U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:29 PM

15,320 posts, read 13,453,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How sad this is what our country has become. People are so afraid that they have to carry guns. What happened to us.
Lots of people strongly feel that protection of the 2nd Amendment is of graver importance than protecting innocent people from senseless gunfire. Further, 2nd Amendment supporters will tell you that restricting the 2nd Amendment will lead to a slippery slope where other rights will be cut, such as freedom of religion and the press for starters. As they see it, better to tolerate 1000s of innocent people dying from gunfire every year, innocent or not, than take a chance with our rights getting shredded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:52 PM

7,169 posts, read 7,848,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Lots of people strongly feel that protection of the 2nd Amendment is of graver importance than protecting innocent people from senseless gunfire. Further, 2nd Amendment supporters will tell you that restricting the 2nd Amendment will lead to a slippery slope where other rights will be cut, such as freedom of religion and the press for starters. As they see it, better to tolerate 1000s of innocent people dying from gunfire every year, innocent or not, than take a chance with our rights getting shredded.
Lots of people will tell you that getting rid of guns is more important than figuring out what the cause of the violence is, and would rather fight over unconstitutional laws than actually try to fix things. Further, they will tell you that the Bill of Rights doesnít matter as long as the laws they pass save even one life while they support the party that trampled on rights during both the Jim Crow era and World War II. As they see it, better to rely on the government for protection and give up all hope of making the government stay at least somewhat honest than to confront the fact that nearly every gun control measure theyíve introduced has failed, been abused, or been ignored on a daily basis.

Old Today, 12:00 AM

32,617 posts, read 26,580,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I have a firm theory that Columbine was the incident that broke America. It was when parents became so overprotective that they killed off childhood. Kids canít be kids anymore, because every single fun thing to do as a kid has been banned for being too dangerous. Try to find a playground with an old school merry-go-round. Or a gym class that has the kids playing dodgeball. Thereís another thread here about a kid getting hit in the face playing dodgeball at school and the mother claiming it was racist. I was less surprised by the racism claim than I was by the fact that they were playing dodgeball at school. Kids started being bubble wrapped and psychoanalyzed in the 90s, but the 2000s took it to new heights.

Columbine made people afraid of their own children. They didnít understand the kids at Columbine, and that made them realize they didnít understand their own children. Anything unique about their kid was subject to treatment, to the point that being on psychotropic drugs was no longer considered abnormal. As tragic as every mass shooting is, and school shootings even more so, I have a harder time being angrier at the shooter in school shootings than I am at the parents. The ones who took normal or maybe even slightly messed up kids and turned them into psychotics that shot up defenseless children and turned that piece of crap loose on the world. Make no mistake, the parents are to blame in most of these shootings. Someone in their 30s doing something like this has their own cross to bear, but a teenager or someone in their early 20s? The cretins have barely learned to operate a motor vehicle, have in most cases never driven a manual transmission, if they were lucky have had one serious romantic relationship, and still believe that theyíre invincible. Teenagers in general think they know everything, and an 18-20 year old boy is the biggest know it all there is. Theyíre children playing at being adults, and while yes they are whatever your definition of evil equates to, the parents made them this way. Real life hasnít even started to affect them yet.

Thereís a thought. Letís gather the stats on every school shooter, figure out how they were raised, and ban that. Because whatever the parents of school shooters did, it was definitely wrong in the end.

Then again, I could follow this chain farther and blame the doctors that prescribed mind altering drugs to children, or the tv show hosts who had authors of idiotic parenting guides on their shows, or even those authors that told parents that they should be friends with their children. (Want a friend? Get one your own age. If theyíre too young for you to date them, youíre too old to be friends with them). Truth is, nobody knows what causes mass shootings. However, itís time to admit that none of the anti gun ideas have worked. Itís past time that we put the focus elsewhere.

i agree with you that columbine was the last straw, but the issue has been building for decades. we started by taking god out of the schools, then we started taking god out of our lives, then we cheapened human life starting with roe v wade, making more violent movies and video games, and making parents scared to punish their children for fear of losing them to the state.

parents cant seem to say no to their children anymore, as no you cant have that toy, no you can play with guns, no you cant take illegal drugs, no you can torment those animals, no you cant stay our all night with your hoodlum friends, no you cant have a cell phone, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post

i think a lot of people are missing the point of the second amendment. i think too many people think that us second amendment supporters are just being selfish because we want to protect our gun rights over trying to protect others, but the reality is that we want to hold onto all our rights, in order to protect others. and in order to hold onto all our rights, we must hold onto the second amendment, because that amendment puts the teeth into the rest of the constitution

when the government fears the people, there is freedom, when the people fear the government there is oppression.

Old Today, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post

i think a lot of people are missing the point of the second amendment. i think too many people think that us second amendment supporters are just being selfish because we want to protect our gun rights over trying to protect others, but the reality is that we want to hold onto all our rights, in order to protect others. and in order to hold onto all our rights, we must hold onto the second amendment, because that amendment puts the teeth into the rest of the constitution

when the government fears the people, there is freedom, when the people fear the government there is oppression.
Many responsible gun owners don't fear or oppose background checks, training requirements, licensing, and denying firearms to the mentally unstable as well as felons who used guns to commit crimes. But I suppose you pretty strongly feel that buying a gun should be just as easy buying a knife at a store.

Old Today, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Lots of people will tell you that getting rid of guns is more important than figuring out what the cause of the violence is, and would rather fight over unconstitutional laws than actually try to fix things. Further, they will tell you that the Bill of Rights doesn’t matter as long as the laws they pass save even one life while they support the party that trampled on rights during both the Jim Crow era and World War II. As they see it, better to rely on the government for protection and give up all hope of making the government stay at least somewhat honest than to confront the fact that nearly every gun control measure they’ve introduced has failed, been abused, or been ignored on a daily basis.
Gun control measures don't fail in other countries, such as in Australia, where the murder rate by gun is considerably lower than the United States.

The U. S. has a higher rate of suicide by gun than any other country. People don't fret as much about that sad problem. I guess the right to have easy access to a gun to end your life is pretty important and should not be abridged. States that further loosen gun control laws risk more suicide by gun. But 2nd Amendment supporters will simply say that is what comes with the right to possess a gun and must be tolerated. Die and let die.

Old Today, 01:56 AM

7,973 posts, read 6,722,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I was carrying when I took my 13-year-old back so scholl shopping Saturday.

I usually carry when I go such places with family.

It's nice to know I can defend them in the highly unlikely event...
This post is truly horrifying! What a god awful place you must live in!

Old Today, 02:06 AM

1,287 posts, read 614,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This post is truly horrifying! What a god awful place you must live in!
Then mind your own business and worry about the UK.

You Brits just don’t get our culture— never have never will.

I know lots and lots of people with handgun carry permits—I would have one myself but just haven’t gotten around to going to the class.

America isn’t an awful place to live.

Old Today, 02:26 AM

7,973 posts, read 6,722,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister 7 View Post
Then mind your own business and worry about the UK.

You Brits just donít get our cultureó never have never will.

I know lots and lots of people with handgun carry permitsóI would have one myself but just havenít gotten around to going to the class.

America isnít an awful place to live.
I will not 'mind my own business', I will however give my opinion, that's the idea of this site surely? In fact I feel compelled to comment because of the anger I feel for the pointless loss of thousands of lives because of stubborn stupidity, just because its thousands of 'American' lives lost doesn't make it any less of a tragedy.

Old Today, 02:30 AM

19,169 posts, read 7,483,489 times
Happy to live in a nation where I can choose not to carry, or choose to carry, a firearm.

Its a personal choice, just as it should be, for the law-abiding, sane amongst us.

Old Today, 02:49 AM

1,287 posts, read 614,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I will not 'mind my own business', I will however give my opinion, that's the idea of this site surely? In fact I feel compelled to comment because of the anger I feel for the pointless loss of thousands of lives because of stubborn stupidity, just because its thousands of 'American' lives lost doesn't make it any less of a tragedy.
You’re free to say whatever you like but you have no clue about the USA.

Tell me your solution to destroy/disable 500 million guns?

Nobody is ever going to tell me I can’t have a gun in my house.

And us being a “god awful place to live”, take that sanctimonious rhetoric and stuff it.

The UK is a rainy, cold, tiny island the size of one of our states. Insane taxes and government control. That sounds like pure hell to me personally. Your food is terrible too and have you ever heard of ice in water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or