Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 02:03 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Why should I have to give more to the federal government for this. There already are plenty of programs to help those who need it.
Really?

So if you were born disabled, could never work, or perhaps were involved in a car accident as a child and became permanently disabled, you can get a maximum of $700 a month. Do you really think that is adequate and plenty?

If you bring up section 8 housing and how luxurious it is, lets remember that you are far from guaranteed that and in addition could wait ten years or more to be accepted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 02:06 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,771 times
It all depends.

But I can tell you that I am ALOT LESS sympathetic after working for the system that provides for the poor some years back.

I can't tell you how many times I have been told "Why would i work? I'll get less money from the government than the money I would be making if I worked."

Old 08-09-2019, 02:10 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It all depends.

But I can tell you that I am ALOT LESS sympathetic after working for the system that provides for the poor some years back.

I can't tell you how many times I have been told "Why would i work? I'll get less money from the government than the money I would be making if I worked."
So why do you not attack the system that provides wrong incentives in that case, instead of attacking rational individuals?

Are you referring to means tested programs which are cut if a person makes above a certain threshold? Then attack those means tested programs instead and advocate for a universal system where people dont lose their healthcare or their home if they start working.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:11 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
This question is the result of the current thread about the elderly couple's murder-suicide due to their inability to pay their medical bills (and possibly also due to the wife's health problems). One person was courageous (or foolish) enough to imply that he had absolutely no sympathy for them. That led me to wonder how many people would be willing to let the poor die if doing otherwise would put an additional financial burden on them.

So, in order to put some kind of number on it --

What percentage of your income would you be willing to "donate" through an additional tax deduction to help support those U.S. citizens who cannot support themselves? (Just to take the issue of illegal immigration out of the question.)

My answer would be either 0.5% or 1%.

However, my first choice would be to completely overhaul the U.S. healthcare and "welfare" system.

Yes, a lot of people are willing to let the poor die. From my own experiences in life, if a person is in such poor health, elderly, disabled or anything that impedes their ability to contribute in terms of personal income (government benefits do not count as income), then most people do not feel sorry for them. In fact, I think the majority of people nowadays would vote yes to some sort of end-of-life procedure for people who become a burden upon society if that were possible. People are just not willing to donate any portion of their income to support those who cannot support themselves long term. Many would rather commit suicide than be poor for the rest of their lives.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:11 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,126,254 times
This really depends on how exactly they became poor. I have a lot of sympathy and compassion for the poor that are this way because of physical and/or mental disabilities stemming from birth defects and/or accidents and old age. For those who are poor because they just got out of prison for criminal behavior, drug use, or just plain not wanting to work to support themselves, I have none.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:15 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Really?

So if you were born disabled, could never work, or perhaps were involved in a car accident as a child and became permanently disabled, you can get a maximum of $700 a month. Do you really think that is adequate and plenty?

If you bring up section 8 housing and how luxurious it is, lets remember that you are far from guaranteed that and in addition could wait ten years or more to be accepted.

Somewhere around $700-1000 a month figure is adequate (depends on where you live) if paired with housing, food, and medical assistance. A disabled person living by themselves and no other obligations can live just fine on that amount.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:19 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,554,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Very true!! However, if the question I asked was actually debated in Congress -- meaning that they were actually considering imposing some kind of "poor tax" -- what would be your personal limit before you would raise 'holy Hades' with your representative or Senator?
We already pay prodigious amounts of $$$ to help the poor remain slothful/irresponsible. Buckets of $$. I am willing to only pay less, much less, NOT more.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:37 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Due to my past experience as a teacher, I have seen many examples of kids who are poor and because of being poor, do not achieve much in school or even in wider life.

Their parents are stressed out from working too many jobs, or there is just one parent working all the time while the kids are left alone. I visited the home of one of my six year olds and the eight year old was responsible for cooking and watching the younger ones. The husband had run off and the mother was always working. I figured something was wrong because these kids seemed intelligent but were poorly dressed and acted up in class.

Our welfare system is broken. As far as I know, as soon as they start to work, they are penalized by losing their health insurance and having their rent raised. So, just as they say, they were better off on welfare. BTW, their subsidized rent is based upon their gross pay--not fair to base it upon money they never even see.

If they fix our welfare system so that it eases people into the workforce and allows them to keep the money they earn and some form of health insurance, I'd gladly pay more in taxes. This is a rich country but the money is going to the wrong places and the welfare system is flawed.

Last edited by in_newengland; 08-09-2019 at 03:46 PM..

Old 08-09-2019, 02:45 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,438,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeyore1954 View Post
Why should I have to give more to the federal government for this. There already are plenty of programs to help those who need it. I am in favor of a safety net but I feel the net has gotten too large and covers people who don’t need it.

I a

Looking for the "plenty of programs."

Echo.... Echo....

I review applications for young adult cancer survivors who are seeking small amounts of financial assistance to get back on track following treatment. We're talking $2000 to pay back rent, $1000 to pay off that last medical bill that's in collections, $800 for a computer so they can take online classes, $100 so they can afford a suit to wear to interviews after a prolonged period of time out of work, etc. It's easier to get into Harvard than to get assistance from us, and we're the leading and largest organization serving this population.

One of the reasons why I'm constantly posting in these kinds of threads is that people seem to think there's all kinds of help out there. There just isn't. The only assistance I could find when I was diagnosed with stage IV cancer a month after my 23rd birthday was the local food bank.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
I was poor for several years in my twenties and the last thing on my mind was wondering if other people felt compassion for me. I was too busy looking for a job, then looking for a better job. I didn’t need compassion. I needed a damn paycheck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies