U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 06:22 PM

27,768 posts, read 16,082,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
A school’s performance is a reflection of student performance.

Schools with higher enrollment of Asian students tend to out perform other schools. Their performance compensates for the masses with mediocre performance.

Some cultures have historically placed a high value on education.
OK that is bigoted (even if true). The fact remains that allegedly the school district made this a low performing school at the benefit of another school with a far more white population. This is not how you make schools work. This is merely a way to continue the cycle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 06:41 PM

16,737 posts, read 16,875,389 times
It's a fairytale and a convenient way to make excuses for Kiddies who do not give a rip about
education.

In the same vein as so-called food-deserts being a reason inner-city people are so fat.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:54 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,538,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Asian students consistently score at the top academically, on average. That's the key here - averages. Of course there are going to be low performing Asians. Who would expect that all Asians would score at the top? That's not how averages work.

If you don't understand what an average is then you have no business even discussing the issue.
People who treat all Asians as being the same have no business even discussing the issue. When people talk about "Asian", they tend to talk about 25% of the population. Afghanistan is Asia. Iraq is Asia. Yemen is Asia. Kazakhstan is Asia. Mongolia is Asia.

Many Asians are very poor, and many Asians are not top students. Stop painting people in broad swaths.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:55 PM

5,086 posts, read 3,774,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Here's yet another story about false claims of racial victimhood, saying that black and hispanic students have been "corralled" into "underperforming schools." But how is that logically possible? Isn't it the students themselves who perform? Isn't that like saying that players for the Pittsburgh Pirates have been "corralled" into an underperforming baseball team?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...o-14293740.php
Here's an underperforming school for ya....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYFXZOKgbCA

Old 08-11-2019, 06:56 PM

13,766 posts, read 4,135,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
OK that is bigoted (even if true). The fact remains that allegedly the school district made this a low performing school at the benefit of another school with a far more white population. This is not how you make schools work. This is merely a way to continue the cycle.
That's not a fact, more like a false and racist allegation.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:58 PM

12,782 posts, read 3,455,466 times
I thought I'd post just to give people at least a slightly better idea of the general environment in that area, that others may see it as better than may be coming across in that article.

I'm a Bay Area native who has also lived in Southern California, briefly in Nevada, and now live in the Houston metro. I've been to every state except Alaska and Hawaii.

I'm not a Marin native (the county where this district is located), but most of my family members live there....from Sausalito (part of the OP's link) to the far north of the county.

I used to live there as well, probably a 10 minute bike ride from the schools mentioned in the link.

This is a physically beautiful area, with great weather.

County residents are among the most affluent and liberal in the country.

There are slightly under 25,000 people total in Sausalito, Marin City, and Mill Valley.

Marin City represents a bit over 10% of that population.

There is a library in Marin City.

I used to drive my little relatives to other libraries, etc., but bicycling in that area is a big thing. I don't know what the regulations are re kids being on their own riding bikes (re age), but if allowed, kids could ride their bikes to other (bigger) libraries. Those communities are, in an overall sense, very safe.

The kids in Marin City feed into, for Grades 9-12, Tamalpais High School in Mill Valley, and one of the reasons families decide settle in Mill Valley is because of the schools/the school environment.

I remember going to some sort of fair/competition at Tam High in the late 2000s where the students had submitted and were showcasing various projects. I remember having conversations with three different black girls who had already gained acceptance to (and scholarships from) the universities they wanted to attend. Very sharp girls.

All of the Marin City kids that I've had any contact with were all 9th Grade or above, so they were past the point of being a part of what was described in the OP's link.

I looked the last report card for Tam High, which was for 2017. 100% of white kids graduated, 88% of black kids, and 82% of hispanic kids.

Any conversation with Ms. Green (mentioned in the OP's link) would probably be an interesting one.

ETA: Some of Green's comments leave me SMH. Marin City used to be...in the 70's...75% black. It's now a slight plurality white. Her social perception seems stuck in the 70s, rather than being able to, lets say, see a snapshot from each decade.

Last edited by RMESMH; 08-11-2019 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-11-2019, 07:01 PM

1,670 posts, read 356,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
One school is the public school. The other is a charter school.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:02 PM

3,470 posts, read 1,684,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
Here's an underperforming school for ya....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYFXZOKgbCA
Those kids are being lectured to and many of them probably raise themselves, even if they are doing it wrong. There are more serious problems than a few kids chatting away. Kids have to be taught to be quiet when there is a speaker.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:30 PM

12,782 posts, read 3,455,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
There are 15,746 school districts in the United States.

In every single school district, Blacks perform at the bottom - every single one. They don't outperform Hispanics, even in areas where there are large numbers of recent immigrants and ESL learners.

What is the more likely explanation for this? That Blacks, all across the country, are oppressed and/or have a poor culture? Or that different people are actually different and have varying intellectual capabilities?

So many people want to say that it's an issue of values. How can it be possible that there are no school districts in the country where Blacks have values on par with any one else? Why is it that even in areas of where Blacks have more wealth than the national average that they still rank at the bottom in academics?
Perhaps district wide, but in my longer post on this thread I posted the latest graduation rate for the high school that the kids in the OP's link will eventually attend. The black graduation rate....88%. The hispanic graduation rate.....82%.

Old 08-11-2019, 08:20 PM

7,273 posts, read 7,908,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's not a fact, more like a false and racist allegation.
The fact is that there is an allegation, which is what the poster stated. I try to be sparing in my critique of other people’s reading comprehension, but this thread seems to be an appropriate place for it.

Whether that allegation is true is another question, and can be argued ad nauseum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or