U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM
 
34,544 posts, read 18,750,996 times
Reputation: 7664

Advertisements

Good lord, the left is doing some serious fear mongering in this thread....SAD....but expected...


Never let a crisis go to waste...signed rham....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM
 
Location: in my imagination
11,445 posts, read 18,663,286 times
Reputation: 7954
ordinary commoners don't need a gun only special people like the rich, politicians and celebrities do being high profile , just call the cops they are only minutes away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM
 
10,238 posts, read 6,393,774 times
Reputation: 8521
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
This post is truly horrifying! What a god awful place you must live in!
I wouldn't crow too much. When my daughter was going to college in England, she begged me to send her some pepper spray. She had to walk through a real ratty park to get to class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:02 AM
 
9,974 posts, read 4,689,694 times
Reputation: 5575
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Actually one is more likely to be killed due to a car accident, or medical malpractice. Being shot is way down the list, unless you live in one of the war zones across the country in our inner cities.
According to stats, about 250,000 people die each year due to medical mistakes. Quite a few more than guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM
 
9,974 posts, read 4,689,694 times
Reputation: 5575
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
I wouldn't crow too much. When my daughter was going to college in England, she begged me to send her some pepper spray. She had to walk through a real ratty park to get to class.
I had a friend who lived in London for a year. He said muggings were so common most people did not bother to report them. He said the gangs control the streets and just laugh at the cops. The gangs all carry knives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:08 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
14,424 posts, read 11,740,150 times
Reputation: 13488
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Good question. What has happened ? What has happened in our inner cities ? What has happened with our young male adults ?


Why are people getting gunned down over a bag of potato chips, or a disagreement ?
Why are people getting gunned down because some young adult can't handle life ?


Answer those , fix those problems and you will see the violence stop. In the meantime though, my wife and I will take our protection into our own hands. Who is protect you and yours ?

Truly. And I know within myself that I am far better able to do so than the cops. I my entire life, much of that spent in training and competition with firearms and other means of defense, I have met two LE types who were even close to the level of our best shooters.


Outside of SWAT and sometimes that is questionable, most cops do not train and practice to a level of true proficiency. Something the leftist gun grabbers do not want coming to light since reliance on the police for armed protection is one of their pitches.


We have "highly trained" police watching out for us. This is a total lie. But a lot of folks are willing to by off on that. After all LE is assumed to be the best. They are not. With all due respect to the good cops out there it's just a fact. One that is little known outside of certain circles, but still a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:13 AM
 
9,974 posts, read 4,689,694 times
Reputation: 5575
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Truly. And I know within myself that I am far better able to do so than the cops. I my entire life, much of that spent in training and competition with firearms and other means of defense, I have met two LE types who were even close to the level of our best shooters.


Outside of SWAT and sometimes that is questionable, most cops do not train and practice to a level of true proficiency. Something the leftist gun grabbers do not want coming to light since reliance on the police for armed protection is one of their pitches.


We have "highly trained" police watching out for us. This is a total lie. But a lot of folks are willing to by off on that. After all LE is assumed to be the best. They are not. With all due respect to the good cops out there it's just a fact. One that is little known outside of certain circles, but still a fact.
Go to a gun range and shoot with cops. Many have to try several times just to qualify. They must hit a life size target from 25 feet and miss more than they hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:17 AM
 
Location: southern california
55,896 posts, read 74,921,741 times
Reputation: 48443
The hive is confused- it does not unify to repulse a threat- each individual feels the need to personally defend him or herself -this greatly weakens the hive -
Reinforced by the authorities -actually punishing attempts to defend the hive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
7,178 posts, read 7,848,957 times
Reputation: 5805
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Gun control measures don't fail in other countries, such as in Australia, where the murder rate by gun is considerably lower than the United States.

The U. S. has a higher rate of suicide by gun than any other country. People don't fret as much about that sad problem. I guess the right to have easy access to a gun to end your life is pretty important and should not be abridged. States that further loosen gun control laws risk more suicide by gun. But 2nd Amendment supporters will simply say that is what comes with the right to possess a gun and must be tolerated. Die and let die.
Yet again, a comparison to another country as if firearms are the single difference between us and them. The UK is restricting knives now to prevent violence. Just stop trying to force people whose ancestors escaped Europe to become just like the countries their ancestors fled. Europe, as a whole, has been responsible for more atrocities in the last century than anybody. They dragged us into two wars (Japan gets a partial credit for WW2). The pulled us into a ďpolice actionĒ in Asia. They have a history of pissing off their neighbors to the point that tanks roll. Why are we supposed to be emulating them?

Really? Suicide? Suicide prevention is your argument? Why does it matter to you that someone wants to take their own life? We are endowed with the rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Unless someone has committed a crime and lost their liberty, they should have every right to commit suicide. Should we try to convince them not to? Yes. In many cases they may be saved. But what gives you the moral right to force them not to? The use of force against anyone for any reason other than defense is wrong. The use of coercion to force someone to do what you want them to do is wrong. The only exception is if someone has shown that they are a danger to society.

Firearms are the most popular suicide method because itís a sure thing. You donít hear many stories about people surviving a close range shot to the head. Even if we follow the warped logic that firearms cause suicides, the second most popular is hanging and suffocation, mainly by people who didnít have access to a firearm, and that stat is skewed because people who choke themselves for fun end up in the suicide list many times. Poison is third. Know how people in other countries tend to commit suicide? Poison, which will be the number one method in the United States if firearms magically disappear. Whatever the method they use, you have no moral justification to dictate it for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:41 AM
 
Location: NW Nevada
14,424 posts, read 11,740,150 times
Reputation: 13488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Go to a gun range and shoot with cops. Many have to try several times just to qualify. They must hit a life size target from 25 feet and miss more than they hit.

Oh I know. Most cops around here just flat refuse to come out and compete with us lowly civilians in the many and varied shooting events that happen here regularly. They will compete in cops only inter department stuff but not with us.


The excuse offered for this is usually that we civilians don't set things up by police standards. True. We are more intensive and challenging. I went and observed a regional SWAT competition one day and was left with my jaw on the ground. It was pathetic and it scares me to believe that these are the guys who are the "elite" of LE assets.


Our A class (probably B as well) and Master class shooters could have beaten these guys on the rifle array using handguns. The hard truth of the matter is that there are far more regular citizens out here that are far better trained and practiced than there are cops. Even "elite" cops.


The SWAT match I watched did not even have any induced stress situations to navigate. Huh?! One would think that to be obligatory. We woefully inadequate civilians compete under such conditions. What's up with the "highly trained" LE guys?


The real reason they will not come out for our matches, which they are very welcome to do, is that they don't want to be embarrassed by "civilians." I think that a great many cops have an overinflated sense of confidence in their training and abilities because they never go up against anyone but other cops. So their match high winners think they have actually done something worth crowing about. Ummm, not so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top