U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM

9,915 posts, read 3,227,028 times

Advertisements

So why aren’t the media all over Warren, Gillibrand, and Harris for speeding this hoax?

Old Yesterday, 03:28 PM

37,235 posts, read 45,937,648 times
My opinion is that Elizabeth Warren is a contender only because she seems less threatening than her counterparts. She’s like your kindergarten teacher, or your kindly piano teacher.

Whomever gets the nomination is going to be turned into hamburger by Trump. The only Dems who have made sense so far are those who are not getting any name recognition. Fine by me.

Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 11 days ago)

3,562 posts, read 637,157 times
I actually liked Warren for a while and figured I would support her in the primaries. She has basically been running just to the right of Bernie, which I consider as my preferred lane.

But she has jumped all over the race-baiting stuff, in this case and in others. She called Trump a white supremacist with zero evidence.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/08/polit...ist/index.html

I don't want someone like that running the Dept. of Justice. If you make an accusation, back it up with evidence.

Old Yesterday, 05:27 PM
Status: "but it depends on what the definition of "is" is." (set 11 days ago)

3,562 posts, read 637,157 times
From today:
https://www.nationalreview.com/corne...-ferguson-lie/

Quote:
“Every police officer in America should be offended by Sen. Warren’s ill-informed, inflammatory tweet today,” Jeff Roorda of the St. Louis Police Officers Association told me via email. “Holding a would-be cop killer out as some sort of victim or worse yet, a hero, does no justice to the truth or to reconciliation. Her careless words disqualify her from fitness to serve impartially as commander-in-chief.”

Old Yesterday, 06:36 PM

12 posts, read 831 times
Pretty much all right wing garbage.

To start off Brown was no thug. While his complete juvenile record has not been released it has been disclosed he had no major convictions. And he was a fresh high school graduate going on to college. The only dirt that has come up on him was a game penalty for being the third man in an inline hockey brawl. There is nothing thuggish about that.

The store issue is more complex. First off this appears to be his regular neighborhood store where he was almost certainly well known. So he is not trying to pull off a strong arm. You do not strong arm people who know you. Second he had some dealings at 1AM the night before. The nature of that dealing will never be well known as only the store employees and Brown were present. And the store employees have no reason to tell the truth if it was a pot for cigar exchange. Note however that if he wanted to strong arm the store that would have been a much more reasonable time to do it.

The battle with the cop is much more complicated. Johnson, Brown's companion, had the best insight and has never varied in his story. Yes there was a fight through the police car window. However how it was initiated and what happened remain in doubt. Johnson says Wilson grabbed Brown. And was the battle to keep Wilson from shooting Brown, that is self defense, or was Wilson fighting to keep Brown from his pistol?

And it is pretty obvious that the car battle ended when Wilson put a round through Brown's hand. But what then happens is much more complicated than a simple shooting of an attacking guy.

First off Brown is big and much is made of the big Black dude. However Wilson is also big. As tall as Brown though significantly lighter. But being in the same class as these two I would think Wilson should have been able to do a job on Brown. Training and conditioning and a club. So out in the open Wilson should have been able to easily deal with the bigger guy. Particularly as Wilson has a club which counters for a whole lot of weight. All Wilson needs to do is stall for less than two minutes whereupon other cops arrive. Instead it appears he shot at Brown 10 times.

I would not argue with the Grand Jury view that one could not prove a crime beyond a reasonable doubt. But it was still and unreasonable killing. And the whole thing could have been avoided if Wilson went for his Taser or his Billy club instead of his gun.

Old Yesterday, 06:52 PM

9,011 posts, read 2,564,797 times
Warren is race baiting plain and simple.

Brown was approached by Wilson because he and his friend were walking up the middle of the road for no apparent reason.

In my town a pair of white boys would have been stopped for the same exact reason.

Brown it is claimed attacked the police officer through the window of his car. White black or purple, that is never going to have a happy ending and it doesn't matter what town you are from.

Brown's friend says? Well he isn't going to speak out against his friend no matter what the facts might be, especially in support of a police officer.

The convenience store issue. If I am not mistaken.(It's been a few years) The video shows Brown taking the cigars without paying. It also shows brown facing down the clerk.

In my experience strong arming people is an act of establishing dominance. Its about arrogance and entitlement. They do it because they feel they can. Time of day doesn't matter because it isn't about intelligence. The more they have gotten away with it the more they feel empowered to do it.Warren making Brown out to be a victim is a disservice to legitimate victims of police abuses.

Warren is the worst kind of race baiter. The left complains about Trump being divisive, the democrats have been over playing the race card for over a decade.

Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM

12 posts, read 831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Warren is race baiting plain and simple.

Brown was approached by Wilson because he and his friend were walking up the middle of the road for no apparent reason.

In my town a pair of white boys would have been stopped for the same exact reason.

Brown it is claimed attacked the police officer through the window of his car. White black or purple, that is never going to have a happy ending and it doesn't matter what town you are from.

Brown's friend says? Well he isn't going to speak out against his friend no matter what the facts might be, especially in support of a police officer.

The convenience store issue. If I am not mistaken.(It's been a few years) The video shows Brown taking the cigars without paying. It also shows brown facing down the clerk.

In my experience strong arming people is an act of establishing dominance. Its about arrogance and entitlement. They do it because they feel they can. Time of day doesn't matter because it isn't about intelligence. The more they have gotten away with it the more they feel empowered to do it.Warren making Brown out to be a victim is a disservice to legitimate victims of police abuses.

Warren is the worst kind of race baiter. The left complains about Trump being divisive, the democrats have been over playing the race card for over a decade.

You need to read the record again. The cop hollered at them to get "the fu*k out of the road". He then stopped and backed up and whacked them with his door. And the battle was on. Again the issue that will likely never be resolved was did Brown go for the gun to take it or to keep himself from being shot. There si no real question that they fought for the gun and Wilson shot Brown in the hand causing Brown to run. That is when the bad part starts.

The friend was not that kind of friend. A couple of week relationship. And a straight guy no thug.

This is a smart kid in his local neighborhood. He had no need or reason to dominate.

Warren is simply pointing out it was a bad shoot. True no matter who goes to jail. Should not have happened. And was easily avoidable by simply following reasonable police procedure. There is no reason that Wilson had to face down Brown and that point. Could have waited two minutes and had 3 other officers with him. He volunteered to make it an immediate battle.

Old Yesterday, 07:04 PM

5,368 posts, read 2,024,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLV View Post
Pretty much all right wing garbage.
So out in the open Wilson should have been able to easily deal with the bigger guy. Particularly as Wilson has a club which counters for a whole lot of weight. All Wilson needs to do is stall for less than two minutes whereupon other cops arrive. Instead it appears he shot at Brown 10 times.

I would not argue with the Grand Jury view that one could not prove a crime beyond a reasonable doubt. But it was still and unreasonable killing. And the whole thing could have been avoided if Wilson went for his Taser or his Billy club instead of his gun.
False. If you use your body (strength) to try and murder a cop with his own firearm, the next time that you advance that body toward the cop you can always expect to die. That's universal and Wilson was unquestionably justified. He had no mandate to fend off Brown with anything less than lethal force, given Brown's prior attempt.

Anything less puts Wilson's life at unreasonable risk. If Brown didn't want to die he needed to have stayed put. He didn't and that was his choice. To state or think otherwise is fantasy armchair quarterbacking of the situation, and it has no basis in the life and death reality of the situation nor what cops are permitted to do in spite of the opinions of armchair quarterbacks.

Brown's repeated actions put him in the ground. And the case is literally closed.

Old Yesterday, 08:56 PM

9,934 posts, read 4,689,694 times
There was several black witnesses who backed up Wilson, And then the old "hand up don't shoot" that was a total lie.

Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM

2,570 posts, read 885,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/ewarren/s...02078103445507

Michael Brown was a thief, he robbed a man's store at gun-point, he then beat up the man, he proceeded to resist arrest, try to take a gun from a police officer and got shot. This is not the resume of a hero or a martyr.
He was not armed. He did not beat anybody up. He did steal some cigars, and threatened the storekeeper. He allegedly tried to take the officers gun. All of these are bad actions, but not ones that would normally result in a death sentence. He then fled, and the policeman, assuming the role of judge, jury and executioner, fired at him. These are all facts that are not in dispute.

Only two people in the world really know what happened next. One of them is dead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or