Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 10:55 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It’s not the abundance and accessibility of guns.

It’s video games.

Yes that’s it.

Maybe it is a combination of things. Perhaps it is the cheapening of human life, a lot of people no longer see others as living, breathing humans like them. They see them as "invaders and rapists and murderers.

It could also be that, in this electronic age, we have isolated ourselves into little shells, and we have lost the ability to relate to others in positive/connected ways.

And, it could be that some people (mostly younger people) have grown up in family environments that were more concerned with "possessions", rather than wholesome time spent together as a family. With dads and moms working full time in most cases today, and kids going to school, and things like that, there is not the same togetherness most of us enjoyed with our families in the past.

I also feel that a lot of marginal people have found a voice in Donald Trump, who reinforces their beliefs that white people are being overrun by other groups and that they "need to go back to where they came from!" His words and actions are music to their ears, and they feel emboldened to try to help fix that problem.......and we get what we saw in Texas and Ohio.

And, finally, I DO think that certain kids, with some developmental issues, can be adversely affected by spending every waking moment staring at their computer screen and playing violent, make believe war games. I can see the connection of how some might grow tired of the make believe world and wonder how it would be to take it to the next level and try it in real life. That isn't a stretch.

Last edited by don1945; 08-10-2019 at 11:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 05:00 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,494,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Maybe it is a combination of things. Perhaps it is the cheapening of human life, a lot of people no longer see others as living, breathing humans like them. They see them as "invaders and rapists and murderers.

It could also be that, in this electronic age, we have isolated ourselves into little shells, and we have lost the ability to relate to others in positive/connected ways.

And, it could be that some people (mostly younger people) have grown up in family environments that were more concerned with "possessions", rather than wholesome time spent together as a family. With dads and moms working full time in most cases today, and kids going to school, and things like that, there is not the same togetherness most of us enjoyed with our families in the past.

I also feel that a lot of marginal people have found a voice in Donald Trump, who reinforces their beliefs that white people are being overrun by other groups and that they "need to go back to where they came from!" His words and actions are music to their ears, and they feel emboldened to try to help fix that problem.......and we get what we saw in Texas and Ohio.

And, finally, I DO think that certain kids, with some developmental issues, can be adversely affected by spending every waking moment staring at their computer screen and playing violent, make believe war games. I can see the connection of how some might grow tired of the make believe world and wonder how it would be to take it to the next level and try it in real life. That isn't a stretch.
OR

It is a simple as having too many guns available.

Honestly all this other stuff is a red herring.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:16 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...tings-n1039411

I'm so sick and tired of whenever there's a shooting or whatever, all these old people that have no idea what they're talking about like to blame video games, like after Columbine they pointed out how the shooters liked to play DOOM. It's not even a liberal/conservative issue as all of them like to blame video games for people behaving badly, like in '93 it was the democrats who had hearings and criticized violent video games, and mortal kombat.

Well, if the whole issue is "it causes people to be violent" shouldn't we ban sports? How many times after a sports game have crazy drunken sports fans went out burning cars, getting into fights, rioting etc.? All the time! But it's the video games that are the problem...sure.

I just hate how they always want to throw their 2c in things they no nothing about.
This is one of those canards that has never rang true to me either. I played my share of 1st person shooter games and Mortal Kombat as a kid and didn't feel like shooting anybody. I have just never bought it that video games ever did anything to kids except make them lazy.

Old 08-10-2019, 05:20 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,588,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
People play violent video games around the world. Almost every other country does not have regular mass shootings like we do in the USA.
That is the other nail in the coffin to the argument. If video games really did anything to alter behavior then there would be a measurable and verifiable effects in other countries as well. As as I know that isn't the case. Gun violence has always been a uniquely American problem for the most part.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:00 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,398,530 times
Violent video games certainly doesn't cause people to be violent each other. I agree that they influences people to be violent with each other. I don't get why people still think those games causes shootings vs. just influencing shootings. Is acknowledging accountability and responsibility really that hard for some people? It seems so.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:36 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
OR

It is a simple as having too many guns available.

Honestly all this other stuff is a red herring.
If the availability of guns were the cause of mass shootings, the 70s and 80s would have been a gore fest.

Focusing on guns is the red herring. Removing guns from the law abiding (the only ones who would obey a gun ban) won’t solve the problem.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:39 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...tings-n1039411

I'm so sick and tired of whenever there's a shooting or whatever, all these old people that have no idea what they're talking about like to blame video games, like after Columbine they pointed out how the shooters liked to play DOOM. It's not even a liberal/conservative issue as all of them like to blame video games for people behaving badly, like in '93 it was the democrats who had hearings and criticized violent video games, and mortal kombat.

Well, if the whole issue is "it causes people to be violent" shouldn't we ban sports? How many times after a sports game have crazy drunken sports fans went out burning cars, getting into fights, rioting etc.? All the time! But it's the video games that are the problem...sure.

I just hate how they always want to throw their 2c in things they no nothing about.
No. This is just as stupid as when they tried to blame it on the music that someone was listening to. I've been playing video games since I was a kid. Never killed anyone, never wanted to kill anyone.

I am so over it with people blaming everything else but the actual problem.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:42 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
No. This is just as stupid as when they tried to blame it on the music that someone was listening to. I've been playing video games since I was a kid. Never killed anyone, never wanted to kill anyone.

I am so over it with people blaming everything else but the actual problem.
So what is the actual problem that causes violence?

Old 08-10-2019, 06:44 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,984,397 times
No... Nutty people pulling triggers cause mass deaths. The only answer:. Get rid of guns to prevent nutty people from pulling triggers causing mass casualties. There will ways be nuts unfortunately. The key is to get rid of the instruments that prevent optimal damage. Its not complicated. But unfortunately, America has too many crooked executives and politicians that won't eliminate the problem. They just hope if the problem is ignored it will just " go away". Which I have never once seen that happen

If theres no guns around for crazy people to get their hands on, "mass shootings" are solved.

Old 08-10-2019, 06:49 PM

17,558 posts, read 13,334,227 times
Video games may not cause the shootings but after years of playing, and killing thousands of people- anamals- aliens -etc, you become immune to death

You lose your empathy at seeing a body at your feet

Combine this with depression, schizophrenia and SSRIs, you have a cocktail for disaster
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies