Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2019, 09:31 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,314,711 times

Advertisements

Here's yet another story about false claims of racial victimhood, saying that black and hispanic students have been "corralled" into "underperforming schools." But how is that logically possible? Isn't it the students themselves who perform? Isn't that like saying that players for the Pittsburgh Pirates have been "corralled" into an underperforming baseball team?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...o-14293740.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2019, 09:38 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times
There's got to be something about those school buildings, something in the bricks and mortar, or the dirt they sit on, that makes them underperform. A team of technical experts should be assembled to investigate...

Old 08-10-2019, 09:57 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,936,051 times
If you had bothered to read your own link, you would know that a school in a largely minority neighborhood was deprived of funding that was provided to other mostly white schools in the same district. The students were not so much "under-performing" as were the administrators of the school district who deliberately tried to save money by throwing low income students under the bus.

For example, even the hardest working kids are going to be at a disadvantage if they attend a school with no library or no computers. If you gave the Pittsburg Pirates bats and balls that came from the discard pile at the local thrift shop while the opposing team had top of the line sporting equipment, the Pirates would "under perform" too.

Why are you okay with minority students receiving a substandard education? The dog whistle here is so loud that it hurts my ears.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
If you had bothered to read your own link, you would know that a school in a largely minority neighborhood was deprived of funding that was provided to other mostly white schools in the same district. The students were not so much "under-performing" as were the administrators of the school district who deliberately tried to save money by throwing low income students under the bus.

For example, even the hardest working kids are going to be at a disadvantage if they attend a school with no library or no computers. If you gave the Pittsburg Pirates bats and balls that came from the discard pile at the local thrift shop while the opposing team had top of the line sporting equipment, the Pirates would "under perform" too.

Why are you okay with minority students receiving a substandard education? The dog whistle here is so loud that it hurts my ears.
Yes I read the article, and it doesn't say any of the things that you mention. Could you point out where libraries and computers are mentioned in the article? The only thing that they do mention is the absence of a "credentialed math teacher," without any explanation of what that is or why the school didn't have one.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post

Yes I read the article, and it doesn't say any of the things that you mention. Could you point out where libraries and computers are mentioned in the article? The only thing that they do mention is the absence of a "credentialed math teacher," without any explanation of what that is or why the school didn't have one.

Please comment on the story that I linked to, instead of making up your own.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:18 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
A school’s performance is a reflection of student performance.

Schools with higher enrollment of Asian students tend to out perform other schools. Their performance compensates for the masses with mediocre performance.

Some cultures have historically placed a high value on education.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:27 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Here's yet another story about false claims of racial victimhood, saying that black and hispanic students have been "corralled" into "underperforming schools." But how is that logically possible? Isn't it the students themselves who perform? Isn't that like saying that players for the Pittsburgh Pirates have been "corralled" into an underperforming baseball team?

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...o-14293740.php
Paywall prevents me from reading beyond a few sentences.

This is a teeny- tiny school district with only 19 full time teachers.

Old 08-10-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Paywall prevents me from reading beyond a few sentences.

This is a teeny- tiny school district with only 19 full time teachers.
Hmmm, I wonder why I'm able to see it. Anyway, here's the part where they make their argument for racial oppression. It's weak sauce, at best.

"Investigators with the attorney general’s office found that the district had intentionally created Bayside MLK Jr. Academy in 2013 as a racially and ethnically segregated school. Then, the district “cut critical classroom programming” at Bayside while providing stable funding for Willow Creek, according to the state attorney general’s office.

Over the past six years, Bayside has consistently been understaffed, especially compared with its wealthier counterpart. The one guidance counselor at Bayside was part-time, and the counselor at Willow Creek was full-time. Bayside didn’t have a credentialed math teacher for three years."

Old 08-10-2019, 11:01 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Hmmm, I wonder why I'm able to see it. Anyway, here's the part where they make their argument for racial oppression. It's weak sauce, at best.

"Investigators with the attorney general’s office found that the district had intentionally created Bayside MLK Jr. Academy in 2013 as a racially and ethnically segregated school. Then, the district “cut critical classroom programming” at Bayside while providing stable funding for Willow Creek, according to the state attorney general’s office.

Over the past six years, Bayside has consistently been understaffed, especially compared with its wealthier counterpart. The one guidance counselor at Bayside was part-time, and the counselor at Willow Creek was full-time. Bayside didn’t have a credentialed math teacher for three years."
Another part that has a race card angle: "Particularly alarming were disciplinary reports from the school district: Black students were suspended for 66 times as many days as white students — the largest such disparity in the state, Becerra said."

Old 08-10-2019, 11:16 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,657,855 times
"Corralled" as in segregation due to poverty. Don't worry though...hard working blacks and Hispanics closing the education gap to whites that will never reach the educational levels of Asians as a group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies