U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2019, 08:22 PM

5,454 posts, read 1,080,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
There are 15,746 school districts in the United States.

In every single school district, Blacks perform at the bottom - every single one. They don't outperform Hispanics, even in areas where there are large numbers of recent immigrants and ESL learners.

What is the more likely explanation for this? That Blacks, all across the country, are oppressed and/or have a poor culture? Or that different people are actually different and have varying intellectual capabilities?

So many people want to say that it's an issue of values. How can it be possible that there are no school districts in the country where Blacks have values on par with any one else? Why is it that even in areas of where Blacks have more wealth than the national average that they still rank at the bottom in academics?
Could you please cite me study links that says that Blacks perform at the bottom of all those 15,746 school districts in this country? I would think there would be some where they perform at the middle to perhaps top. With that point, I am merely assuming thus I have not way to back it up. Yes, I know what they say about the word "assume".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 08:32 PM

11,081 posts, read 4,580,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
People who treat all Asians as being the same have no business even discussing the issue.
OK, but who here thinks all Asians are the same?
Quote:
When people talk about "Asian", they tend to talk about 25% of the population.
If we are talking about the performance of Asian students as a group, that means the average of all Asian-identified students -- 100% of them.
Quote:
Afghanistan is Asia. Iraq is Asia. Yemen is Asia. Kazakhstan is Asia. Mongolia is Asia.
True, of course, but you understand that we aren't talking about "Asian" in the strict geographical sense, don't you?

Old 08-11-2019, 08:43 PM

1,670 posts, read 357,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
Could you please cite me study links that says that Blacks perform at the bottom of all those 15,746 school districts in this country? I would think there would be some where they perform at the middle to perhaps top. With that point, I am merely assuming thus I have not way to back it up. Yes, I know what they say about the word "assume".
Dept of Education has lots of charts.

And it pretty much all falls into the same pattern
Asians, Whites, Hispanics, Blacks

That is for Math and Reading

Old 08-11-2019, 08:50 PM

13,694 posts, read 4,145,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
The fact is that there is an allegation, which is what the poster stated. I try to be sparing in my critique of other people’s reading comprehension, but this thread seems to be an appropriate place for it.

Whether that allegation is true is another question, and can be argued ad nauseum.
OK I overlooked poster typed "allegedly" but the poster did comment further as if it were true.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:02 PM

27,768 posts, read 16,086,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That's not a fact, more like a false and racist allegation.
That is what was stated in the article though.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:35 PM

34,006 posts, read 14,312,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
You got me on that one. On a mass scale, I'm not sure it's even possible to do so. I had good parents, good role models who worked hard, put some thought into life, and carved out a solidly middle class life for our family. We had all we needed, and some of what we wanted. A good balance. I have no idea how to be a role model to someone I don't spend time with and don't live with and have any influence over.

I guess it comes down to you own values and how you implement them. Over the years we've had two neighbor kids (boys in our case) that I/we kind of mentored. They were both friends of our daughters, and came from bad situations. I remember helping them both from time to time with school projects and even fixing cars etc... I've received fathers day best wishes from each of them from time to time. I like to think I helped them out a bit in life, and I think to some degree I have. But...on a large scale, I don't think this is possible without individual personalized effort. No government agency (throwing money at a problem) or policy is going to change a dysfunctional family that doesn't value education, hard work, and have a plan for a successful life, into a functional one that does value those things and plans for the future....and without those things, you have little chance of much success in life. It all starts at home!

I waited to get married until I was 25, in large part because I wanted to be through with my college education and established in a family wage job. I got married, and my wife and I waited 4 years to have our first child because we thought it best to establish our married relationship first, and to be able to afford our own home to raise out child in.

If you think ahead and plot a plan that makes sense, you can do well in life if you put effort and planning into it. if you stumble through life without a plan in place, have a child at 17, don't get an education in part because now you have kid(s) to provide for, drive up your credit card debt, make payments on a fancy car with to little income, and make other poor choices....guess what? You'll end up with a very hard life, that is in at least a large part due to your own poor choices. I am not responsible for YOUR poor choices. I cannot make YOUR choices for you.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Single parent with a good possibility that her spouse is incarcerated along with other family members, not really a revelation. These children are destined for failure and its not just about funding but the fact that these districts have less funding sure doesn't help. When people say we need to change the culture they aren't addressing large part of the problem which is teen pregnancy.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:40 PM

34,006 posts, read 14,312,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
There are 15,746 school districts in the United States.

In every single school district, Blacks perform at the bottom - every single one. They don't outperform Hispanics, even in areas where there are large numbers of recent immigrants and ESL learners.

What is the more likely explanation for this? That Blacks, all across the country, are oppressed and/or have a poor culture? Or that different people are actually different and have varying intellectual capabilities?

So many people want to say that it's an issue of values. How can it be possible that there are no school districts in the country where Blacks have values on par with any one else? Why is it that even in areas of where Blacks have more wealth than the national average that they still rank at the bottom in academics?
Total BS, bolded.

Yes many minority districts but it has nothing to do with intellectual ability, many factors.
I noticed you didn't post any link so I'm assuming this is just opinion.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:59 PM

5,217 posts, read 2,674,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
I am Hispanic. The number one accusation I heard while going through high school was that I was trying to be White. I simply took classes that those particular Hispanics did not take, like French, Calculus, Chem 1 and 2, Physics 1 and 2.
Mind giving us an insight into the Hispanic subculture? I am assuming you are aware that you are more of an exception than the rule. Hispanics on average underperform in school almost as much as blacks. I am convinced it has something to do with the cultural attitude toward education.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:27 PM

2,933 posts, read 1,695,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Total BS, bolded.

Yes many minority districts but it has nothing to do with intellectual ability, many factors.
It's not just my opinion. Find me just one school district in the USA where Blacks don't score at the bottom. Find just one. Should be easy to do if I'm wrong.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:58 AM

11,081 posts, read 4,580,001 times
Success in intellectual activities...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Total BS, bolded.

Talk about BS...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or