U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2019, 09:11 AM
 
5,384 posts, read 2,862,393 times
Reputation: 9846

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Violent crime in the U.S. has fallen significantly since peaking in the 1990s. How you explain this in light of your conjecture?
Crime bill we have put many criminals behind bars for decades. The cause of crime now is cultural norms not violent criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2019, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
7,201 posts, read 7,854,406 times
Reputation: 5813
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
This is the NRA and the Republicans pulling out the tired old mental health and video game violence excuse. It was the expected and transparent deflection from the issue of guns.

If we frame the issue as one of mental health or exposure to violence, we delay actions related to addressing the primary tool of these assaultsóguns. It is their plan.

It is time for our political officials to put aside lobbied interests and focus on the evidenceómass shootings occur, and guns make these atrocities all too easy and frequent. Our politicians need to look toward gun reforms now and take action. Such reforms should include a ban on assault weapons, ban on large-capacity magazines, universal background checks and close those loopholes, stiffer licensing laws, red flag laws, and lifting of all Federal restrictions on gun violence research.
Literally the only accurate statement in your post is that guns are a tool.

Do I think video games cause shootings? No. I do, however, think parents using the PS4 as babysitters for their precious ones and not paying attention to what their children are playing and viewing is a contributing factor. Add the over prescription of drugs which change the chemistry of the brain and the fact that many of the shooters seem to be highly intelligent, emotionally detached individuals who are outcasts and youíve got the perfect storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2019, 09:22 AM
 
Location: USA
18,599 posts, read 9,133,392 times
Reputation: 13972
I do think the Media, Entertainment, and Gaming has desensitized some people to the consequences of violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2019, 09:49 AM
 
Location: Places you dream of
20,483 posts, read 12,262,260 times
Reputation: 8884
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiiancoconut View Post
Nope! According to anti-gun idiots, the mere existence of AR15ís (assault riffles) makes people mentally insane, thus purchasing them to commit mass shootings. No other reason.
Only problem w those is how many die or are injured before anyone can stop the killer. I canít imagine hunting with at - unless out to kill the whole herd - why do you need it. Itís just like a beer / one may relax you , 30 makes you a dangerous idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2019, 09:49 AM
 
Location: california
5,721 posts, read 4,929,205 times
Reputation: 6766
I think the media is the one promoting violence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2019, 09:53 AM
 
Location: The middle of nowhere
9,336 posts, read 4,243,851 times
Reputation: 7898
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
No, of course not.


BUT


The more violent examples are just another part of the demoralization of society and culture.

We don't value life the way we used to.

We don't value morals the way we used to.

We don't care about each other the way we used to.

We don't care about our country the way we used to.

And things like violent video games becoming the norm is just a result of that downhill slope.

Along with violence in the movies, over sensationalized news reports and accusations of hate driving the 24-hour news cycle.

We've become numb to what a bunch of ass***** we've turned into.
But things were just perfect back in the 1950s when everyone lived like the characters in 'Leave it to Beaver', right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yes-

I think that violent video games and movies desensitize people to violence.

The left loves the violent entertainment industry, hates Christianity, and has created the single parent family as the model for America. So the left creates a social cauldron for violence, then blames guns?
Why do you hate separation of church and state so much? Isn't true Christianity a heart thing and not something that can be enforced by a government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2019, 09:55 AM
 
6,530 posts, read 3,641,545 times
Reputation: 7421
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
For me there is one obvious BIG difference in American culture compared to similar countries....gun culture.

I'm not an advocate of taking guns away. I have said it a million times, I am naive when it comes to the technology and will not pretend I know which guns should or shouldn't be controlled and what the impact could be either way.

I'm an advocate for dialogue.

Whether or not folks want to address it - the one defining characteristic is the history of guns in this country.

It most definitely may be because of its prominence as an issue in The Constitution.

That's okay

AGAIN - not advocating any specific gun control measures, advocating for the acknowledgement of the issue and a real dialogue.

In the late 70's the NRA completely changed its focus to more political agenda. Over the years it has evolved to the point where the NRA will not even address anything related to even a discussion about the gun culture in the USA...for fear of losing access to guns.

Understandable given that some folks rant and rage about taking away all guns from citizens.

I can't think of any other defining factor that is different.

I don't know what the solution is. Some say the answer is for more people to have guns, for our schools shopping malls -- every place people gather to be secured by armed guards/police. Some say it is controlling access to some guns.

Mental health issues are an issue but as they relate to access of guns.

Universal background checks -- I don't know -- what kind of red flags will there be?

Lots of questions, unknowns but we can't even have the conversation because both sides have folks who have drawn lines in the sand.
That is very true what you said about the NRA. My husband became a lifetime member before we married in the early 70's. I have read their literature over the decades. Back then it was all about hunting and game. It was not political. I would say they it changed about 20 years ago; armed citizen protects against home invasion, taking away your guns, write to congress about this legislation, etc., etc. Very little is about hunting today. Far more about politics today. They should rename their publication to Armed Citizen instead of American Rifle. The former is more in line with what their views are now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2019, 10:00 AM
 
2,427 posts, read 664,336 times
Reputation: 2535
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Literally the only accurate statement in your post is that guns are a tool.

Do I think video games cause shootings? No. I do, however, think parents using the PS4 as babysitters for their precious ones and not paying attention to what their children are playing and viewing is a contributing factor. Add the over prescription of drugs which change the chemistry of the brain and the fact that many of the shooters seem to be highly intelligent, emotionally detached individuals who are outcasts and youíve got the perfect storm.
In your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2019, 10:23 AM
 
2,427 posts, read 664,336 times
Reputation: 2535
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Literally the only accurate statement in your post is that guns are a tool.

Do I think video games cause shootings? No. I do, however, think parents using the PS4 as babysitters for their precious ones and not paying attention to what their children are playing and viewing is a contributing factor. Add the over prescription of drugs which change the chemistry of the brain and the fact that many of the shooters seem to be highly intelligent, emotionally detached individuals who are outcasts and you’ve got the perfect storm.

There is absolutely no doubt that since Columbine, there have been mass shootings where the mental health of the perpetrator was a primary issue. Health care is a human right, and access to mental health care is equally as important as physical health. The lack of mental health services for youth, for veterans, and for all represents a serious private and public health concern within the U.S.

Although important, the focus on mental health problems as a single cause for the mass shooting crisis in America deflects from serious discussions of the common denominator—guns. If we frame the issue as one of mental health or exposure to violence, we delay actions related to addressing the primary tool of these assaults—guns.

The deflection by NRA talking points and Republican finger pointing is intentional and to date has been effective. NO more! Americans are fed up and we want action and the United States needs improved and reformed gun legislation! NOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2019, 10:35 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
7,201 posts, read 7,854,406 times
Reputation: 5813
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
There is absolutely no doubt that since Columbine, there have been mass shootings where the mental health of the perpetrator was a primary issue. Health care is a human right, and access to mental health care is equally as important as physical health. The lack of mental health services for youth, for veterans, and for all represents a serious private and public health concern within the U.S.

Although important, the focus on mental health problems as a single cause for the mass shooting crisis in America deflects from serious discussions of the common denominatoróguns. If we frame the issue as one of mental health or exposure to violence, we delay actions related to addressing the primary tool of these assaultsóguns.

The deflection by NRA talking points and Republican finger pointing is intentional and to date has been effective. NO more! Americans are fed up and we want action and the United States needs improved and reformed gun legislation! NOW!
If the problem were access to firearms, America would have a far bloodier history. There are more hoops to jump through to purchase a firearm than at any time in history.

Your argument is backwards. Focusing on the tool used prohibits looking for an actual solution. "It's the guns" is the easy answer. As usual, the easy answer is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top