U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:25 PM

5,023 posts, read 5,094,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Some of our local small farmers are plowing under their soybeans. No one will buy them because there is no market for them now.
Really? Maybe you misunderstood something. There is always a buyer for soybeans. It is not like Chinese, who cannot feed themselves, can order beans from Mars. They'll order from Brazil, they'll pay a premium for Brazil' beans and outpriced Brazil bean buyers will look to USA for their supplies. Besides Brazil' harvest cannot even cover China ' needs. Soybean prices are just a tad lower than they were in 2018.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:30 PM

9,951 posts, read 4,689,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Really? Maybe you misunderstood something. There is always a buyer for soybeans. It is not like Chinese, who cannot feed themselves, can order beans from Mars. They'll order from Brazil, they'll pay a premium for Brazil' beans and outpriced Brazil bean buyers will look to USA for their supplies. Besides Brazil' harvest cannot even cover China ' needs. Soybean prices are just a tad lower than they were in 2018.
I sit and eat breakfast with a bunch of farmers every morning, They say there is no market. I will take their word for it.

Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM

8,673 posts, read 8,578,150 times
Quote:
I sit and eat breakfast with a bunch of farmers every morning, They say there is no market. I will take their word for it.
show me one news article that someone is stupid enough to plow up their beans and I might believe you....

Old Yesterday, 07:12 PM

9,158 posts, read 2,808,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
show me one news article that someone is stupid enough to plow up their beans and I might believe you....
This is from November, but it does happen.

Harvesting in a trade war - U.S. crops rot as storage costs soar
Quote:
U.S. farmers finishing their harvests are facing a big problem - where to put the mountain of grain they cannot sell to Chinese buyers.

For Louisiana farmer Richard Fontenot and his neighbours, the solution was a costly one: Let the crops rot.

Fontenot plowed under 1,000 of his 1,700 soybean acres this fall, chopping plants into the dirt instead of harvesting more than $300,000 worth of beans.

Old Yesterday, 07:26 PM

9,951 posts, read 4,689,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
This is from November, but it does happen.

Harvesting in a trade war - U.S. crops rot as storage costs soar
The local grain elevators are full and are not buying. Costs too much to take them elsewhere.

Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 7 days ago)

12,128 posts, read 6,433,532 times
Quote:
Most of Missouri farmers vote Republican, the major cities vote Democrat. So far, the farmers out vote them.
True, Missouri fits the rule. I was talking about the traditional exceptions to the rule. Note, even in Iowa, Wisconsin, and Michigan, I'd wager that most rural folks (to include farmers) vote Republican. But enough of them traditionally also voted for Democrats, hence the GOP's poor showing in those states until Donald Trump.

Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM
Status: "Proud American, Always and Forever" (set 7 days ago)

12,128 posts, read 6,433,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Not all farmers still support him. Kinda hard to love somebody who makes you go bankrupt.
All farmers never supported him. But the majority of farmers still do, and the overwhelming majority either support or are neutral to the China fight if I recall correctly (a win win for the president).

Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM

11,454 posts, read 7,411,754 times
Rural America thought making a deal with the devil would make them great again.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

38,652 posts, read 15,156,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
"Fighting back", as in showing up to a gunfight with a slingshot. Starting a fight he can't win, and taking us all down with him. The Chinese are playing the long game and will win in the end, plus they won't forget this, as Trump most certainly will, if he hasn't already. Hard to say if we can ever recover lost markets.
Australian farmers are getting the Chinese high end soybean soy sauce market. They've been trying to break into it for years.

They plan to hang on to it. Trump's tariff war makes for an unstable market plus the relaxing of pesticide regulations means that Australian soybeans are more desirable for soy sauce manufacturers.

Brazil, Russia, etc. will do their best to hang on to their increased soybean sales.

Hard to imagine that situation will change any time soon.

Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

21,781 posts, read 14,489,101 times
Quote:
Some of our local small farmers are plowing under their soybeans. No one will buy them because there is no market for them now.
Farmers are already faced with oft times dire consequences, be it poor weather, low yields, low bushel prices, etc, but now they are faced with disappearing markets that was created by their own government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or