Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 02:43 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
I'm trying to turn them into taxpayers. That's not likely to happen without an education.
They are getting an education. My point is you can't make someone else perform, and its a waste of effort and resources trying to, and it's wrong to blame others and burden them.

I want my efforts and resources to go to my children, lacking them, to my closest in relation, and not to other people who are a lost cause and don't even like me. I'm not going to neglect myself and my own just so the others will maybe some day theoretically pay more taxes, that won't even go to my benefit.

In short, it's all just one big scapegoat and imposition game liberals continue to play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 02:43 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So how does one change the home culture of a poor family with a single uneducated parent from a high crime neigborhood, easier said than done.
Probably too late to save the Parent but they can save the kid from turning out just like them.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:46 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,433 times
You simply can't force education on people who don't value education. Throwing money at the problem is an approach that doesn't address the root cause, it's just a feel-good solution that wastes money.

If a kid wants to learn something, they devote time and energy to it.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:54 PM

43,056 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Fortunately, there are a good number of kids in this situation who DO care. I often ask the high achievers how old they were when they decided to excel at school. Most say sixth grade. Sometimes the self-raised children do the best of all. I believe that it's because they know that no one has their back and if they want to make it, they have to do it alone. Those are the kids that motivate me to work so hard.
Not enough though to turn the schools around.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:29 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not enough though to turn the schools around.
You're right. In order to turn the schools around, we would have to solve the intractable problems of poverty and crime.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:17 PM

33,322 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
There's got to be something about those school buildings, something in the bricks and mortar, or the dirt they sit on, that makes them underperform. A team of technical experts should be assembled to investigate...

Old 08-11-2019, 04:21 PM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
You simply can't force education on people who don't value education. Throwing money at the problem is an approach that doesn't address the root cause, it's just a feel-good solution that wastes money.

If a kid wants to learn something, they devote time and energy to it.
How do you suggest kids be taught to value education? It's easy to just write them off. What if we decided to spend the 10K a year to school people rather that the 30K it cost to jail them?

Old 08-11-2019, 04:25 PM

3,604 posts, read 1,655,075 times
Much more challenging for the poor to get a great education, however is happening now. Educational achievement gap getting smaller between hard working blacks and hispanics compared to whites. Overall as a group though, Asians will always be at the top and it is fully deserved.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:40 PM

45,332 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
How do you suggest kids be taught to value education? It's easy to just write them off. What if we decided to spend the 10K a year to school people rather that the 30K it cost to jail them?
Why do you want to cut funding to schools?

It's closer to $50K/year for incarceration.

Old 08-11-2019, 06:14 PM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I don't agree with this. I've taken an iq test before. I don't remember exactly what I got. I just remember being slightly below average. Trust me, I am anything but triple digit IQ.

My oldest neice is now in med school. She took the ACT three times and never scored higher than mid to high 20s. That is actually considered low by any standard in higher education.

Look, I'm not saying IQ doesn't matter. I'm saying there is nothing special about my family genes. It is the culture of valuing education and respect for elders and teachers that have given our family much success in life.

And I really hate to point this out. But back in school it was always the black and Hispanic students that were disruptive and disrespectful to teachers. There is something in their subculture that make them act like that.
I am Hispanic. The number one accusation I heard while going through high school was that I was trying to be White. I simply took classes that those particular Hispanics did not take, like French, Calculus, Chem 1 and 2, Physics 1 and 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies