U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 04:32 PM

67,146 posts, read 34,182,226 times

Advertisements

Putting your safety in someone else's hands.
What could go wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 04:37 PM

15,370 posts, read 13,469,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Well joe Biden introduced gun free zones in 1990
How is that working out
Let's ask Chicago PD
Gun free zones should be banned unless metal detectors are installed at the entrance and armed security monitoring them.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:45 PM

7,214 posts, read 7,859,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Why should responsible gun owners be opposed to background checks, training requirements, licensing, and denying firearms to the mentally unstable? In states moving toward requiring none or most of that being required, I hope something will be learned if shooting deaths go up, rather than down.
Iím not actually personally opposed to background checks, and I think training is a wonderful idea. Just like I wouldnít turn someone loose with a chainsaw if theyíve never operated one, people shouldnít just pick up a gun and walk around with it. The mentally ill are already not allowed to own firearms, so Iím not sure of your point on that one. Licensing and/or registration is a non starter for me. Itís a violation of the 4th Amendment more so than the 2nd.

Hereís the issue. Our constitution specifically prohibits infringement on the right to keep and bear arms. Anything that makes it harder to own a firearm, such as background checks, waiting periods, extra taxes, etc. are infringements. While I donít, on a personal level, have an issue with them (aside from the fact that the vast majority of shooters pass the background check which makes background checks relatively useless), they are not allowed by the constitution. If the government were honest and adhering to the U.S. Constitution, there would be exactly zero gun laws for that reason. Considering that the 2nd Amendment has already been trashed to the point that it barely counts and mass shootings are increasing in frequency, itís time to start looking for the actual cause of the problem rather than taking the easy - and wrong - answer.

If the issue were not enough gun laws, places like New York, Baltimore, and Chicago would be utopia. Instead, they are held up as a prime example of why gun laws donít solve the problem.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:49 PM

16,018 posts, read 4,235,579 times
Gun nuts are not criminals until the first round contacts a kid, mom or whoever else. So we need a system whereby we can stop that speeding bullet and then arrest the new CRIMINAL.

I think Superman can do the job.

The best law for gun control, as my knowing friends suggest, is more legal prostitution. That will calm the anger of most shooters.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:03 PM

4,452 posts, read 2,676,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yet legal and legitimate firearms owners are the focus of all the hoopla surrounding the call for more and more laws restricting firearms rights in light of recent events. Using logic and "common sense" does that dog actually hunt?
I guarantee you that "legal and legitimate" gun owners are not the target of the hoopla. If all gun owners used guns in legal and legitimate ways we wouldn't be having this debate at all.

The target is the gangs, crooks, and mass murderers. But 2A is a non-discriminatory law - it protects legitimate gun owners as well as the ones who should not be in possession of any gun.

Gun owners could help themselves if they would propose how we keep guns out of the hands of the idiots.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:35 PM

10,012 posts, read 4,706,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
It wasnít just the Parkland shooter that was allowed to pass under the radar. Many of the young men who snap this way show warning signs that are ignored. The Parkland shooter was probably the most egregious example, but far from the only one who was able to carry out his plan because the authorities didnít take the situation seriously enough.
The Glee nightclub killer was turned into the FBI beforehand and they ignored it too.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:44 PM

9,385 posts, read 2,874,504 times
I've had people ask for suggestions on gun reform.

14 day waiting periods.
No sales by private owners
No sales at gun shows
10 rounds magazine limit
No bump stocks
No cranks
Licenses for all arms
Child Lock Requirements
Minimum age of purchase 21
Assault rifle ban
Universal background checks
Domestic violence ban

Perfect. This is what Congress should be working to implement. I'm sure some of you will have a field day with this. But I won't be responding to any yeah buts or what abouts.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:55 PM

7,214 posts, read 7,859,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post

14 day waiting periods.
No sales at gun shows
10 rounds magazine limit
No bump stocks
No cranks
Licenses for all arms
Child Lock Requirements
Assault rifle ban
Domestic violence ban

Perfect. This is what Congress should be working to implement. I'm sure some of you will have a field day with this. But I won't be responding to any yeah buts or what abouts.
Perfectly willing to trample the Constitution rather than looking for solutions that work. Since you arenít willing to defend your position, why post at all?

Old 08-11-2019, 05:58 PM

10,012 posts, read 4,706,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post

14 day waiting periods.
No sales at gun shows
10 rounds magazine limit
No bump stocks
No cranks
Licenses for all arms
Child Lock Requirements
Assault rifle ban
Domestic violence ban

Is this meant as a joke? Start with the easy one. Private sales, One state has a law and can find no way to enforce it.
Domestic violence bans, red flag laws are already being abused.
We already have universal background check,
As fast as you can change magazines a 10 round limit would accomplish nothing,
How would you go back and license the 400 million so guns many of which have no serial numbers?
Bump stocks are already illegal
"cranks" ?
Sales at gun shows require a BG check, so no different than a store
Assault rifles are already almost impossible to buy at $15-$20,000each.
Child lock, why. why not parent instead?

Old 08-11-2019, 06:13 PM

5,321 posts, read 3,695,158 times
I've heard the phrase, "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns". Kinda like gun free zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or