U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:00 AM

37,550 posts, read 16,286,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
What free stuff would that be.
"What free stuff would that be."

And WE are called the UN-educated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:03 AM

26,964 posts, read 11,327,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Trump has taken the growing economy he inherited and with his trade wars and reckless policies, brought us to the brink of recession. I believe 2020 is shaping up to be a perilous year for the U.S. economy. I believe that by the election, unemployment will be skyrocketing, people will be losing their homes, and we'll see one or two big bank failures. It could be even worse if China decides to completely unload U.S. debt, a very real possibility. Most people on this board who are working will likely either be laid off or know somebody who is laid off by next year at this time.

Thing is, none of this had to happen. This is 100% on Donald Trump. Now we all are going to have to suffer.

Democrats need to start shifting the conversation to this because I believe that the collapsing economy will be their winning issue in 2020. The U.S. needs to join the rest of the world in embracing the 21st century rather than trying to bring back the middle of the 20th century, destroying itself in the process.
Trump never inherited a growing economy because it wasn't growing. There is absolutely no reason to listen to you on this subject as you are informed. Plus you provided no proof. Just because you said so? lmao riiiiight

Old Today, 07:03 AM

1,911 posts, read 552,344 times
Quote:
Trump has taken the growing economy he inherited and with his trade wars and reckless policies, brought us to the brink of recession. I believe 2020 is shaping up to be a perilous year for the U.S. economy. I believe that by the election, unemployment will be skyrocketing, people will be losing their homes, and we'll see one or two big bank failures. It could be even worse if China decides to completely unload U.S. debt, a very real possibility. Most people on this board who are working will likely either be laid off or know somebody who is laid off by next year at this time.

Thing is, none of this had to happen. This is 100% on Donald Trump. Now we all are going to have to suffer.

Democrats need to start shifting the conversation to this because I believe that the collapsing economy will be their winning issue in 2020. The U.S. needs to join the rest of the world in embracing the 21st century rather than trying to bring back the middle of the 20th century, destroying itself in the process.
Youre right but you know how it is.
Johnny Murica wont be concerned about the economy until hes laid off.
Even if he sees whats happening on the news with the farmers.
Warren has been shouting to the mountaintops that the economy is about to burst because of all the welfare given to the super rich.
But Johnny Murica could care less about what trump and his cronies did, all they care about is the guns and brown people. The distraction to the numbskull still works.
People did notice that they got less taxes back at the end of the year, thats a good talking point.
But now if the economy does collapse the democrats will be blamed for it.

Whats worse, when if democrats take the presidency in 2020, fix the economy, the idiots will forget what trump did and vote republican in 2028.

Old Today, 10:24 AM

9,129 posts, read 2,799,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
In December 1965, unemployment dropped to 4% and would stay at or below that level until February 1970.

Since we are less than two years into the Trump era of low unemployment, I would advise you to relax...get comfortable.

We have a long way to go before a ****ty economy will be along to rescue the Democratic Party from it's long overdue demise as a relevant political force in American politics.
In 1965 they were just a few years removed from the last recession (1960-61). We are now 10 years removed from the last recession. Not comparable situations.

Old Today, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Trump never inherited a growing economy because it wasn't growing. There is absolutely no reason to listen to you on this subject as you are informed. Plus you provided no proof. Just because you said so? lmao riiiiight
It's funny you asked for proof when it's extremely easy to provide it to prove you wrong.

The economy was growing under Obama. In fact it was growing about the same amount it has under Trump. The data is here:
https://apps.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.c...=1&1921=survey

Old Today, 10:32 AM

You unwittingly gave us a great example of how people thought the economy was doing great just before it entered a recession. In this case, it was already technically IN the start of a recession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"GWB was not only unqualified to do anything much,"

Here we go AGAIN a lefty trying to RE-WRITE history!

"Publication: Business Wire
Date: Friday, January 4 2008

More Than 8.3 Million Jobs Created Since August 2003 In Longest Continuous Run Of Job Growth On Record

WASHINGTON -- Today, the Bureau of Labor Statistics released new jobs figures - 18,000 jobs created in December. Since August 2003, more than 8.3 million jobs have been created, with more than 1.3 million jobs created throughout 2007. Our economy has now added jobs for 52 straight months - the longest period of uninterrupted job growth on record. The unemployment rate remains low at 5 percent. The U.S. economy benefits from a solid foundation, but we cannot take economic growth for granted and economic indicators have become increasingly mixed. President Bush will continue working with Congress to address the challenges our economy faces and help facilitate long-term economic growth, job growth, and better standards of living for all Americans.

* Real GDP grew at a strong 4.9 percent annual rate in the third quarter of 2007. The economy has now experienced six years of uninterrupted growth, averaging 2.8 percent a year since 2001.

* Real after-tax per capita personal income has risen by 11.7 percent - an average of more than $3,550 per person - since President Bush took office.

* Over the course of this Administration, productivity growth has averaged 2.6 percent per year. This growth is well above average productivity growth in the 1990s, 1980s, and 1970s.

By 2003, Mr. Bush grasped this lesson. In that year, he cut the dividend and capital gains rates to 15 percent each, and the economy responded. In two years, stocks rose 20 percent. In three years, $15 trillion of new wealth was created. The U.S. economy added 8 million new jobs from mid-2003 to early 2007, and the median household increased its wealth by $20,000 in real terms.

But the real jolt for tax-cutting opponents was that the 03 Bush tax cuts also generated a massive increase in federal tax receipts. From 2004 to 2007, federal tax revenues increased by $785 billion, the largest four-year increase in American history. According to the Treasury Department, individual and corporate income tax receipts were up 40 percent in the three years following the Bush tax cuts. And (bonus) the rich paid an even higher percentage of the total tax burden than they had at any time in at least the previous 40 years. This was news to theNew York Times, whose astonished editorial board could only describe the gains as a “surprise windfall.”

Old Today, 10:37 AM

1,902 posts, read 480,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
It's funny you asked for proof when it's extremely easy to provide it to prove you wrong.

The economy was growing under Obama. In fact it was growing about the same amount it has under Trump. The data is here:
https://apps.bea.gov/iTable/iTable.c...=1&1921=survey
The mass right-wing media gave them permission to like the economy again once Trump got elected. It’s all political.

Old Today, 10:41 AM

9,306 posts, read 4,231,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
You unwittingly gave us a great example of how people thought the economy was doing great just before it entered a recession. In this case, it was already technically IN the start of a recession.
Everything right now reminds me of mid-late 2007.

2020 will likely be 2008 redux for the economy. Of course, unlike last time, this one is entirely self-inflicted and caused by one person; Donald Trump.

Old Today, 10:44 AM

1,902 posts, read 480,623 times
Quote:
Everything right now reminds me of mid-late 2007.

2020 will likely be 2008 redux for the economy. Of course, unlike last time, this one is entirely self-inflicted and caused by one person; Donald Trump.
I’m kinda glad because I’m waiting for house prices to come down so I can buy, but at same time I feel bad for many Americans who are just now recovering from the last Recession.

Old Today, 11:30 AM

4,276 posts, read 2,046,899 times
Quote:

The economy trend that we are seeing today started doing the Biden/Obama administration. I agree, Biden should be talking about this more and receiving credit for the current economy, not Donald Trump!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or