Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 11:42 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
And if she was speaking to relatives from PR who don't speak English? My ex is Puerto Rican; a lot of his family on the island can only speak Spanish.

And please... I'm willing to bet you can't tell the difference between one dialect and another. One set of slang terms and another (I used to know quite a bit of Dominican and Puerto Rican slang). Or pronunciation/accent from one country to another.

And here's an FYI - people from Spain don't even all speak the same dialect. Spain actually has multiple official languages, Castilian Spanish is but one of them.
Why is it I can be in a market with 100s of Americans and the one mestizo there is yelling in unpleasantly spoken Spanish on their phone or to someone?

It's bad enough having to listen to foreign languages in public but the volume, cadence and dialect of latin American speakers is very off putting. They seem to make a point of making sure every American hears them speaking Spanish, as if to mark their new territory.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:15 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,114,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
Why is it I can be in a market with 100s of Americans and the one mestizo there is yelling in unpleasantly spoken Spanish on their phone or to someone?

It's bad enough having to listen to foreign languages in public but the volume, cadence and dialect of latin American speakers is very off putting. They seem to make a point of making sure every American hears them speaking Spanish, as if to mark their new territory.
Most Europeans would tell you that Americans are annoying because we speak too loud and too fast.

Old 08-11-2019, 01:20 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Most Europeans would tell you that Americans are annoying because we speak too loud and too fast.
That's an interesting statement . . .

Old 08-11-2019, 02:09 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,868,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Well if that's the case it doesn't bode well for latin Americans who are deafeningly louder and faster talking than my reference American English speakers.

I'm curious what Europeans say this about what Americans? "American" diversity and Hispanics vacationing and drinking in Europe or what?

All I know is English speaking Americans seem to speak at the same volume and pace or lower as those from the British Isle so I'm skeptical.

Old 08-11-2019, 02:34 PM

50,250 posts, read 47,011,154 times
Quote:
Well if that's the case it doesn't bode well for latin Americans who are deafeningly louder and faster talking than my reference American English speakers.

I'm curious what Europeans say this about what Americans? "American" diversity and Hispanics vacationing and drinking in Europe or what?

All I know is English speaking Americans seem to speak at the same volume and pace or lower as those from the British Isle so I'm skeptical.
The slang spoken around here would pop their heads it's so fast.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:50 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,619,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Yup, another Facebook vent/rant.

People these days must be so grateful they have an instant potential audience of millions to vent out their every little slights.

Though I do feel the woman was completely out of line to tell the Airman that.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2019/0...m-distasteful/
I wonder if that woman would have said anything to this Air woman if she was conducting her private conversation in French!
Probably not since their is now a culture of hate towards anything hispanic in America thanks to the dotard in office.

Old 08-11-2019, 03:57 PM

20,099 posts, read 9,006,146 times
See something, say something! That doesn't just apply to crimes. Call people out. Post where they work on the Internet. The rules of appropriateness have changed since the last election. If you don't like someone, call them out.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:41 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,351,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Yep. Because one person said it, this little crybaby whines about it?

Hopefully this person will never see a battlefield. "I can't go out there and fight because they made a remark about me speaking spanish".
Oh nonsense. She just commented on it, and you just don't like what she has to say.

This has nothing - nada - to do with the airman's military readiness and ability to do her job. Heck, her linguistic skills would probably serve her in billets where she may have, say, do military intelligence on Latin American countries.

Kindly check your ethnocentrism at the door, please.

Old 08-11-2019, 04:49 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,706,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
I wonder if that woman would have said anything to this Air woman if she was conducting her private conversation in French!
Probably not since their is now a culture of hate towards anything hispanic in America thanks to the dotard in office.
The TDS is strong with you. Most people don’t have an issue with Hispanics. They have an issue with people who cross the border illegally, and not all of those people are Hispanic.

Old 08-11-2019, 05:10 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
Quote:
I agree with the woman who said it was distasteful. Spanish speakers especially latin American in public speak a very grating dialect of Spanish very loudly and I find it repulsive and distasteful.
I love those little stars *+ but I detest control freaks that do not honor the freedom my Hubby served for !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.