U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2019, 08:37 AM
 
1,572 posts, read 349,290 times
Reputation: 1692

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Don't just focus on inner city areas with large minority population. Rural middle America ain't doing much better. I have a friend who's a teacher. He has taught in both rural and urban areas. He tells me that the kids from both have the same disruptive and disrespectful attitude toward teachers and elders.
I'm sure there is some of that going on, but an anecdote is not indicative of widespread cultural issues that exist in inner city areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-11-2019, 08:40 AM
 
5,217 posts, read 2,674,676 times
Reputation: 6612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I'm sure there is some of that going on, but an anecdote is not indicative of widespread cultural issues that exist in inner city areas.
It also shouldn't get ignored completely out of some PC sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 08:50 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
34,189 posts, read 42,767,803 times
Reputation: 43768
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I'm sorry, I'm just not convinced a person is limited by his genes.

How about this. I've told you I've always been below average and managed to become an engineer. Here is the next part. I've always been told by everyone in my family that we don't have what it takes to start or own a business. The thinking in my family is get good grades in school and work for somebody else the rest of our lives until we retire.

Earlier this year, my husband and I started a business. After everything is set in motion and we are earning good income from it, we quit our jobs to dedicate full time to our business.

The wrath from my family...
Why did you bring genes into it, I certainly didn't? Genes isn't what "social pathologies" means.

You're comparing apples to aardvarks with your family and the families of the cohort we're talking about. The first biggie is "Get good grades". Your family knows what that means and how to do it, others don't have a clue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 08:52 AM
 
612 posts, read 121,775 times
Reputation: 709
Give it another 5-10 years for the affluent to continue their abandonment of the public school system.

Public schools will eventually be nothing more than daytime detention centers for children of the poor, operated by union thugs wasting egregious amounts of taxpayer dollars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 09:35 AM
 
5,217 posts, read 2,674,676 times
Reputation: 6612
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Why did you bring genes into it, I certainly didn't? Genes isn't what "social pathologies" means.

You're comparing apples to aardvarks with your family and the families of the cohort we're talking about. The first biggie is "Get good grades". Your family knows what that means and how to do it, others don't have a clue.
So you agree with me that it starts with the family values?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 10:00 AM
 
11,981 posts, read 8,643,924 times
Reputation: 7303
In my state, new teachers go into the lowest performing school.

If there is a vacancy in the district, the teacher with the most seniority has preference for the job.

The morning paper had an article about teacher turnover. Of the 47 teachers the first day of school at a local school in the 2015-16 school year only 8 are still there.

We bought a house in a blue ribbon school with less than 10% economically disadvantaged students. The district opened a new school. All the experienced teachers left to staff the new school. My Blue Ribbon school had 4 principals in 10 years. IDK how many staff turnovers. But nobody would want their kids to attend that school.

IMO, the best teachers should be paid more to work with the kids who need the most help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 10:19 AM
 
1,572 posts, read 349,290 times
Reputation: 1692
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
It also shouldn't get ignored completely out of some PC sense.
If you read my posts, you'll soon discover I am anything BUT PC.

Why are you arguing so vehemently with people who are agreeing with you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 10:25 AM
 
1,670 posts, read 357,846 times
Reputation: 1978
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
In my state, new teachers go into the lowest performing school.

If there is a vacancy in the district, the teacher with the most seniority has preference for the job.

The morning paper had an article about teacher turnover. Of the 47 teachers the first day of school at a local school in the 2015-16 school year only 8 are still there.

We bought a house in a blue ribbon school with less than 10% economically disadvantaged students. The district opened a new school. All the experienced teachers left to staff the new school. My Blue Ribbon school had 4 principals in 10 years. IDK how many staff turnovers. But nobody would want their kids to attend that school.

IMO, the best teachers should be paid more to work with the kids who need the most help.
Teachers are held responsible when the kids fail. A higher salary/bonus won't help that issue.
And being held accountable for something out of your control is a huge incentive NOT to take a job in a poor school district with consistently failing students.

A lot may take that job because there's nothing else available come August or they are first year teachers and will take any job to get something on their resume.
And they then spend the year looking for better opportunities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 10:26 AM
 
5,217 posts, read 2,674,676 times
Reputation: 6612
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
If you read my posts, you'll soon discover I am anything BUT PC.

Why are you arguing so vehemently with people who are agreeing with you?
Because I'm an idiot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 10:51 AM
 
Location: North Beach, MD on the Chesapeake
34,189 posts, read 42,767,803 times
Reputation: 43768
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
So you agree with me that it starts with the family values?
The educational expert over there drinking a 40 from a paper bag just pissed himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Because I'm an idiot
We agree on one thing anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top