U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM

7,200 posts, read 4,076,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
For the video game clueless, what's Grand Theft Auto like?

You thought it was wrong for your child. Why?

I think it is a bad choice for children of a certain age group, certainly.
My Son is grown now, it was a long time ago that I last played it.

I rented it, and only played it for a brief amount of hours, years ago, but you drive around (it had music in the background and was open world...and was suppose to have a closely mapped out version of the city....it was Miami back then...I use to live in Miami, so that part was kind of interesting to me.
I don't think it appropriate for young children, because you are encouraged to run around committing felonies such as Grand Theft Auto, you can also hail down Prostitutes, and then if you want your money back you can beat them up or kill them and take back your money.
(The game ratings suggest it for ages 18 and up)
It was probably 15 years ago that I played that version, I am not sure if current games follow the same theme.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:32 PM

7,200 posts, read 4,076,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kentucky62 View Post
I drop ACME anvils on peoples heads every day when I'm not hitting someone over the head with my Guitar yelling El Kabong as a result of my exposure to violence as a child.

Exactly. When I was a kid they tried to say watching Bugs Bunny cartoons could make children violent.
Seriously?

Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM

19,603 posts, read 17,640,688 times
I do know that people are becoming less socialized due to the internet and less able to interact with others without conflict. Looking at the youth of today that's inarguable. Without teaching children morals and ethics, or worse, openly questioning them in a changing social structure, we're inviting mayhem and strife and violence. Not to mention poverty and a burdened social services and prison system.

Old Today, 06:20 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,069,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Just the opposite. It gives people a harmless outlet.
I guess the answer to the post question then is that gaming companies have not titillated the senses of the
sick in mind enough to keep them spellbound and safe at home in mom and dad's dark and dank basement.

Old Today, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Nope! According to anti-gun idiots, the mere existence of AR15ís (assault riffles) makes people mentally insane, thus purchasing them to commit mass shootings. No other reason.
Opinion:

Oh no................the mere mention .....how could you.................you ruined my life ...ahhhhh.....( sarcasm)

The only true danger to society are those looking to take away our second amendment.

Old Today, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I do believe these violent games are just restricted to the US. It just couldnít be guns.

We grew up in the 60ís with all those violent cartoons like Elmer Fudd shooting people yet we didnít spring into action.

Opinion:
The difference was that after cartoons we went out and played in the sunshine!
Plants will not live without sufficient sunshine. Kick the kid out of the house to
learn how to socialize with others and one day become a productive member of society......

Old Today, 01:54 PM

4,181 posts, read 6,459,083 times
The real problem is not games themselves but that all these electronic devices and social media are isolating more and more people. Before social media people had to engage other people regardless of their beliefs. Now one can jump online and find an entire group of people who believe exactly as they do. When young people reach college age they are poorly prepared for social situations and what we are seeing is a failure to adapt. That can occur at an earlier age too. One cause of the violence of today is that people feel alone and are somewhat paranoid of others. They feel rejected and react with violence.
I don't think it is the games, but they do contribute to the overall situation.

Old Today, 02:24 PM

52,403 posts, read 42,142,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's not "old people" it's hard data.

Why do you think you're bombarded with advertising?

Because advertising works.

The concepts of advertising are universal and used elsewhere, like in the military.

If you de-humanize people, they're easier to kill, which is what video games do.

Does that affect everyone? No, certainly not.

It does not affect people who have very strong well-developed core values, ethics and morals.

The problem is that the majority of people do not have very strong well-developed core values, ethics and morals.

Also, you can read about Zimbardo's experiment, which had to be stopped dead in its tracks. That was a role-playing experiment: students as prison guards and students as prisoners. Very quickly, the experiment escalated out of control and had to be stopped before someone was killed or seriously injured.
Great post. Most people don't realize that the military years back had to start having target practice at human outline targets instead of round bullseye type targets so that they'd get used to shooting the human shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or