U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 07:48 PM

109 posts, read 43,473 times

Advertisements

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...tings-n1039411

Quote:
One way to prevent future mass shootings, President Donald Trump suggested Monday, was to take a firm stance against violent video games.

"We must stop the glorification of violence in our society. This includes the gruesome and grisly video games that are now commonplace. It is too easy today for troubled youth to surround themselves with a culture that celebrates violence. We must stop or substantially reduce this and it has to begin immediately," Trump said in brief remarks from the White House after massacres in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, killed at least 31 people over the weekend.
I'm so sick and tired of whenever there's a shooting or whatever, all these old people that have no idea what they're talking about like to blame video games, like after Columbine they pointed out how the shooters liked to play DOOM. It's not even a liberal/conservative issue as all of them like to blame video games for people behaving badly, like in '93 it was the democrats who had hearings and criticized violent video games, and mortal kombat.

Well, if the whole issue is "it causes people to be violent" shouldn't we ban sports? How many times after a sports game have crazy drunken sports fans went out burning cars, getting into fights, rioting etc.? All the time! But it's the video games that are the problem...sure.

I just hate how they always want to throw their 2c in things they no nothing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 07:50 PM

5,441 posts, read 1,107,105 times
I don't know about that but I do recall some years ago them warning about people with seizure disorder being affected by flashes of light from games, other media as well that could trigger their seizure activity. Could be something to the claim, but more complicated than just saying playing a game causes them to kill someone.

Old Today, 07:53 PM

7,499 posts, read 4,516,085 times
Quote:
Do you honestly believe video games cause people to kill others?
No. No I do not

Old Today, 07:54 PM

4,368 posts, read 1,888,551 times
Just the opposite. It gives people a harmless outlet.

30,794 posts, read 33,638,140 times
Nope.

3,831 posts, read 1,491,112 times
motivation can come from various sources.
the book: Helter Skelter revealed Manson's.

Old Today, 07:55 PM

6,904 posts, read 3,818,752 times
Only when thrown at close range.

Old Today, 07:55 PM

14,936 posts, read 12,382,145 times
Nope! According to anti-gun idiots, the mere existence of AR15’s (assault riffles) makes people mentally insane, thus purchasing them to commit mass shootings. No other reason.

Old Today, 07:56 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,233,808 times
No but I think playing too much inside and not with other kids ~ doesn’t help them develop socially.

Old Today, 07:56 PM

3,608 posts, read 982,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
I don't know about that but I do recall some years ago them warning about people with seizure disorder being affected by flashes of light from games, other media as well that could trigger their seizure activity. Could be something to the claim, but more complicated than just saying playing a game causes them to kill someone.
Well, that is a different sort of thing. Those games do carry a warning about that in the beginning. There are different triggers for seizures and not everybody has the same ones. When my husband (epileptic) was doing a study where they were trying to see where the seizures start, they tried triggering him with lights, but it didn't work. I forget the name for that type.

And no... There are millions who play these games and never go on to try and act it out in person, myself and my family included. I have been gaming since the 1980s. No problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or