U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

23,663 posts, read 12,485,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Nobody is going out of business. China needs us more than we need them.
Really -- then why can't we stop importing Chinese goods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM

52,295 posts, read 42,074,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Who are we at war with?? Is trade is a "war" to be won or lost? No, trade is not a war to be won or lost. Do you have a war with your supermarket when you give them money and, in exchange, they give you stuff? I doubt you'd call it that. So, when the US gives China money and we get stuff in return, why is that a "war?"
Currency manipulation, thefts of patents and IP, illegal trade barriers.

All items both mentioned and challenged by the Obama administration as well as others.

Your example is frankly horrible.

Old Yesterday, 04:04 PM

24,536 posts, read 12,118,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Really -- then why can't we stop importing Chinese goods?
Because idiots still buy their crap.

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

5,023 posts, read 5,094,456 times
Farmers got 15 billions give away from Trump on top of other subsidies. World is connected and it cannot subsist without American grains, if Chinese do not buy it, somebody else will.

Old Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 7 days ago)

12,128 posts, read 6,433,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Many rural folks do tend to vote against their best interests. But then they may think their best interest is keeping a president who is against abortion. After all, the article did say, "Rural voters tend to be more socially conservative and have long seen the Republican Party as a more comfortable home."
While true in many parts of the country, many rural voters in states like Iowa have long backed the Democrat Party; hence, between the 1992 and 2016 US presidential elections, the GOP nominee only won the state twice via Bush 43 and Trump. The same is true for many rural voters throughout the Midwest, to include Michigan and Wisconsin. This was often because of the GOP's stance on trade, which was anathema to these voters. As I mentioned before, the Democrat Party at least talked the talk on trade, even if they didn't walk the walk. But Donald Trump was a unique Republican nominee, who talked a talk similar to Democrats and is actually walking the walk.

As for people voting against their best interests, I'm always open to that argument. But I've rarely seen the argument supported in this specific context.

Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM

15,320 posts, read 13,453,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
As for people voting against their best interests, I'm always open to that argument. But I've rarely seen the argument supported in this specific context.
For a good example, most rural counties in Oklahoma voted strongly against legalizing medical marijuana. Legalizing it would bring needed new jobs in the area and reopen some of the shuttered stores. Urban voters overcame the rural vote and now from medical marijuana legalized rural towns are seeing new jobs and new stores without much trouble caused from the result. Who knows how many chronically ill rural people are finding medical marijuana is doing them good? Growing marijuana to supply dispensaries is a new source of agricultural income.

Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 7 days ago)

12,128 posts, read 6,433,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
For a good example, most rural counties in Oklahoma voted strongly against legalizing medical marijuana. Legalizing it would bring needed new jobs in the area and reopen some of the shuttered stores. Urban voters overcame the rural vote and now from medical marijuana legalized rural towns are seeing new jobs and new stores without much trouble caused from the result. Who knows how many chronically ill rural people are finding medical marijuana is doing them good? Growing marijuana to supply dispensaries is a new source of agricultural income.
Thanks. I'll say that there is nothing objective about "best interests" there, especially considering the officially government sanctioned studies on the harmful, long term health affects of marijuana. Perhaps those voters chose to protect short term employment gain over long term harmful health effects? Perhaps they feared medical marijuana today, full legalization tomorrow? I don't know, but I'm not willing to pass personal values judgments on this issue when there is certainly more than one way to look at things. Fundamentally, its not for me to tell these people what's in their best interests. I can argue for and against different policy positions (and note how they may benefit a community, while also taking into account the community's valid concerns), but that's different.

Old Yesterday, 05:46 PM

9,951 posts, read 4,689,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Farmers got 15 billions give away from Trump on top of other subsidies. World is connected and it cannot subsist without American grains, if Chinese do not buy it, somebody else will.
Some of our local small farmers are plowing under their soybeans. No one will buy them because there is no market for them now.

Old Yesterday, 05:49 PM

9,951 posts, read 4,689,694 times
Quote:
While true in many parts of the country, many rural voters in states like Iowa have long backed the Democrat Party; hence, between the 1992 and 2016 US presidential elections, the GOP nominee only won the state twice via Bush 43 and Trump. The same is true for many rural voters throughout the Midwest, to include Michigan and Wisconsin. This was often because of the GOP's stance on trade, which was anathema to these voters. As I mentioned before, the Democrat Party at least talked the talk on trade, even if they didn't walk the walk. But Donald Trump was a unique Republican nominee, who talked a talk similar to Democrats and is actually walking the walk.

Most of Missouri farmers vote Republican, the major cities vote Democrat. So far, the farmers out vote them.

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM

9,339 posts, read 2,862,333 times
Quote:
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/mee...nk-it-n1041166

There is a reason why farmers still support President Trump. Yes, there is temporary pain, but they respect a president who is actually fighting for them as opposed to all the others who merely paid them lip service.
Not all farmers still support him. Kinda hard to love somebody who makes you go bankrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or