U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-29-2019, 05:57 PM
 
791 posts, read 142,000 times
Reputation: 726

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup, another Facebook vent/rant.

People these days must be so grateful they have an instant potential audience of millions to vent out their every little slights.

Though I do feel the woman was completely out of line to tell the Airman that.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/0...m-distasteful/

I'm going to start listening to some Spanish radio and television, pick up some books. Just maybe I will then join the millions of people who speak more languages than just one, and then just maybe I will try other languages. No limits!

 
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM
 
1,545 posts, read 643,657 times
Reputation: 1421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Boy, do you need a history lesson! There was no Mexico till the mid 1800's but the U.S. became a nation in 1776.
It's strange when people try to give a history lesson without knowing history. You're the one who needs a history lesson. The U.S. didn't become a nation in 1776. They simply declared independence then. It wasn't until 1778 that Congress formally requested recognition as an independent nation and it wasn't until 1783 that the US was recognized by the external world as a nation (with the exception of the Netherlands, who recognized the US as a nation in 1782).
 
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM
 
Location: Continental Europe
931 posts, read 182,664 times
Reputation: 1470
What language the person in uniform speaks is none of her concern. What a busybody.
 
Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM
 
37,770 posts, read 16,702,590 times
Reputation: 10235
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
It's strange when people try to give a history lesson without knowing history. You're the one who needs a history lesson. The U.S. didn't become a nation in 1776. They simply declared independence then. It wasn't until 1778 that Congress formally requested recognition as an independent nation and it wasn't until 1783 that the US was recognized by the external world as a nation (with the exception of the Netherlands, who recognized the US as a nation in 1782).
Wrong! Now just who needs a history lesson?

https://www.reference.com/history/di...ae76551f62e216

And Mexico didn't become a country till 1821 so there were no Mexicans prior to that.

https://www.reference.com/geography/...29e4511efa41b5
 
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM
 
37,770 posts, read 16,702,590 times
Reputation: 10235
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
I'm going to start listening to some Spanish radio and television, pick up some books. Just maybe I will then join the millions of people who speak more languages than just one, and then just maybe I will try other languages. No limits!
Well, goody for you. If you are a citizen of the U.S. how about non-English speakers learn to speak English instead to communicate with you? Why would you not want foreigners to assimilate to our language instead?
 
Old Yesterday, 06:06 PM
 
50 posts, read 9,274 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Wrong! Now just who needs a history lesson?

https://www.reference.com/history/di...ae76551f62e216
Still you who needs the history lesson. You may want to spend more time in the Library of Congress. Official documents don't align with your reference.com source. You might want to go direct to the source for your education in history. 1777 is the earliest the US was recognized as a nation by the world.
 
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM
 
37,770 posts, read 16,702,590 times
Reputation: 10235
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBot View Post
Still you who needs the history lesson. You may want to spend more time in the Library of Congress. Official documents don't align with your reference.com source. You might want to go direct to the source for your education in history. 1777 is the earliest the US was recognized as a nation by the world.
I posted the links. Sorry you didn't like them. Besides, you're going to dicker over a year or to? The point was that there were no Mexicans or Mexico at that time as was claimed. Mexicans didn't exist until 1821 contrary to what another poster claimed.
 
Old Yesterday, 09:34 PM
 
15,977 posts, read 13,795,572 times
Reputation: 22080
Talk about ad hominem...

Playing semantics and harping on typos is hardly a good debate strategy, it is not a strategy at all actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top