U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 04:43 PM

12,884 posts, read 3,996,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It is believed a significant portion of IQ is based on the health of the mother and early childhood nutrition and mental stimulation. In the poorest nations most pregnant women are malnourished and then the baby is itself malnourished. The mother has to constantly search for food, clean water, and wood to cook rather than help stimulate the child. War and political instability makes those things more difficult as well. I don't dispute that in the poorest nations IQ probably is lower but it is due to environmental factors, not being 'genetically inferior'. If IQ truly determines outcomes then logically in the time of Christ W Europe probably had low IQs compared to North Africa, probably due to same environmental reasons.
This could be true. Adverse conditions can lower IQ 10 points or more. The people living in Great Britain 1s century AD could've been less well nourished and living a harder life than those living near Rome. I think northern latitudes like in NW Europe would pose adverse conditions for the technology of antiquity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 10:17 PM

303 posts, read 33,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
I'm glad you have come to point of realizing how complex and hazing human genetics actually are. Its not cut and dry the way some posters on here wish it would be. Hopefully we can put this White Race nonsense to bed finally.

Finally here is a genetic map of modern Greeks. Initialed GR in the graph, AL is Albanians, TR is Turks and IT is Italians.

Here is a genetics map for Ashkenazi Jews
Ok and? You realize what you're showing me is clusters. That scientists can say with a high degree of accuracy if someone is an askenazi jew just by their genetic fingerprint. How does that jive with the narrative "we're all the same." Forget race, we can even tell what your ethnicity is from your genes.

Now, I think your point is that Greeks are not too far away from Turks and Jews are not too far away from Caucasian populations. That's perfectly fine, and does not in any shape of form disprove the notion of Whiteness. Take a look at how most Europeans cluster far and away from everyone else. It's just few groups who lived on the borders of Europe (and thus were not genetically isolated) that are pulled inbetween.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:21 PM

303 posts, read 33,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
It is believed a significant portion of IQ is based on the health of the mother and early childhood nutrition and mental stimulation. In the poorest nations most pregnant women are malnourished and then the baby is itself malnourished. The mother has to constantly search for food, clean water, and wood to cook rather than help stimulate the child. War and political instability makes those things more difficult as well. I don't dispute that in the poorest nations IQ probably is lower but it is due to environmental factors, not being 'genetically inferior'. If IQ truly determines outcomes then logically in the time of Christ W Europe probably had low IQs compared to North Africa, probably due to same environmental reasons.
How do you know it's not from genetic factors? A lot of what you wrote could be flipped on its head - people with lower IQs will form poor countries with more instability. How do we tell which came first, the chicken or the egg?

Why do you presume there is no genetic factor here? Have scientists ruled conclusively there is none? No, they have not at all. It makes the most logical sense, in accordance with Occam's razor, that genetics does have a role in deciding differing intelligence among groups just as it determines why Nepalese sherpas are such good climbers and this tribe in Kenya, such good marathon runners.

Old 08-17-2019, 03:10 AM

269 posts, read 98,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
If the Greeks are so genetically close to the Turks. And the Turks are a mix of native Anatolian and people from Central Asia. Why are the Greeks consider to be "white"? If their nearest genetic kin are from the Near East, shouldn't they be considered Middle Eastern?
Well Greeks are not Middle Eastern due to the culture. Yet there are many Turks that have Greek heritage. Turks are largely mixed, due to the legacy of the Ottoman empire, with the native Anatolian and people from Central Asia.

Old 08-17-2019, 10:05 AM

4,254 posts, read 1,104,213 times
On the topic of whether Jews are "white" or not (which a number of posts have referenced), are the Jews not from ASIA?

Since when has anyone from the continent of Asia been considered "white"??

And why is that a "hateful" or controversial position to see them as Asiatic?

I pray to Jesus (a Jew), but yet, the fact that I would call the Jews Asiatic (not white) would get me labeled a "NAZI" or "white supremacist" (which is a strange label since Jews themselves - many times - will say they are "white").

A good analogy is Vijay Singh. He is darker than like 99.99% of black (African) Americans, yet no one over the age of 5 would refer to Vijay Singh as "black". He is Fijian.

Nevertheless, if I went into the "Ask a Jew" thread and said any of this, I would get labeled all manner of unsavory labels.

My great uncle married a half-Jewish woman (Holocaust survivor) so I even have people with Jewish blood as cousins. So, no, it has nothing to do with "hate" (as I'm sure plenty here will say). It just has to do with stating obvious observations.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:19 PM

4,821 posts, read 4,271,744 times
There have been plenty of advanced civilizations all over the world. Europe had Rome, and then happened to have a collection of them at once (inspired by Rome) in a period of relative stability.

Old 08-17-2019, 12:32 PM

12,884 posts, read 3,996,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
On the topic of whether Jews are "white" or not (which a number of posts have referenced), are the Jews not from ASIA?

Since when has anyone from the continent of Asia been considered "white"??

And why is that a "hateful" or controversial position to see them as Asiatic?

I pray to Jesus (a Jew), but yet, the fact that I would call the Jews Asiatic (not white) would get me labeled a "NAZI" or "white supremacist" (which is a strange label since Jews themselves - many times - will say they are "white").

A good analogy is Vijay Singh. He is darker than like 99.99% of black (African) Americans, yet no one over the age of 5 would refer to Vijay Singh as "black". He is Fijian.

Nevertheless, if I went into the "Ask a Jew" thread and said any of this, I would get labeled all manner of unsavory labels.

My great uncle married a half-Jewish woman (Holocaust survivor) so I even have people with Jewish blood as cousins. So, no, it has nothing to do with "hate" (as I'm sure plenty here will say). It just has to do with stating obvious observations.
I would say ethnically Jewish is white in the Caucasian race sense that middle easterners are within the bounds of being Caucasian. But I would not say middle easterners are white in terms of being European.

The most intelligent and highest achieving Jews are European/Ashkenazi Jews who are on average ancestrally half European and half Jewish and often appear very "white". If they wanted to identify as only white Europeans instead of Jewish most wouldn't question it especially Americans. Probably their intelligence is a product of selectively mating with intelligent Europeans and being a selective group of Jewish or some combination.

Old 08-17-2019, 04:27 PM

10,985 posts, read 4,528,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I would say ethnically Jewish is white in the Caucasian race sense that middle easterners are within the bounds of being Caucasian. But I would not say middle easterners are white in terms of being European.

The most intelligent and highest achieving Jews are European/Ashkenazi Jews who are on average ancestrally half European and half Jewish and often appear very "white". If they wanted to identify as only white Europeans instead of Jewish most wouldn't question it especially Americans. Probably their intelligence is a product of selectively mating with intelligent Europeans and being a selective group of Jewish or some combination.
What evidence is there that Ashkenazi Jews are anything but a European ethnic group?

Old 08-17-2019, 04:30 PM

1,643 posts, read 1,079,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
"White supremacy" only exists as a concept because the last 500 years of history have been dominated by Europeans. How did that come about?

Old 08-17-2019, 04:33 PM

1,923 posts, read 1,970,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
What evidence is there that Ashkenazi Jews are anything but a European ethnic group?
From my understanding, the genetics analysis indicates that Ashkenazi Jews are Middle-Eastern (Levantine) in their paternal DNA but European (especially Italian) in their maternal DNA.

So they are mixture of both groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies