answer would be either 0.5% or 1%.

However, my first choice would be to completely overhaul the U.S. healthcare and "welfare" system.
Your thread title has "REALLY" capitalized.

So, let me ask you - what does that mean?

What do YOU do, right now, for the "poor"?

Do you volunteer your time to help the poor, or take them in to stay in your house? That, to me, would indicate that you "REALLY" care.

Or is this just virtue signalling for what "REALLY" means?

Old 08-09-2019, 04:01 PM

12,490 posts, read 7,110,287 times
expressing words of sympathy and compassion for the poor are irrelevant and self-serving, virtue signaling, hand wringing, BS.

Your question should be, "how many have or do volunteer their time and/or their money to help the less fortunate?"

Old 08-09-2019, 04:06 PM

20,241 posts, read 19,245,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Thatís what family is for, not the village.
You are assuming everyone has a family? A family who loves them and will pay for them? It's just not true.

Lucky you if you're born into a well off family who will and can help you. Mostly, that's not what we're talking about though. We're talking about people who have fallen into dire circumstances and have no one to help them. Is the 35 year old woman who is left with two young kids after her husband runs off, supposed to beg her parents to support her? Fine, if they're wealthy. It probably would have worked out in the "olde" days down on the farm where they could have taken her in.

Today's families are spread far and wide across this country. Today's families live mostly in cities and towns and many are struggling, let alone support their grown children and grandchildren. And the other argument that the church is supposed to help them, usually falls flat too. The churches are often too busy making money for themselves and enriching their pastors or they just don't have enough money to begin with. In my life time I know of one person who did receive a payment from a church for her mortgage when the place made them pay for a new roof along with the monthly mortgage. She worked full time but didn't have extra thousands of $$ to pay for a roof due to poor maintenance and poor management. The one payment saved her neck--but this wasn't a case of long term poverty.

In most first world countries, the government helps the people. Government programs need to be fair though--no helping illegals or cheaters. Make it easier and more lucrative to work than to remain on the dole. Don't take their health insurance away when they start to work or if they can only get a part time job, for starters.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:10 PM

7,740 posts, read 4,431,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
They can get a job, if they try. They first go through a halfway house program to work themselves back into society and get a job. Remember what Beretta used to say...."Don't do the crime if you can't do the time". And the time for the crime doesn't necessarily end when they get out of prison.
Halfway houses are not offered everywhere to everyone. And even when they do to qualify they must show they can pay for their own health care. So they can go in broke/homeless and come out with no support or even money for a bus fare from the prison and at higher risk to commit crime than when they went in the first place.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:11 PM

10,422 posts, read 6,466,460 times
I like giving directly to organizations or the actual people themselves. The government seems to mess up everything, don't trust them. Volunteering is good too, very rewarding.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:28 PM

1,954 posts, read 650,214 times
I have very little sympathy for the poor. Mainly because if all of the poor people stopped having children, most social problems would go away within a generation. A desire for fairness and feelings of pride, in the best case, cause poor people to keep soldiering on through the ages. At worst, they are just irresponsibly procreating and abusing their children.

Lots of people cling to notions of self-determination, when reality seems to be that most people are buffeted about by fate and the chances of self-improvement are slim. So we all keep trudging forward in grim hope.

A small number of people can make the world a better place. A larger number can maintain the world they inherited. And a dispiritingly large number of people only make things worse.

Imagine the progress we could make if only groups A and B existed? Or only if group A existed?

Old 08-09-2019, 04:54 PM

7,740 posts, read 4,431,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
I have very little sympathy for the poor. Mainly because if all of the poor people stopped having children, most social problems would go away within a generation. A desire for fairness and feelings of pride, in the best case, cause poor people to keep soldiering on through the ages. At worst, they are just irresponsibly procreating and abusing their children.

Lots of people cling to notions of self-determination, when reality seems to be that most people are buffeted about by fate and the chances of self-improvement are slim. So we all keep trudging forward in grim hope.

A small number of people can make the world a better place. A larger number can maintain the world they inherited. And a dispiritingly large number of people only make things worse.

Imagine the progress we could make if only groups A and B existed? Or only if group A existed?
If all the poor people disappeared the middle class would just be the new poor.

Old 08-09-2019, 05:06 PM

7,719 posts, read 4,600,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Why go through the government? Give through a charity, church, or give directly.

Also - money is not the only way to help the poor.
Diabetics need insulin. Insulin can be hugely expensive especially if you don't realize that health care and insurance coverage is basically a scam and there are ways to play the system. Si in many ways, money is often the best and maybe even the only way to help the poor.

Now by playing the system, I don't mean cheating it. For instance, I tried to get my insulin filled after going on Medicare after my disability. It was going to be between $500 and $600 a month. That was more than I was paying for rent at the time. No way I could afford it. The pharmacist suggest I ask the doctor to change the prescription to a certain kind of insulin, which he did, but it was still too much. My social worker with my home health nursing facility that was coming out suggested a few ideas and walked me through the system and suddenlt my insulin for a month is entirely affordable, like $20 a month.

So good for me, right? Sure, but why must me walk through a maze to get what anyone can get? And what about the folks who don't know to do this? And I suppose someone with a different Medicare letter might not be able to get this. And oddly that was one thing the social worker was able to do, get me better coverage after Medicare told me I was one letter and not the other. It's a scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or