U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 08:54 AM

10,463 posts, read 6,361,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
When we all are forced to arm ourselves to the teeth and face down every childcare dropoff, grocery trip, and public venue like an apocalyptic battle to the death, and generally live our lives in a prison-like lockdown 24/7 to increase chances of survival...

...then will all the conservatives collectively orgasm and finally proclaim that we have entered into the enlightened Age of Nirvana. Tears of joy will be cried by many a city-data poster and NRA shill.

So it is written in the obsessive gun proliferator's hymnal. Amen.

I'm glad you hate firearms... you would be someone I'd be very uncomfortable with having them. You base too much on emotion, not fact.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 08:57 AM

14,422 posts, read 11,735,444 times
In terms of more people being proactive and choosing to be armed I feel this is a good thing. That being said it is also the one issue I am willing to move on in terms of new regulation. Regulation and responsibility that doesn't really need government involvement.

I am all for doing away with these shake n bake CCW "courses." I feel that someone who is going to carry a weapon for the purpose of self/loved ones/ public defense they should show a certain level of skill and ability to do so.

CCW training should be far more intensive. When a student graduates they should be able to actively show ability to handle their weapon under stress, know what the adrenaline dump is like and be able to control it and still be able to handle their weapon, function and think.

Just putting 3 rounds out of 7 close to a target at 7 yards under conditions that are no more intense than shooting cans in the desert won't do. Getting people to this level does not require government involvement. In truth that would do more harm than good. We don't need or want government flipdicks overseeing civilian training. The abilities of most cops proves this.

A sanctioned qualification test performed by citizen personnel who are vetted to do so and will sign off on certification under a set of criteria set forth by citizen implemented rules is what I have in mind. This will be presented to whatever authority has jurisdiction upon submitting a CCW application. The certification people are responsible for saying the applicant is qualified without any government by your leave other than the processing of applications.

And certification has to be for real. No pencil whipping and that applies to ALL applicants equally. No matter how wealthy, connected or ...influential...their station in life. I for one am willing to donate my time experience and training to this. I already do in the class I help instruct.

We who carry a firearm with the purpose of defending our loved ones ourselves and the public owe it to ourselves to be the best we can be. Better than the police which is not that hard to do truth be known. Most cops are not nearly so "highly trained" as many would have us believe. We need to be better. So that is one new "regulation" I would be willing to consider.

Old Today, 08:58 AM

Quote:
The mindset that actually promotes this IS unhealthy and unreasonable.

This is what we hear every time another massacre goes down: the problem isn't too many easily accessible guns; the problem is NOT ENOUGH guns!

Everyone needs to be ready to shoot back! More guards! Barbed wire! Gun turrets! More, more, more guns for everyone! Just for God's sake..no restriction on every nut's easy access to things like high-capacity assault rifles.

If more guns made us safe, we should be the safest nation on the planet by now.

And if we have to live like a patrol on active duty back in Vietnam to make it through regular civilian life, then we have already long lost our way. That's what conservatives don't realiz.

Being that it isn't the firearms causing the issues, but people willing to kill others, the only thing to fight that with is a deterrent. Hopefully the knowledge that ones victim could shoot back is enough. There isn't one firearms owner I know that actually wants to every have to use one in self defense. Being prepared though costs little.

I know, this is logic and common sense, something you aren't very good with concerning this issue.

Old Today, 09:02 AM

Quote:
It's only the truth because conservative gun nuts have made easy proliferation of high-capacity firearms the status quo in this country, fueled by false, self-serving arguments about how we need more guns to finally make us safe.

Your argument is basically a self-fulfilling prophecy: make a society where high-powered firearms are proliferated, and the result is a lot of public massacres that scare the rest of us into arming ourselves just to make it through the day. We'll, sure, under such scenario I guess I and everyone else will have to plan to live in a war zone.

But it's not the truth in other developed nations on the planet who take a common sense approach to firearms restriction.

Not sure how old you are, but are you aware that these "high-powered firearms" (whatever that means) have been available to the public for the last 50 years or more ? And have been much more easily attainable ? So, have you been living in fear of them your entire life ?

Old Today, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Oh, stop your silly projection nonsense. It isn't me afraid to go anywhere without a firearm. I'm not in the least afraid of guns. Was hunting before you were probably born (early 1960's) large game of all kinds in far northern wilderness you, living in the U.S., likely have no idea existed on the N.A. continent. Yes, I also carried a back-up Webley large frame . 455

The people with the mental health issues are those who think the owning and carrying of a firearm makes them somehow more manly. That's the real root of this obsession some of you have for your pocket soothers. It's subliminally evident in every post on here bosting of having them to defend yourselves from the bogeymen out there.

Americans have now created the paradox of proliferating firearms to the point you've totally abandoned the notion of primarily owning firearms to forestall a tyrannical government to now one solely of self defence from your fellow citizens; "but I needs my gun to feel safe going outdoors".

Cripes; it'd be an amusing kabuki theater show if it weren't so ineffably and sadly moronic.

You are absolutely correct on this. And those are the people I do not want carrying a firearm around. Carrying a firearm for protection is an extremely serious responsibility , one that has no exception for tough guy , machismo attitudes. In fact, it does quite the opposite, it should make one do everything they can to not get themselves into a heated situation, or if they are in one, to try and de-escalate it.

I'm sure you know that , being a gun owner and all.

Old Today, 09:09 AM

Quote:
We wouldn't even need to give up everyone's second Amendment rights - another lie we constantly hear in the name of the stupidest policies that put high-capacity assault rifles in the hands of any young lunatic.

I know nothing will change here, and maybe things will get so bad that I also have to arm myself to make it through the day. Looks like we are heading in that direction. At that point I probably will be paranoid. Probably a lot of other people as well.

But that will be the sign of a failed society, not a successful one.

We've already got a failed society , and it has nothing to do with firearms.

Old Today, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Actually, I am wondering why more people aren't looking into body armor?
Because it isn't a deterrent ?

Old Today, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
How sad this is what our country has become. People are so afraid that they have to carry guns. What happened to us.

Good question. What has happened ? What has happened in our inner cities ? What has happened with our young male adults ?

Why are people getting gunned down over a bag of potato chips, or a disagreement ?
Why are people getting gunned down because some young adult can't handle life ?

Answer those , fix those problems and you will see the violence stop. In the meantime though, my wife and I will take our protection into our own hands. Who is protect you and yours ?

Old Today, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Just what the USA needs -- a whole bunch of folks not trained on guns carrying guns....YEAH!!!

Is this freedom - because if this is the 'land of the free' - it sucks.

Don't be apart of it then. The left always states a firearms owner is more likely to shoot himself, well if that is the case you've got nothing to worry about.

Old Today, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Anyone who is afraid to leave their home without a gun has mental issues as well. Paranoia is a recognized symptom of mental disease.

Another individual that I'm glad is against firearms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or