U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 11:19 PM

7,284 posts, read 7,911,210 times

Advertisements

The reason for underperforming schools being in “minority neighborhoods”, what used to be referred to as ghettos, has less to do with racism than with economics. Teachers don’t want to teach there, usually. There are a few stalwarts that do it for the kids or the love of teaching or what have you, but most teachers don’t want to teach there. Therefore, you get underperforming teachers and a turnover rate that rivals the fast food industry. The ones that can’t find jobs elsewhere stick around, but that’s because they can’t find jobs elsewhere. The ones that can find jobs elsewhere get out as fast as they can.

Lest this post be considered racist in any way, a lot of rural areas face the same issue to a slightly lesser degree. The difference is that rural areas, while lacking some conveniences, are generally pleasant. The turnover in rural schools is usually due to the ones who aren’t suited to the rural life moving to higher paying jobs in the city (subjectively, at least; for some rural “city” means anything with more than 5 stop lights and 2 interstate exchanges).

Of course, that’s in general. In this particular case there seem to be other issues. Not sure if racism is the real culprit, but it does sound fishy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 11:30 PM

13,694 posts, read 4,145,053 times
I think an underperforming school is just a school where the students aren't bright and behave poorly regardless of what race they are.

But if the underperforming students aren't white we must blame white people and not the real culprit the underperforming, poorly behaved students.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:46 AM

30,841 posts, read 20,357,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
There's got to be something about those school buildings, something in the bricks and mortar, or the dirt they sit on, that makes them underperform. A team of technical experts should be assembled to investigate...

They must not have Internet...no smart phones either.

Algebra (Practice Problems)

https://www.khanacademy.org

Old 08-11-2019, 02:38 AM

27,310 posts, read 11,466,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Another part that has a race card angle: "Particularly alarming were disciplinary reports from the school district: Black students were suspended for 66 times as many days as white students — the largest such disparity in the state, Becerra said."
It's about being raised properly. Over 70 % of all black children are raised in single parent families. ~30% of whites are. Those raised in single parent families commit a much, much higher rate of crime. So of course they are going to encounter discipline problems more often.

Statistically, a child in a single-parent household is far more likely to experience violence, commit suicide, continue a cycle of poverty, become drug dependent, commit a crime or perform below his peers in education.

90% of welfare recipients are single mothers.

70% of gang members, high school dropouts, teen suicides, teen pregnancies and teen substance abusers come from single mother homes.

63% of suicides nationwide are individuals from single-parent families.

75% of children in chemical dependency hospitals are from single-parent families.

90% of all homeless and runaway children

85% of all children that exhibit behavioral disorders (Source: Center for Disease Control)

80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger (Source: Criminal Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26, 1978.)

71% of all high school dropouts (Source: National Principals Association Report on the State of High Schools.)

75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centers (Source: Rainbows for All God`s Children.)

70% of juveniles in state-operated institutions (Source: U.S. Dept. of Justice, Special Report, Sept 1988)

85% of all youths sitting in prisons (Source: Fulton County Georgia jail populations, Texas Department of Corrections 1992)

http://lib.post.ca.gov/Publications/...afe_Harbor.pdf

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 08-11-2019 at 02:50 AM..

Old 08-11-2019, 06:06 AM

34,006 posts, read 14,312,964 times
The education system in many states is heavily segregated mainly because funding is based on real estate taxes. States compensate by providing more funding but it doesn't come close to making up the gap and funding isn't the only issue. Students from homes with two parent college educated parents that are wealthy will always out perform single parent with a high school diploma. Send any child to one of these poor districts and the outcome is very predictable in spite of a few success stories. The narrative that they need to pull themselves up regardless of the odds is tedious, send your child to a school district like Camden, NJ is lets see the outcome.

I don't see the demographic on this story but I would guess there are many young single parents in many of these districts yet we continue to fight against clinics that offer family planning and education.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:24 AM

1,572 posts, read 349,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
If you had bothered to read your own link, you would know that a school in a largely minority neighborhood was deprived of funding that was provided to other mostly white schools in the same district. The students were not so much "under-performing" as were the administrators of the school district who deliberately tried to save money by throwing low income students under the bus.

For example, even the hardest working kids are going to be at a disadvantage if they attend a school with no library or no computers. If you gave the Pittsburg Pirates bats and balls that came from the discard pile at the local thrift shop while the opposing team had top of the line sporting equipment, the Pirates would "under perform" too.

Why are you okay with minority students receiving a substandard education? The dog whistle here is so loud that it hurts my ears.
You hear the dog whistle? Guess you are the dog.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:48 AM

5,217 posts, read 2,674,676 times
Asian liberal here. I'm going to say something very unpopular to say among liberals. The main driver for under-performing schools isn't the black of funding. It is the cultural attitude toward education of the group that goes to such schools.

When my family first came to the states, we were dirt poor and lived in a run down mobile home neighborhood. We went to probably one of the worst schools in the Chicago area. There were always fights going on. My siblings and I did our best to learn as much as we could because that's what our parents taught us to do.

We all went on to universities and became engineers and mathematician.

On the other hand, the most disruptive students I can remember and also my bullies are now minimum wage workers. I still run into them from time to time.

Believe it or not, it starts with the parent(s). Unfortunately, there are many communities that do not value education. Most of these communities are overflowed with single moms.

Throwing more money at these schools will not change anything. It starts at home. Fix the cultural attitude toward education first. Get the parents involved. Get the kids interested in the subjects. Anything.

PS. I did not have a computer or use a computer until college. That's how poor our school was. I turned out just fine. Programming was my first job out of college.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:08 AM

11,081 posts, read 4,580,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Asian liberal here. I'm going to say something very unpopular to say among liberals. The main driver for under-performing schools isn't the black of funding. It is the cultural attitude toward education of the group that goes to such schools.

When my family first came to the states, we were dirt poor and lived in a run down mobile home neighborhood. We went to probably one of the worst schools in the Chicago area. There were always fights going on. My siblings and I did our best to learn as much as we could because that's what our parents taught us to do.

On the other hand, the most disruptive students I can remember and also my bullies are now minimum wage workers. I still run into them from time to time.

Believe it or not, it starts with the parent(s). Unfortunately, there are many communities that do not value education. Most of these communities are overflowed with single moms.

Throwing more money at these schools will not change anything. It starts at home. Fix the cultural attitude toward education first. Get the parents involved. Get the kids interested in the subjects. Anything.

PS. I did not have a computer or use a computer until college. That's how poor our school was. I turned out just fine. Programming was my first job out of college.
If you have a solidly triple digit IQ you can become an engineer, despite growing up with one parent or going to a school with less resources. But if you have an IQ that is typical of students in "under-performing schools", you can't, regardless of how good your parents and school are. They math involved will be forever beyond your ability.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:13 AM

1,572 posts, read 349,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post

Spot on. But this kind of truth is ignored by leftists trying to blame poor performance on systemic racism.

It really comes down to one word: honor. Some cultures just don't value it.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:17 AM

5,217 posts, read 2,674,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
If you have a solidly triple digit IQ you can become an engineer, despite growing up with one parent or going to a school with less resources. But if you have an IQ that is typical of students in "under-performing schools", you can't, regardless of how good your parents and school are. They math involved will be forever beyond your ability.
I don't agree with this. I've taken an iq test before. I don't remember exactly what I got. I just remember being slightly below average. Trust me, I am anything but triple digit IQ.

My oldest neice is now in med school. She took the ACT three times and never scored higher than mid to high 20s. That is actually considered low by any standard in higher education.

Look, I'm not saying IQ doesn't matter. I'm saying there is nothing special about my family genes. It is the culture of valuing education and respect for elders and teachers that have given our family much success in life.

And I really hate to point this out. But back in school it was always the black and Hispanic students that were disruptive and disrespectful to teachers. There is something in their subculture that make them act like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or