U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:33 AM

19,160 posts, read 9,747,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Of course guns are the problem. Not the ONLY problem - love or violence and lack of social capital are big problems as well. But it's completely stupid that we as a nation allow easy access to weapons of war.

Maybe we should stop with the "America is the best" bull**** and learn something from the other developed, democratic nations that do this far better than us.
Let’s assume what you said is true. None of the problems can be solved overnight. There are close to 500 million guns in US and even if we implement an outright ban and confiscation, it would be decades before any meaningful effects can be seen.

So if they are truly problems, why aren’t you armed to protect yourself and your family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

7,169 posts, read 7,848,957 times
Quote:
Of course guns are the problem. Not the ONLY problem - love or violence and lack of social capital are big problems as well. But it's completely stupid that we as a nation allow easy access to weapons of war.
Again, for the umpteenth time, if the availability of firearms were the problem our ancestors would have died before they reproduced.

In 1985, 44% of US households had firearms. There were 2 incidents that could be called mass shootings. One was a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic who opened fire at a shopping mall. The other was a bunch of teenagers who disrupted a football game in Detroit and fired a shotgun into the crowd, injuring 7.

In 2014, 31% of US households had firearms. There were 8 reported mass shootings, including Fort Hood.

The availability of firearms has jack to do with mass shootings. A simple bit of research comparing the ownership of firearms with mass shooting incidents shows this.

Would you like to know when mass shootings started to become so ubiquitous? I can tell you. It started after the enactment of the Safe Schools Act that informed everyone where the soft targets were. In the 20 years following the SSA, the frequency of mass shootings nearly tripled in comparison to the 20 years prior. Numbers donít lie.

Quote:
Maybe we should stop with the "America is the best" bull**** and learn something from the other developed, democratic nations that do this far better than us.
You mean countries like Britain, where they now ban knives because the gun ban didnít stop crime? We can learn something from Britain. We can learn that banning the implement wonít do a thing to stop criminals and psychopaths.

I understand that you want firearms to go away, even though I disagree with you on whether or not it will solve anything. My biggest issue with you and the rest of the anti gun crowd is that you are trying to ban/restrict firearms illegally. If you want to ban firearms, the only legal way to do so is to repeal the 2nd Amendment. I have yet to see any Democrat politician who has even seriously broached the topic. They rant, rave, and spew insults at those of us who stand up for the constitution yet are unwilling to touch the subject of repealing the 2nd. Neither do I see a grass roots movement to repeal the 2nd gaining ground. Why is that?

Old Yesterday, 10:46 AM

18,567 posts, read 9,121,378 times
You are more likely to win Power Ball, and get hit by lightning twice, at the same time than be killed in a mass shooting. The media loves to sensationalize everything, cause fear, panic, and spread disinformation. They are the biggest problem we face in this country.

Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM

10,976 posts, read 2,830,693 times
Quote:
It's only the truth because conservative gun nuts have made easy proliferation of high-capacity firearms the status quo in this country, fueled by false, self-serving arguments about how we need more guns to finally make us safe.

Your argument is basically a self-fulfilling prophecy: make a society where high-powered firearms are proliferated, and the result is a lot of public massacres that scare the rest of us into arming ourselves just to make it through the day. We'll, sure, under such scenario I guess I and everyone else will have to plan to live in a war zone.

But it's not the truth in other developed nations on the planet who take a common sense approach to firearms restriction.
This is America...Many died fighting the American Revolution...so we would be DIFFERENT than 'other countries!

Especially when it comes to what we allow our Govt to do.

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

14,398 posts, read 11,735,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why would I want a gun. I want to live a peaceful life. I donít want to live in fear where I felt I needed to carry a gun. Thatís just not life for me. And this shouldnít be for our country.

(sigh) Personally all I want is a peaceful life and to be left be to live it as well. And I have been around and trained heavily with guns that whole life. I don't and have never lived in fear and I carry a firearm. It's not even fear that motivate me to do so. It is prudence and experience.

I have never gone looking for trouble. But, it has come looking for me. I have had to fire in defense of myself against aggressive wild animals and once against two legged animals. In the latter case I was minding my own business stuck in traffic on a side street. Then all of a sudden a beer can bounce off my truck and when I put my head on a swivel I was being approached by two men who obviously wanted trouble.

They were making gestures and openly challenging me. I couldn't go anywhere. Just driving off was not an option. So I got out and stood my ground. When they closed the distance the one out front pulled up his shirt and took a pistol out of his waist band and the other produced a large knife.

The one with the gun started to raise it and point it at me and I drew the weapon I was carrying and shot him twice. The one with the knife backpeddled and ran. People who were in the traffic line behind me saw the whole thing. I shut m truck off, put my weapon on the seat and stepped away from it. I have no doubt that if I had not been armed I would either be dead or crippled from gunshot wounds.

I knew full well the goblin I shot was quite dead. The cops showed up and then the games began. The patrolmen were actually pretty practical. about it. They checked the guy I put down and recovered the weapon he had then took my and the witnesses statements. They did take my weapon of course and then asked (asked mind you) that I follow them to the station which I did.

They really didn't keep me long and they wrote it up as clear cut self defense. Which it was. The DA had other ideas. I wound up going through a very invasive investigation. A guy from a very rural area in the city plus my weapon had modifications to it so I had to have been looking for trouble. Even though all the witnesses backed me up. It took me better than three months to settle.

It wound up in a hearing with the DA trying to smear me like a bug on a windshield but the judge wasn't having it. Thankfully. Had I been in CA I would still be in prison. It still took another month for me to get my weapon back. No, it's not fear that motivates me to be armed. The only fear is of the judicial system. But I did then and do now refuse to be a victim. I will not be food for hyenas. And no matter how you try to live your life, and I certainly want peace as well, predators don't care. And they don't care where and when they ambush you either.

It doesn't even have to be a bad neighborhood or other area they will pick to try and dry gulch you. Living in fear is not the life for me either. Nor is it for the rest of the country. And how we choose to allay fear and feel safe is an individual decision. It has been judicially ruled that the cops are under no obligation to keep us safe and protected. So who's going to assume that obligation if not us?

Nobody is completely safe from harm anywhere. And harm can strike anytime. Taking precautions against all the forms harm can take is only prudent. Precautions against predators whether four or two legged come in the form of being armed for me. As much as I desire to be peaceable and mind my own there are those who will try and deny me that.

And the police neither can and under no duty to safeguard me against those people.

Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

19,160 posts, read 9,747,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Why would I want a gun. I want to live a peaceful life. I don’t want to live in fear where I felt I needed to carry a gun. That’s just not life for me. And this shouldn’t be for our country.
We have close to 500 million guns in the country. They aren’t going anywhere anytime soon no matter what you try.

If you aren’t armed, who will protect you when people want to do harm to you or your family given gun problem is a huge problem as you believe?

Last edited by lifeexplorer; Yesterday at 12:30 PM..

Old Yesterday, 12:23 PM

14,398 posts, read 11,735,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
We have close to 500 million guns in the country. They arenít going anywhere anytime soon.

If you arenít armed, who will protect you when people want to do harm to you or your family given gun problem is a huge problem as you believe?

Well with what the Democrats and now a good many Republicans are putting out there now national registration, licensing, a semi auto ban, and red flags could become reality. For starters. The national registry is something the Dems have been trying to get for decades now as is the licensing scheme.

The Dems won't settle for anything but a ban and confiscation of semi autos and not just service type weapons like the AR. I keep hearing from g
semi auto ban advocates that "nobody is coming for my guns." "Your hunting rifle is safe." (That gives me comfort since I don't hunt anymore) "All we want is a common sense ban on "assault rifles." (meaning all semi autos with a detachable mag) "you don't NEED an AR15." (What my needs are is my business) And one of the biggies, "YOU have blood on your hands."

The fact is that if they can get away with it someone will be coming for my firearms. The 2A has nothing to do with hunting. I'm sick of the whole "sporting purpose" drivel. My safety and the safety of my loved ones is not a sport. And as to "blood on my hands" catch a clue. I am not a criminal or a nut case. I have just as much desire or more than these gunophobics to see innocent lives protected and a willing to lay my own life on the line to do so needs be.

I'm just as ticked about these mass shootings as anyone as well. I just don't see how punishing me and taking my firearms, turning me into a criminal at the stroke of a pen, and compiling my personal life in a federal and or state data base because I own firearms is going to stop these mass shooters.

We firearms owners are the target of some of the worst rhetoric, stigma, labeling and downright violent spew from the leftist politicians and their supporters right now it scares me. Yes, I said violent. I have seen and heard it. Advocating for door to door searches and confiscation of firearms by armed agents and saying there's nothing we will be able to do if they get their way. We will be helpless and should just submit. We don't stand a chance against the force they will seen brought to bear.

Resist and we will be shot dead. I've read it and heard from to many people now. All the denials to the contrary are nothing but lies. Those who advocate for "gun control" are supporting the leftist power grab. And believe "it's for our own good." What I am hearing now more than concerns me as to where it might go.

There is talk about preserving due process, respecting the Constitution, preserving the 2A, not turning law abiding firearms owners into criminals out of hand blah blah. Particularly the Democrats have no intent of treating gun owners as any more than targets for their badge wearing thugs. I suppose badge wearing is erroneous .More like digi cam tactical uniforms, load bearing vest brisling with spare magazines, body armor, pistols in tactical thigh rigs, assault weapon carrying, punctuated with grenades and everything else these extreme leftists claim to hate aimed at law abiding and legitimate firearms owners. Its OK to spray bullets at those they don't like and after all, it's for the good of the nation.

It all is just shattering my calm. And all these rabid gun and gun owner haters need to shut up about "nobody wants to take your guns."

Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM

7,524 posts, read 4,525,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Whoever wrote that headline should be fired. At the very least, a journalist should understand the definition of the words he uses.

Petrified: so frightened that one is unable to move; terrified.

Pretty sure if one is unable to move one would be unable to shop.
That is a good point. Words matter and this headline is extremely biased. One of my producers in TV news told me two things that stuck with me years after we worked together.

1.) Don't tell people how they should feel.

For instance, I cringe every time an anchor or reporter tells me "Shocking news tonight..." Give me the news, not the views. I might not onsider it shocking it all.

2.) Don't tell me how other people feel.

Let them tell me. If one person says she is "petrified," fine. She's one person. Not everyone who is going out to buy guns are petrified otherwise they couldn't manage to get out of their house.

People o C-D are always looking for biased news. Well, with this headline, here you go.

Old Yesterday, 01:31 PM

7,524 posts, read 4,525,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Here is another example/reason to take control of your own self protection-Jeffery Epstein.
Govt police couldnt keep him safe while under suicide/homicide watch in a well lit, secured cell with 24/7 video surveillance.
The incompetence is deafening.
First, he was not on a suicide watch.

Second, defending gun rights by using an alleged sex offender who was currently in jail awaiting trial seems a bit unusual.

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

30,816 posts, read 33,659,608 times
So we aren't talking about confiscating everyone's guns anymore I take it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or