U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 01:24 PM

15,646 posts, read 8,045,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's right, don't do something and blame that on another group and make them the scapegoat or fall guy.

I just wished for once I could hear one black person say they didn't accomplish something because it was too hard for them or they couldn't on their own accord. I know I've heard white people say it, and I think Asians would say it.
LOL - where was the excuse/blaming. If someone feels that there is a lack of job prospects in a particular field so they choose another - what is wrong with that?

As noted, most black people who go to college graduate with a business degree and the most popular master's is an MBA. You can work in STEM and have an MBA.

There was a thread recently here where a Korean American employee was suing for discrimination at a tech company because the Asian Indian managers wouldn't hire anyone who wasn't Asian Indian. I personally know quite a few black people who have STEM degrees, some of them are the children of African immigrants and even they have stated that there is a bias against certain places hiring black people in certain occupations in STEM. One of them is a very good friend of mine and she got an MBA as well after having a CS degree and now had a very good position after leaving the industry she used to work in which was Asian and white male oriented. The networks often don't include black people. There are efforts to expand those networks but in the interim, people in my generation who got STEM degrees, many move into the MBA/business field and work as consultants for software systems since they can make 6 figures easily in the consultant world. That is not an excuse for not "getting by" lol. That is getting what you want, which is something black people do and is a part of our culture as a demographic (being resilient and thriving/surviving in various environments).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 01:47 PM

13,653 posts, read 4,121,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL - where was the excuse/blaming. If someone feels that there is a lack of job prospects in a particular field so they choose another - what is wrong with that?

As noted, most black people who go to college graduate with a business degree and the most popular master's is an MBA. You can work in STEM and have an MBA.

There was a thread recently here where a Korean American employee was suing for discrimination at a tech company because the Asian Indian managers wouldn't hire anyone who wasn't Asian Indian. I personally know quite a few black people who have STEM degrees, some of them are the children of African immigrants and even they have stated that there is a bias against certain places hiring black people in certain occupations in STEM. One of them is a very good friend of mine and she got an MBA as well after having a CS degree and now had a very good position after leaving the industry she used to work in which was Asian and white male oriented. The networks often don't include black people. There are efforts to expand those networks but in the interim, people in my generation who got STEM degrees, many move into the MBA/business field and work as consultants for software systems since they can make 6 figures easily in the consultant world. That is not an excuse for not "getting by" lol. That is getting what you want, which is something black people do and is a part of our culture as a demographic (being resilient and thriving/surviving in various environments).
I'm not saying there isn't any bias. I just assume Asian Indians are racist and biased and other Asians too, but it's against whites too. It's not just a whites biased against black thing. No group has been more dispossessed in colleges and employment than whites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or