U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-28-2019, 07:33 PM
 
15,977 posts, read 13,795,572 times
Reputation: 22085

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
No, Spanish was here in the Americas in 1492 CE. So Spanish language can claim precedence, @ least in the European languages that were planted in the New World. Does speaking Spanish makes you appear less American? Only if you take American in the narrowest sense, to mean only the United States. That's fairly recent usage, by the way. & I doubt that our Canadian & Mexican neighbors much appreciate the verbal annexation involved.

& the reason the Airman is in the US Air Force is that the US entered the Spanish American War in 1898, & took Puerto Rico as war booty. & in 1917, we granted Puerto Ricans US citizenship - just in time to join up for the US entry into WWI, to be sure. But we haven't revoked that citizenship, & I don't see any signs that we ever will.
No one from Mexico nor Canada ever refers to themselves as an American, nor anyone in the world refers to anyone as an American unless speaking about someone from the US.

"never to acknowledge the independence of the Americans, and to punish their contumacy by the indefinite prolongation of a war which promised to be eternal."

King George III

The term "American" for citizens of the US is not a recent thing at all.

 
Old 08-28-2019, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
10,212 posts, read 6,758,695 times
Reputation: 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Exactly that, the invasion ,is "triggering" and it doesn't help they are speaking a foreign language so loudly and unpleasantly either. It doesn't help they tend to be aesthetically unpleasant and act low class either.
Naw. Folks have been speaking Spanish on this continent well before your ancestors left their ****hole countries because they couldn't make it there.

Again, go jump in a lago (lake) and keep getting meltdowns because people exercise their free choice to speak to their families and friends in the language they choose.
 
Old 08-28-2019, 08:34 PM
 
Location: New Mexico
3,941 posts, read 1,704,265 times
Reputation: 3673
Default Precise language is preferable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No one from Mexico nor Canada ever refers to themselves as an American, nor anyone in the world refers to anyone as an American unless speaking about someone from the US.

"never to acknowledge the independence of the Americans, and to punish their contumacy by the indefinite prolongation of a war which promised to be eternal."

King George III

The term "American" for citizens of the US is not a recent thing at all.
Yah. If George III was still talking about the Revolutionary War, then the US didn't quite yet exist - that was the point of the war, after all.

& our neighbors north & south seem to disagree with America as solely another name for the US:

"Cultural views[edit]

"Spain and Hispanic America[edit]

"The use of American as a national demonym for U.S. nationals is challenged, primarily by Hispanic Americans.[2] Spanish speakers in Spain and Latin America use the term estadounidense to refer to people and things from the United States (from Estados Unidos), while americano refers to the continents as a whole.[14][48] The term gringo is also accepted in many parts of Latin America to refer to a person or something from the United States,[49] however this term may be ambiguous in certain parts. Up to and including the 1992 edition, the Diccionario de la lengua española, published by the Real Academia Española, did not include the United States definition in the entry for americano; this was added in the 2001 edition.[14][g][50] The Real Academia Española advised against using americanos exclusively for U.S. nationals:[17][51]

"[Translated] It is common, and thus acceptable, to use norteamericano as a synonym of estadounidense, even though strictly speaking, the term norteamericano can equally be used to refer to the inhabitants of any country in North America, it normally applies to the inhabitants of the United States. But americano should not be used to refer exclusively to the inhabitants of the United States, an abusive usage which can be explained by the fact that in the United States, they frequently abbreviate the name of the country to "America" (in English, with no accent).[g]

"Canada[edit]

"Modern Canadians typically refer to people from the United States as Americans, though they seldom refer to the United States as America; they use the terms the United States, the U.S., or (informally) the States instead.[52] Canadians rarely apply the term American to themselves – some Canadians resent either being referred to as Americans because of mistaken assumptions that they are U.S. citizens or others' inability, particularly of those overseas, to distinguish Canadian from American accents.[52] Some Canadians have protested the use of American as a national demonym.[53] People of U.S. ethnic origin in Canada are categorized as "Other North American origins" by Statistics Canada for purposes of census counts.[54]"

(My emphasis - more @ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...-rae-gringo-55)

There may be no end to the question.
 
Old 08-28-2019, 09:51 PM
 
13,279 posts, read 4,065,412 times
Reputation: 3964
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Naw. Folks have been speaking Spanish on this continent well before your ancestors left their ****hole countries because they couldn't make it there.

Again, go jump in a lago (lake) and keep getting meltdowns because people exercise their free choice to speak to their families and friends in the language they choose.
Make up outlandish insults all you want but Spanish speaking illegals and other foreigners need to go back home. America has an English speaking heritage.
 
Old 08-28-2019, 10:08 PM
 
Location: los angeles county
1,232 posts, read 1,283,019 times
Reputation: 1269
hahaha mtl1

what language DOESN'T bother you?

Do rowdy american frat boys partying and hollering loudly in english bother you?

You're clearly very xenophobic and bigoted. Plenty of people are waiting for your kind to age and die off.
We don't need this kind of intolerance.
 
Old 08-28-2019, 10:13 PM
 
13,279 posts, read 4,065,412 times
Reputation: 3964
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
hahaha mtl1

what language DOESN'T bother you?

Do rowdy american frat boys partying and hollering loudly in english bother you?

You're clearly very xenophobic and bigoted. Plenty of people are waiting for your kind to age and die off.
We don't need this kind of intolerance
.
Yeah you're right we don't need that kind of intolerance of wishing for the die off of white, English speaking Americans.
 
Old 08-28-2019, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
10,212 posts, read 6,758,695 times
Reputation: 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Make up outlandish insults all you want but Spanish speaking illegals and other foreigners need to go back home. America has an English speaking heritage.
Nope. Many languages have been and still are spoken in America from the beginning. You're just being intolerant, ethnocentric and xenophobic.

I'd suggest you move to a remote location in the middle of Wyoming or the Dakotas if it bothers you. The rest of us will enjoy life as it is.
 
Old 08-28-2019, 11:19 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
10,212 posts, read 6,758,695 times
Reputation: 6492
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah you're right we don't need that kind of intolerance of wishing for the die off of white, English speaking Americans.
Actually, there are many white English speaking Americans who also speak other languages, or enjoy the multicultural aspect of America. It must be miserable to be you if you're so triggered. Are you wallowing in your snowflake status, or in Spanish, copo de nieve?
 
Old 08-29-2019, 02:59 PM
 
Location: los angeles county
1,232 posts, read 1,283,019 times
Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Yeah you're right we don't need that kind of intolerance of wishing for the die off of white, English speaking Americans.
We're all waiting to die. It's not a wish. It's inevitable. But if you can take your bigotry to the grave, it would be a huge benefit for mankind.



Don't forget, your people weren't welcome here. The native americans and mexicans had this country first, speaking all their different languages.

If they weren't overpowered by white barbarians who disrespected their sovereignty, you'd be speaking some form of native american language or even spanish.

You've probably never traveled outside of the US in your lifetime, but if you visited a foreign country, I would hope you learn their language well, because speaking english over there is disrespectful the same way speaking spanish in the usa is.



Mexico owned new mexico, utah, nevada, az, ca, tx, co, before americans stole them in a ripoff settlement.

What goes around comes around. Whites invaded america and stole everything from the previous occupants.

Now foreigners are doing the same in return. haha!

Survival of the fittest, bro.

Feeling pressure?


I'm not hispanic or spanish, but I don't let bigotry weigh me down. Like they say, it's a massive burden to harbor so much hate against people solely because they have a different skin color or speak more languages than you.

Last edited by oh come on!; 08-29-2019 at 03:33 PM..
 
Old 08-29-2019, 05:50 PM
 
37,770 posts, read 16,702,590 times
Reputation: 10235
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
We're all waiting to die. It's not a wish. It's inevitable. But if you can take your bigotry to the grave, it would be a huge benefit for mankind.



Don't forget, your people weren't welcome here. The native americans and mexicans had this country first, speaking all their different languages.

If they weren't overpowered by white barbarians who disrespected their sovereignty, you'd be speaking some form of native american language or even spanish.

You've probably never traveled outside of the US in your lifetime, but if you visited a foreign country, I would hope you learn their language well, because speaking english over there is disrespectful the same way speaking spanish in the usa is.



Mexico owned new mexico, utah, nevada, az, ca, tx, co, before americans stole them in a ripoff settlement.

What goes around comes around. Whites invaded america and stole everything from the previous occupants.

Now foreigners are doing the same in return. haha!

Survival of the fittest, bro.

Feeling pressure?


I'm not hispanic or spanish, but I don't let bigotry weigh me down. Like they say, it's a massive burden to harbor so much hate against people solely because they have a different skin color or speak more languages than you.
Boy, do you need a history lesson! There was no Mexico till the mid 1800's but the U.S. became a nation in 1776. So how did Mexicans exist before U.S. citizen did? Mexicans weren't here they were in Mexico when that nation formed well after the U.S. became a nation.

Doesn't matter if the Europeans were welcomed by the Amerindians they didn't own this land and there were no immigration laws back then. They migrated here just like the Europeans did they didn't just sprout up out of the ground you know. The U.S. made English our de facto national language. Don't like it, tough! The stronger always wins.

I don't hold a double standard. If I chose to move to another country I would not only learn their language but I would speak it out in public out of respect for the natives of that country.

No land was stolen. The Amerindians didn't own it and some of the territories that the Mexicans held were bought and paid for by the U.S. government!

Whites invaded? Racist much? Who cares what race or skin color that the Europeans had? Why is that even relevant? Are you unaware that the ancestors of the Mexicans were white Europeans also aka Spaniards? Ever heard of the Spanish Conquistadores? They conquered and invaded everything that wasn't nailed down! Doesn't that make their ancestors invaders also?

In today's world every country has immigration laws, governments and borders. So no one has the right to enter any country illegally today based on that concept. Mexicans and Central Americans will never take over our country. They not only don't have a right to but they'd have the fight of their lives on their hands and lose. Why are they so cowardly as to fight us by making babies rather than in a real war? Pretty cowardly if you ask me. What a legacy.....NOT!

Just because we are sick of illegal aliens and that's why we are hearing so much Spanish these days does not make us bigots either. You obviously are bigoted yourself based on your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top