U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 05:57 PM

8,699 posts, read 8,616,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This question is the result of the current thread about the elderly couple's murder-suicide due to their inability to pay their medical bills (and possibly also due to the wife's health problems). One person was courageous (or foolish) enough to imply that he had absolutely no sympathy for them. That led me to wonder how many people would be willing to let the poor die if doing otherwise would put an additional financial burden on them.

So, in order to put some kind of number on it --

What percentage of your income would you be willing to "donate" through an additional tax deduction to help support those U.S. citizens who cannot support themselves? (Just to take the issue of illegal immigration out of the question.)

My answer would be either 0.5% or 1%.

However, my first choice would be to completely overhaul the U.S. healthcare and "welfare" system.
The only people I worry about put their feet under my table......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 11:05 PM

7,740 posts, read 4,431,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
Wealth is relative, but welfare is not.
Exactly wealth is relative. There will always be poor people unless you go full communist. If the poor were wiped out it would be the “middle class” who could no longer afford housing and such.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:39 AM

1,954 posts, read 650,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Exactly wealth is relative. There will always be poor people unless you go full communist. If the poor were wiped out it would be the “middle class” who could no longer afford housing and such.
Welfare means meeting your material needs, while wealth is about status.

Using your example of housing, there is a segment of the population incapable of building their own housing. They could not learn how. They depend on other people to build housing and they trade money for that housing earned doing other things.

There is a further group of people who are incapable of learning any skill which they could use to earn money to trade for housing. So they depend on charity, whether public or private, for housing.

Both groups are concentrated among the poor. If you start sliding the left end of the bell curve rightward, I agree the status hierarchy does not change. But there are fewer and fewer people who are incapable of doing anything to provide for themselves.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:45 AM

31,107 posts, read 32,021,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
You already know my answer.
Yes we all do.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
This question is the result of the current thread about the elderly couple's murder-suicide due to their inability to pay their medical bills (and possibly also due to the wife's health problems). One person was courageous (or foolish) enough to imply that he had absolutely no sympathy for them. That led me to wonder how many people would be willing to let the poor die if doing otherwise would put an additional financial burden on them.

What percentage of your income would you be willing to "donate" through an additional tax deduction to help support those U.S. citizens who cannot support themselves? (Just to take the issue of illegal immigration out of the question.)

However, my first choice would be to completely overhaul the U.S. healthcare and "welfare" system.
Your first choice would be a good one....This couples situation would never have happened in Canada.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:48 AM

24,940 posts, read 12,268,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Diabetics need insulin. Insulin can be hugely expensive especially if you don't realize that health care and insurance coverage is basically a scam and there are ways to play the system. Si in many ways, money is often the best and maybe even the only way to help the poor.

Now by playing the system, I don't mean cheating it. For instance, I tried to get my insulin filled after going on Medicare after my disability. It was going to be between $500 and $600 a month. That was more than I was paying for rent at the time. No way I could afford it. The pharmacist suggest I ask the doctor to change the prescription to a certain kind of insulin, which he did, but it was still too much. My social worker with my home health nursing facility that was coming out suggested a few ideas and walked me through the system and suddenlt my insulin for a month is entirely affordable, like $20 a month.

So good for me, right? Sure, but why must me walk through a maze to get what anyone can get? And what about the folks who don't know to do this? And I suppose someone with a different Medicare letter might not be able to get this. And oddly that was one thing the social worker was able to do, get me better coverage after Medicare told me I was one letter and not the other. It's a scam.
Most type 2 diabetics eat their way to their condition.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Somewhere around $700-1000 a month figure is adequate (depends on where you live) if paired with housing, food, and medical assistance. A disabled person living by themselves and no other obligations can live just fine on that amount.
You cannot be serious.

Old 08-10-2019, 04:58 AM

24,940 posts, read 12,268,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You cannot be serious.
That’s only if the village isn’t paying.

Personal responsibility is absent.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:02 AM

13,057 posts, read 4,437,710 times
Quote:

I don't rely on the government here and nobody else has to either. I recently found an organization called Food For The Poor and sent them $100. It's a small start, and I plan to give more. The charity seems to have their act together and they have been around since the early 80's. It's amazing what you can find, when you dig around in the internet.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:58 AM

1,305 posts, read 444,389 times
The poor were 90% of the population before the industrial age, and will be again after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or