U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 09:16 AM

2,222 posts, read 945,875 times

Advertisements

It's funny how we automatically accept the premise that the wealthy will always create an underclass to service their needs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Exactly wealth is relative. There will always be poor people unless you go full communist. If the poor were wiped out it would be the “middle class” who could no longer afford housing and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 09:23 AM

3,675 posts, read 1,003,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This question is the result of the current thread about the elderly couple's murder-suicide due to their inability to pay their medical bills (and possibly also due to the wife's health problems). One person was courageous (or foolish) enough to imply that he had absolutely no sympathy for them. That led me to wonder how many people would be willing to let the poor die if doing otherwise would put an additional financial burden on them.

So, in order to put some kind of number on it --

What percentage of your income would you be willing to "donate" through an additional tax deduction to help support those U.S. citizens who cannot support themselves? (Just to take the issue of illegal immigration out of the question.)

My answer would be either 0.5% or 1%.

However, my first choice would be to completely overhaul the U.S. healthcare and "welfare" system.
I have very little sympathy. Fact is, my family was poor. They came as poor immigrants from Europe during Hitler's reign. And they had no hand outs except maybe a couple of churches to teach them English and help them get established into the community to get jobs. After that, they worked hard, saved money, bought houses and cars and became part of the community until the government came in and shut down all the coal plants with the EPA act. My family became poor once again. My dad and his uncle decided to move to Florida and take advantage of the construction boom going on. They were still poor, but he and my aunt and uncle who were also poor, managed to raise a family without any help from social programs. So, if we can do it, so can anybody. I have very little contempt for someone who cries they are poor and want constant handouts to help them out.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:23 AM

2,421 posts, read 793,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
For the elderly and children- I have a lot of sympathy. For the mothers that refuse to use birth control- not much. For the lazy- none.
Exactly. Many poor people are poor because of their own bad choices and lack of discipline. I have no sympathy for people like that. They made their own bed.

The disabled, whether mentally or physically, or children who are born into the disfunction. I have a lot of sympathy for and have no problem helping.

The sad thing is, many of those children born into poverty become just like their parents because they have nothing better to look up to.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:24 AM

2,222 posts, read 945,875 times
The couples situation didn't need to happen here either. It's not the first time someone panicked and chose suicide as an answer to their imagined problems. There were other ways out. Lots of poor people with no resources get medical services. I think there's more to the story. I personally knew a man who killed himself when he was fired from his job. Another was a mother who couldn't face that her son was bipolar. Another man I knew killed himself when his wife left him and took his daughter with her. Another man at work couldn't deal with PTSD. In all these cases there were alternative ways to deal with the problems they had if they had been willing and able to think out of the box and forget about the way things were, and make another future for themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Your first choice would be a good one....This couples situation would never have happened in Canada.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:28 AM

33,591 posts, read 20,447,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post

What percentage of your income would you be willing to "donate" through an additional tax deduction to help support those U.S. citizens who cannot support themselves? (Just to take the issue of illegal immigration out of the question.)

My answer would be either 0.5% or 1%.

However, my first choice would be to completely overhaul the U.S. healthcare and "welfare" system.
My answer would be 0% because I don't want the government to define the "poor" for me.

I donate my time and money to help the people in need through charity organizations and churches. I know these people's true stories.

Old 08-10-2019, 09:39 AM

25,916 posts, read 10,001,595 times
I'm the primary financial caregiver for my elderly mother and disabled sister.

1. If I wasn't paying Sammy and his underlings a boatload of taxes per year I'd have more to give these two.

2. If I could trust and therefore use the services I'm buying via taxes that Sammy Inc. forces me to pay for I would have more time for other endeavors.

* In all fairness to Sammy Inc. my other sister handles the day-to-day duties for my dependents. He's stealing her time and labor on that part. He's stealing my time, labor, and money through my job.

Old 08-10-2019, 12:01 PM

12,176 posts, read 16,942,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Most type 2 diabetics eat their way to their condition.
Type 2 diabetics aren't the ones who typically need insulin.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:50 AM
Status: "beware: jokes about biden are against the TOS" (set 18 days ago)

1,017 posts, read 190,923 times
government isn't a charity nor should it ever be run that way

Old 08-11-2019, 01:38 PM

30,904 posts, read 33,816,243 times
The government takes more than enough to provide a safety net for people who will never be able to care for themselves through no fault of their own, but the corruption and stupidity involved in managing the money prevents it from happening.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:09 PM

7,209 posts, read 2,618,408 times
I grew up poor, and because of my wastrel mother, I encountered as many "poor" people as I did successful or even marginally useful. Since my adult years, I have personally known and encountered plenty of "poor" people. As a result of a lifetime of experience, I can say without any hesitation or reservation whatsoever that for the "poor" of the United States, I have exactly zero sympathy or compassion.

The disabled who are either physically or mentally incapable of work are not what I even consider poor. I consider them proper charity cases and worthy of support, but 99% of the poor in this country are not disabled, they are lazy and addicted to bad choices. 52 years later, the pattern is almost perfectly reliable. You find me the poor person, and they'll almost immediately reveal why their laziness and horrible decision making made them poor, and why their continued laziness and bad decisions will keep them that way, no matter how much sympathy or compassion anyone shows them, especially with money.

And it starts with my own mother, who would con half of you into supporting her, since she has a gift for getting suckers to pay for her sloth. But I know the con. I've been watching/hearing it my whole life, and not just from her, but from all the wastrels she surrounded herself with and every other poor person I have ever met.

Poverty is a choice for virtually every American living it. Period. No sympathy or compassion for people choosing their lot in life and then constantly choosing to maintain that life exactly the way it is.

I give to St. Judes because that I do have compassion and sympathy for, as no child chooses to have cancer or some horrible illness. I give to various animal shelters and rescue groups because abused and homeless pets didn't choose their predicament, a dumbass lazy human forced it on them. Beyond that, if a legit charity case presents itself, I'll be the first person to step up and volunteer whatever help I can, but 99% of our "poor" are just simple lazy wastrels who want to glide through life on zero effort.

I know what my eyes have seen. Poor people want their life and they make it exactly the way they want it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or