U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 09:08 AM

10,160 posts, read 4,757,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
So you think that the majority of Americans are on Facebook and/or here on CD? Again, you might want to blame our education system for those who don't have good English skills. One of the reasons as I pointed out is the large number of non-English speaking students who have flooded our schools in the past couple of decades or so and require most of the attention of our teachers.
Then how do you account for the college teachers in their 50s and 60s who use poor English?

Old 08-11-2019, 09:10 AM

11,018 posts, read 10,674,896 times
Appropriate response: "Métete en tus asuntos." (mind your own business)

Old 08-11-2019, 09:11 AM

4,394 posts, read 1,650,689 times
Quote:
Native born English speakers who make up the majority in this country do not speak very poor English so who are you talking about? They learned English from their parents and are taught in English in our schools.
You mean the people using the word "like" a zillion times in each sentence? Or they can't even enunciate or speak in a, clear voice so you can understand them even if their English is fine?

Old 08-11-2019, 09:11 AM

37,771 posts, read 16,708,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Then how do you account for the college teachers in their 50s and 60s who use poor English?
I think it's an exaggeration. We all commit occasional spelling and grammatical errors.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:22 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,888,134 times
Quote:
I think it's an exaggeration. We all commit occasional spelling and grammatical errors.
Sigh. Due to privacy issues I’m not going to share any of the projects I have proofread. I wish I could, though, because some of them are hilariously bad.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:39 AM

11,018 posts, read 10,674,896 times
Quote:
Native born English speakers who make up the majority in this country do not speak very poor English so who are you talking about?
First of all let me state right up front that I screw the language up at times. I'm quite mistake-prone. I'm not claiming to be linguistically perfect and I do not live in a glass house. But...

YES, a good portion of the people I interact with or overhear each day speak English pretty poorly. I'm not talking about dialect--I'm talking about usage and word choice. And that is spoken language; if you want to talk about the written word, all I can say is oh my God... (much, much worse)

Old 08-11-2019, 09:44 AM

33,565 posts, read 20,410,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup, another Facebook vent/rant.

People these days must be so grateful they have an instant potential audience of millions to vent out their every little slights.

Though I do feel the woman was completely out of line to tell the Airman that.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/0...m-distasteful/
OPNAVINST 5354.1F Section 9 Foreign Language Part C (which was put out 25Jul07) states:
c. Commanders may issue an order that only English be
spoken in a work place when they have a legitimate, nondiscriminatory
reason for the rule (e.g., to ensure everyone on
the bridge understands the orders to the helm). It must be
clear that the purpose of such an order is to foster uniformity
of action and operations within a work place. A rule requiring
employees to speak only English at all times in the workplace is
a burdensome term and condition of employment; therefore,
personnel engaged in personal conversation off-duty should be
allowed to communicate in the language of their choice.

Commanders should also be cognizant that some on-duty operations
may require the use of other languages and should ensure that
English-only rules are not broader than they need to be (e.g.,
Bridge-to-Bridge radio and interactions with a ground crew).

The woman in uniform did nothing wrong. If I remember this correctly, and please correct me if I am wrong here, You can speak another language while in uniform, you just can't speak it while performing official business.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:57 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 28 days ago)

12,837 posts, read 6,607,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
OPNAVINST 5354.1F Section 9 Foreign Language Part C (which was put out 25Jul07) states:
c. Commanders may issue an order that only English be
spoken in a work place when they have a legitimate, nondiscriminatory
reason for the rule (e.g., to ensure everyone on
the bridge understands the orders to the helm). It must be
clear that the purpose of such an order is to foster uniformity
of action and operations within a work place. A rule requiring
employees to speak only English at all times in the workplace is
a burdensome term and condition of employment; therefore,
personnel engaged in personal conversation off-duty should be
allowed to communicate in the language of their choice.

Commanders should also be cognizant that some on-duty operations
may require the use of other languages and should ensure that
English-only rules are not broader than they need to be (e.g.,
Bridge-to-Bridge radio and interactions with a ground crew).

The woman in uniform did nothing wrong. If I remember this correctly, and please correct me if I am wrong here, You can speak another language while in uniform, you just can't speak it while performing official business.
To be clear, OPNAV is the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations so that instruction only applies to the Navy, though it wouldn't shock me if the other branches had a similar rule. In my experience English is preferred in the military workplace and is generally required when conducting official military business; there are exceptions of course. But this woman certainly broke no rule by speaking Spanish while in uniform. True you're not technically off duty ever if you're physically wearing the uniform, but that doesn't change things here as she was engaged in non military work outside of work.

Old 08-11-2019, 10:49 AM

33,565 posts, read 20,410,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
To be clear, OPNAV is the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations so that instruction only applies to the Navy, though it wouldn't shock me if the other branches had a similar rule. In my experience English is preferred in the military workplace and is generally required when conducting official military business; there are exceptions of course. But this woman certainly broke no rule by speaking Spanish while in uniform. True you're not technically off duty ever if you're physically wearing the uniform, but that doesn't change things here as she was engaged in non military work outside of work.
Yes

Oh, Thank you for pointing out the bold. I really appreciate it.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:26 AM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 28 days ago)

12,837 posts, read 6,607,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Yes

Oh, Thank you for pointing out the bold. I really appreciate it.
My pleasure! Tried to rep you, but I apparently have to spread the my reputations around before I can rep you again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or