U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2019, 02:25 PM

4,601 posts, read 2,170,742 times

Advertisements

In another thread, someone asserted that the Anti-Defamation League is:
  • a controversial far-left Jewish organization that supports Israel
  • a clueless mouthpiece for the western left
  • a biased and tilted propaganda machine

These comments got me thinking.

Then I stumbled on this recent article about them:

"When Minnesota Representative Ilhan Omar was attacked in March for “invoking the anti-Semitic trope of ‘dual loyalty’” in her criticisms of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), the Anti-Defamation League (ADL)—a Jewish non-govermental organization based in the United States, whose stated mission is “to stop the defamation of the Jewish people, and to secure justice and fair treatment to all”—was among the first to call on Congressional leaders to “take immediate action” against her."

The Anti-Defamation League Is Not What It Seems | Boston Review

So, it's complicated, I guess, like the ACLU.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2019, 02:50 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 8 days ago)

12,157 posts, read 6,433,532 times
The ADF is far left, but even they aren't blind to blatant antisemitism by the likes of Ilhan Omar, though the Democrat majority in the House apparently is.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:50 PM

40 posts, read 4,815 times
SPLC and ADL are both leftist anti American groups. That's well known. SPLC has been sued for claiming people are "racist" and the people who sued WON!

Old 08-09-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
The ADF (sic) is far left, but even they aren't blind to blatant antisemitism by the likes of Ilhan Omar, though the Democrat majority in the House apparently is.
So, it's complicated.

I'm just looking for common ground.

Old 08-09-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ET14 View Post
SPLC and ADL are both leftist anti American groups. That's well known. SPLC has been sued for claiming people are "racist" and the people who sued WON!
I didn't bring up SPLC.

I was unaware that the ADL was seen this way, considering how pro-Israel they are.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:18 PM

1,402 posts, read 488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post

"When Minnesota Representative Ilhan Omar was attacked in March for “invoking the anti-Semitic trope of ‘dual loyalty’” in her criticisms of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC), the Anti-Defamation League (ADL)—a Jewish non-govermental organization based in the United States, whose stated mission is “to stop the defamation of the Jewish people, and to secure justice and fair treatment to all”—was among the first to call on Congressional leaders to “take immediate action” against her."

Its good you at least thought about it. The ADL is indeed far left, but their main 2 priorities differ from much of the others on the far left.

1- . Anti semitism (sometimes they just make crap up, like many looking for "racism", hence propoganda).Will remain #1, as it is why they were founded.

2- Israel (complicated support, but they differ from the rest of the left on many BDS related issues, and west bank settlements).

The link you gave originally was a boilerplate white washing of Islam, which ties in with the left, but defending Islam is not the ADL's bread and butter.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
Its good you at least thought about it. The ADL is indeed far left, but their main 2 priorities differ from much of the others on the far left.

1- . Anti semitism (sometimes they just make crap up, like many looking for "racism", hence propoganda).Will remain #1, as it is why they were founded.

2- Israel (complicated support, but they differ from the rest of the left on many BDS related issues, and west bank settlements).
Thanks. That makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snebarekim View Post
The link you gave originally was a boilerplate white washing of Islam, which ties in with the left, but defending Islam is not the ADL's bread and butter.
I realize that, but still thought that it was an interesting perspective and seemed notable.

Old Today, 06:10 PM

5,006 posts, read 983,932 times
Is it safe to say that the mentality that some of the ADL has for Jews is similar to the mentality that some of the NCAA has for Blacks?

Old Today, 06:14 PM

11,464 posts, read 7,411,754 times
Gotta love how being against anti-Semitism is considered far left.

Old Today, 06:17 PM

9,550 posts, read 9,339,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post

Probably, like the ACLU, they have ideals for their mission, and sometimes run into problems - like when the ACLU supported the Nazis marching. From what little I know of the ADL, they do not appear to be far left, they do mainly jump in when there is an attack on Jewish people, they do defend others as well - and Omar does have said things that sound anti-Semitic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or