Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 03:57 PM

4,793 posts, read 2,782,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirmione904 View Post
I have seen many Americans living overseas who don’t speak local language especially in Asia. A guy I met in South Korea was married to a Korean woman but could not talk to taxi driver in Korean at all, even “go right, left, straight” after living there for 7 years. I wonder if the people complaining about immigrants not speaking English could learn/speak foreign language once they had to live overseas.
Yep, Asian languages are difficult for non-Asians to learn. & the older you are when you start, the more difficult it generally is to learn a new language.

Is that enough reason not to @ least make the effort to learn the basics?

Old 08-28-2019, 04:15 PM

4,793 posts, read 2,782,538 times
Default This too, shall pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
The world hasn't changed. We have intentional open borders and mass immigration policy. The policy could and should be changed. Americans and their progeny are being dispossessed and replaced in their homeland. Hearing loud, unpleasant foreign languages is just one symptom of open borders.
No empire lasts forever. It's in the nature of empires.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:54 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,981,218 times
Eighteen pages full of two posters upset about other people speaking Spanish. Hilarious. I'd hate to be so triggered by something so minor, wow. Suenan como niños frágiles...

Old 08-28-2019, 05:35 PM

28,355 posts, read 16,311,616 times
Quote:
I'd estimate over 90% of the Hispanics in this country are of illegal origin (illegal or a product of an illegal parent). At least 10 times as many come illegally than legally. If not for illegal immigration the population would most likely be less than a 10th of what it is.
That "estimate" is based on.........?

Old 08-28-2019, 05:49 PM

62,712 posts, read 28,915,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
No, Spanish was here in the Americas in 1492 CE. So Spanish language can claim precedence, @ least in the European languages that were planted in the New World. Does speaking Spanish makes you appear less American? Only if you take American in the narrowest sense, to mean only the United States. That's fairly recent usage, by the way. & I doubt that our Canadian & Mexican neighbors much appreciate the verbal annexation involved.

& the reason the Airman is in the US Air Force is that the US entered the Spanish American War in 1898, & took Puerto Rico as war booty. & in 1917, we granted Puerto Ricans US citizenship - just in time to join up for the US entry into WWI, to be sure. But we haven't revoked that citizenship, & I don't see any signs that we ever will.
Well the Amerindians were here first so I guess we should all be speaking their languages? None of what you stated about makes any difference. Our nation adopted English as our national de facto language and our Constitution and all federal documents are all in English. English is the mostly widely spoken language in our country also.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Eighteen pages full of two posters upset about other people speaking Spanish. Hilarious. I'd hate to be so triggered by something so minor, wow. Suenan como niños frágiles...
I'm triggered hearing Spanish because it reminds me of the illegal invasion from south of our border. I guess that makes no sense to those who are embracing this invasion though or don't live in Calif. that has the largest number of illegal aliens in this country.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:00 PM

Quote:
That's part of the price you pay for being part of a world power since 1918 CE, & then with a vengeance since 1945. We exported products, ideas, & capital. We imported students, refugees, people who wanted liberty, or to work. Now those people & their descendants are in the majority or nearly so in some parts of the US - typically urban areas. Rome & UK & other power centers went through a similar process.

It's too late to wind back the clock, although the margin in influence between the US & the rest of the World is narrowing.
Legal immigrants in diversified and reasonable numbers is ok. The opposite is not nor is illegal immigration in massive numbers. No we can't turn back the the clock but moving forward we can put and end to illegal immigration as we know it and make our legal immigrant quotas lower and more diversified and that will stop the unnatural and unlawful transformation of our country. There are other things we can do also like ending this fiasco of deeming by PC policy only those born from illegal aliens as birthright citizens.

Old 08-28-2019, 06:26 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,838,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I'm triggered hearing Spanish because it reminds me of the illegal invasion from south of our border. I guess that makes no sense to those who are embracing this invasion though or don't live in Calif. that has the largest number of illegal aliens in this country.
Exactly that, the invasion ,is "triggering" and it doesn't help they are speaking a foreign language so loudly and unpleasantly either. It doesn't help they tend to be aesthetically unpleasant and act low class either.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:33 PM

18,073 posts, read 18,744,646 times
Quote:
No, Spanish was here in the Americas in 1492 CE. So Spanish language can claim precedence, @ least in the European languages that were planted in the New World. Does speaking Spanish makes you appear less American? Only if you take American in the narrowest sense, to mean only the United States. That's fairly recent usage, by the way. & I doubt that our Canadian & Mexican neighbors much appreciate the verbal annexation involved.

& the reason the Airman is in the US Air Force is that the US entered the Spanish American War in 1898, & took Puerto Rico as war booty. & in 1917, we granted Puerto Ricans US citizenship - just in time to join up for the US entry into WWI, to be sure. But we haven't revoked that citizenship, & I don't see any signs that we ever will.
No one from Mexico nor Canada ever refers to themselves as an American, nor anyone in the world refers to anyone as an American unless speaking about someone from the US.

"never to acknowledge the independence of the Americans, and to punish their contumacy by the indefinite prolongation of a war which promised to be eternal."

King George III

The term "American" for citizens of the US is not a recent thing at all.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:08 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,311,219 times
Quote:
Exactly that, the invasion ,is "triggering" and it doesn't help they are speaking a foreign language so loudly and unpleasantly either. It doesn't help they tend to be aesthetically unpleasant and act low class either.
Naw. Folks have been speaking Spanish on this continent well before your ancestors left their ****hole countries because they couldn't make it there.

Again, go jump in a lago (lake) and keep getting meltdowns because people exercise their free choice to speak to their families and friends in the language they choose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies