U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 07:12 PM

5,077 posts, read 3,769,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This question is the result of the current thread about the elderly couple's murder-suicide due to their inability to pay their medical bills (and possibly also due to the wife's health problems). One person was courageous (or foolish) enough to imply that he had absolutely no sympathy for them. That led me to wonder how many people would be willing to let the poor die if doing otherwise would put an additional financial burden on them.

So, in order to put some kind of number on it --

What percentage of your income would you be willing to "donate" through an additional tax deduction to help support those U.S. citizens who cannot support themselves? (Just to take the issue of illegal immigration out of the question.)

My answer would be either 0.5% or 1%.

However, my first choice would be to completely overhaul the U.S. healthcare and "welfare" system.
Most Americans are very giving, help the poor and we donate more to help others than any other country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 07:19 PM

3,415 posts, read 1,672,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This question is the result of the current thread about the elderly couple's murder-suicide due to their inability to pay their medical bills (and possibly also due to the wife's health problems). One person was courageous (or foolish) enough to imply that he had absolutely no sympathy for them. That led me to wonder how many people would be willing to let the poor die if doing otherwise would put an additional financial burden on them.

So, in order to put some kind of number on it --

What percentage of your income would you be willing to "donate" through an additional tax deduction to help support those U.S. citizens who cannot support themselves? (Just to take the issue of illegal immigration out of the question.)

My answer would be either 0.5% or 1%.

However, my first choice would be to completely overhaul the U.S. healthcare and "welfare" system.
I worked for a woman I respected very much. Before she became my boss, she worked in a department that approved welfare for poor people. She hated her job because she said the people who needed it most, would receive very little welfare, such as grandparents raising children. The people who benefited the most? They were capable of working but chose not to and were getting their hair and nails done.

I have sympathy but what I don't trust is for the right people to receive the money.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:49 PM

4,199 posts, read 1,623,490 times
I'm old. Please send me money

Old 08-11-2019, 08:12 PM

19,314 posts, read 7,597,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Why go through the government? Give through a charity, church, or give directly.

Also - money is not the only way to help the poor.
Correct, on all points.

Government is the worst method to use to help.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:14 PM

30,880 posts, read 15,891,319 times
The DNC has a vested interest in keeping them poor, so I doubt many Democrat politicians have any empathy. They need them poor.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:45 AM

3,863 posts, read 1,454,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Do you have so much sympathy that you actually vote for politicians who are not corrupt and campaign on significantly raising the $700 a month ceiling that people who are born disabled and cant work can get in monetary benefits?
Who are these politicians?

Old 08-12-2019, 11:19 AM

32,633 posts, read 60,420,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I review applications for young adult cancer survivors who are seeking small amounts of financial assistance to get back on track following treatment. We're talking $2000 to pay back rent, $1000 to pay off that last medical bill that's in collections, $800 for a computer so they can take online classes, $100 so they can afford a suit to wear to interviews after a prolonged period of time out of work, etc. It's easier to get into Harvard than to get assistance from us, and we're the leading and largest organization serving this population.
That's fabulous. I was dumbstruck when, after my spouse began cancer treatments, how little help there really is for people in that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Most type 2 diabetics eat their way to their condition.
Incorrect. Look it up.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:31 AM

332 posts, read 102,049 times
The "safety net" that so many speak of today is threatening to take down the whole ship.
Provide for the veterans of this country, the elder poor and disabled? Absolutely. We have a societal obligation to do so.
It is a parental obligation for those who have children to provide for them. Personally, in this day and age, with the availability of numerous birth control devices/methods imaginable, to and including the ever controversial topic of abortion, there is no reason for unwanted children to be born in this country, unless there's a perceived (or real) financial reason to do so; in other words, more kids, more welfare. How is this benefiting anyone?
We have too many people with their hands out these days, and more coming ashore or across both borders, looking to cash in on the "American Dream", courtesy of the taxpayers who are still working in an effort to realize their own "American Dream".

Old 08-12-2019, 12:47 PM

7,719 posts, read 4,600,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Somewhere around $700-1000 a month figure is adequate (depends on where you live) if paired with housing, food, and medical assistance. A disabled person living by themselves and no other obligations can live just fine on that amount.
Well, here in the real world, I could not live off that amount. Luckily I et a little more than than, but it is still hard to make ends meet. Finding somewhere to live is the hardest part. I recently moved in with friends because money was tight. One of the first decisions I had to make was to get rid of my truck. Even though it was paid for, I could not afford upkeep and the basics like gas. (Never mind that things started breaking on it)

The "medical assistance" can be, dare I say, interesting. You have to spend an ungodly amount of time on the phone or talking with folks like I mentioned in a previous post on this thread. They don't make it easy on you to find the assisstance and I totally understand why folks older than me give up ad quit trying to get it.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:54 PM

7,719 posts, read 4,600,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Most type 2 diabetics eat their way to their condition.
And....? Thean means what?

If you saw me, I am not the stereotypical person you THINK is diabetic by seeing them in Walmart.

Key word there being most. Meaning even in your view, not all fit that bill. I am just accepting your notion as fact for this thread. You care to back that up with a link?

But on the other hand, we send drug addicts and alcoholics to rehab.

Deep down inside, I know I am wasting my time telling this to you.

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 08-12-2019 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or