U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 06:49 PM

9,652 posts, read 6,391,078 times

Advertisements

Video games may not cause the shootings but after years of playing, and killing thousands of people- anamals- aliens -etc, you become immune to death

You lose your empathy at seeing a body at your feet

Combine this with depression, schizophrenia and SSRIs, you have a cocktail for disaster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 03:13 AM

8,379 posts, read 9,871,588 times
Nope. Video games are a convenient scapegoat, nothing more.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:13 AM

10,025 posts, read 5,586,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
No... Nutty people pulling triggers cause mass deaths. The only answer:. Get rid of guns to prevent nutty people from pulling triggers causing mass casualties. There will ways be nuts unfortunately. The key is to get rid of the instruments that prevent optimal damage. Its not complicated. But unfortunately, America has too many crooked executives and politicians that won't eliminate the problem. They just hope if the problem is ignored it will just " go away". Which I have never once seen that happen

If theres no guns around for crazy people to get their hands on, "mass shootings" are solved.

Perhaps......but is mass violence solved?

I don't need to say the other ways to kill people....and I won't......for we have already seen it done in France, in Japan, in Oklahoma City, etc..

Old 08-14-2019, 09:25 AM

52,406 posts, read 42,142,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Video games may not cause the shootings but after years of playing, and killing thousands of people- anamals- aliens -etc, you become immune to death

Combine this with depression, schizophrenia and SSRIs, you have a cocktail for disaster
Yes the follow-up question to the OP should be "which people?"

Yeah, if you have a kid with severe mental problems like the Sandy Hook guy, you should:

a) not keep guns around the house
b) consider carefully what they are exposed to, and how much of it.

That guy was playing shooter games some insane number of hours daily.

It's not even healthy for otherwise healthy brains to play games that much....and I say that as a gamer myself.

Follow up to point b: I wouldn't want them watching 12+ hours a day of politics either as all that schreeching, lying, demonizing and fingerpointing would do the same.

Old 08-14-2019, 09:51 AM

10,968 posts, read 10,644,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...tings-n1039411

I'm so sick and tired of whenever there's a shooting or whatever, all these old people that have no idea what they're talking about like to blame video games, like after Columbine they pointed out how the shooters liked to play DOOM. It's not even a liberal/conservative issue as all of them like to blame video games for people behaving badly, like in '93 it was the democrats who had hearings and criticized violent video games, and mortal kombat.

Well, if the whole issue is "it causes people to be violent" shouldn't we ban sports? How many times after a sports game have crazy drunken sports fans went out burning cars, getting into fights, rioting etc.? All the time! But it's the video games that are the problem...sure.

I just hate how they always want to throw their 2c in things they no nothing about.
I believe that video games can cause defective people to kill others. But not people in general.

I also believe that video games often desensitize people to gore and violence. But that's not the same as prompting them to kill.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:05 AM

10,025 posts, read 5,586,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yes the follow-up question to the OP should be "which people?"

Yeah, if you have a kid with severe mental problems like the Sandy Hook guy, you should:

a) not keep guns around the house
b) consider carefully what they are exposed to, and how much of it.

That guy was playing shooter games some insane number of hours daily.

It's not even healthy for otherwise healthy brains to play games that much....and I say that as a gamer myself.

Follow up to point b: I wouldn't want them watching 12+ hours a day of politics either as all that schreeching, lying, demonizing and fingerpointing would do the same.
Well, A and B.

A: I do travel armed and with something extra but when I get to the home I am staying at, I do disarm, check my weapons, secure them......in some mixture of that, depends on the household. This last time, it was disarm and secure. Two years ago at that house, it was check them in to their armory. When it comes to kids around, normal or otherwise, I take my weapons security to the max.

B: Boy, my stress has been so much lower since I gave up broadcast/cable TV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
I believe that video games can cause defective people to kill others. But not people in general.

I also believe that video games often desensitize people to gore and violence. But that's not the same as prompting them to kill.
We-ll, maybe yes, maybe no on the prompting.

Once upon a time, I used a Dungeons and Dragons type game to develop the characters I would write in my stories. It was a nice approach but it could only go so far because such games encourage you to take the advantage. Ie, the Dungeon Master says, "You come around a corner and meet a stranger....,"

And you say, "I put my sword right through him."............

Do such games, as in videos, prompt people to stab, errrrr, shoot first and ask questions later? Is the penalty for shooting an innocent without consequence for the more advanced player?

Old 08-14-2019, 10:06 AM

72,460 posts, read 84,245,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...tings-n1039411

I'm so sick and tired of whenever there's a shooting or whatever, all these old people that have no idea what they're talking about like to blame video games, like after Columbine they pointed out how the shooters liked to play DOOM. It's not even a liberal/conservative issue as all of them like to blame video games for people behaving badly, like in '93 it was the democrats who had hearings and criticized violent video games, and mortal kombat.

Well, if the whole issue is "it causes people to be violent" shouldn't we ban sports? How many times after a sports game have crazy drunken sports fans went out burning cars, getting into fights, rioting etc.? All the time! But it's the video games that are the problem...sure.

I just hate how they always want to throw their 2c in things they no nothing about.
causes anyone to commit murder? of course not, but it can add to the problems for people who already have anti social, loner problems as well as other personality problems.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:09 AM

632 posts, read 278,244 times
Nope.

Just like heavy/black metal.

It is always blamed on something that they obviously have no idea on what it is. Instead of getting to the bottom of mental health. What's causing these people to do this? Is it the way that America has become such a narcissistic, all about me and what about you place? Rifts between the rich and poor? How the rich seems to buy their freedom instead of Joe Public sits in jail because he can't afford to pay a cheap bond?

It can go on and on about negativity and such.

I've been playing video games and listening to some of the most darkest, heaviest metal music there is out there. Neither one has given me the urge to go out, break laws, kill people or burn churches.

It all comes down to the individual. What has he/she been through, HAS BEEN TREATED, (like a loser or other bullying)...

They just need to point the fingers at themselves. I'm quite sure that no mass shooter has been told to do so or made them do it by someone else.

I love to play video games and music because I'm able to escape this reality for a while.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:54 AM

32,903 posts, read 16,844,057 times
Well...

This is by memory, so please don't jump at my numbers, mmkay? The trends were there.

US military did a study after WWII where it transpired a very high percentage of soldiers didn't actually fire at the enemy - killing when not in a close fight is very hard for most, takes training and conditioning. So modern militaries started deliberately training soldiers to dehumanize the enemy. This took a number of forms, among them the use of human-shaped pop-up targets and a stress on quick-reaction shooting.

And the rate of rounds fired at the enemy went up. (Marksmanship went to hell, but that's another story.)

Hard to not see a parallel between that and the de facto conditioning that takes place in FPS games.

Does this mean that video games create killers? Nah. There are any number of factors that have to overlap before someone goes on a rampage. Desensitization may be one, but...

Old 08-14-2019, 11:47 AM

5,546 posts, read 1,388,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post

You left out isolation. People who isolate themselves and play violent video games....ripe for this kind of thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or