U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM

38,652 posts, read 15,156,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Farmers are already faced with oft times dire consequences, be it poor weather, low yields, low bushel prices, etc, but now they are faced with disappearing markets that was created by their own government.
It's a damn shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM

12,442 posts, read 12,639,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Farmers got 15 billions give away from Trump on top of other subsidies. World is connected and it cannot subsist without American grains, if Chinese do not buy it, somebody else will.
Some farmers got government handouts, but only the industrial midwest. If you raise almonds or hazelnuts, you are out of luck. If you export meat or poultry, you are out of luck. If you are a commodity trader or shipper, you are out of luck. Meanwhile, the high dollar is ruining our ethanol exports, which means domestic demand is dropping too.

Maybe you missed the news about the floods this spring, but millions of acres didn't get planted because they were under water, and millions more were planted late and my have a reduced yield. USDA is supposed to release their crop forecast tomorrow (Aug 12), and everybody is hoping for a crop failure to salvage commodity prices. If we have a normal harvest, there is no place for it to go.

At the moment, there is no world shortage of food. There was a bumper crop in the southern hemisphere, and Brazil will sell all the soybeans China wants, with plenty left over to keep Argentina supplied. Argentina is pressing corn oil and soy oil like crazy, and using the leftover meal to feed cattle and swine to export to China.

We are not the only player in the game. If there were crop failures in many areas, our production would be critical. Not this year.

Old Yesterday, 11:40 PM

30,609 posts, read 20,228,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
He could be right. If too many farmers can't pay off their loans, that is where a recession could start in a chain reaction. To put it simply, people can't pay me what I'm owed, so I can't pay people what I owe them.

Neat thing about farms is that you can grow soybeans one year and eggplant the next.

**** China!

The greatest favor we can do ourselves is to stop feeding that bear.

Old Today, 12:34 AM
Status: "This is the best of all possible plutocracies." (set 6 days ago)

18,569 posts, read 8,362,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Neat thing about farms is that you can grow soybeans one year and eggplant the next.

**** China!

The greatest favor we can do ourselves is to stop feeding that bear.
Weeeeellll, maybe. There's usually very good reasons why a particular area is dominated by a single or very few crops. But OK, let's say it's really true the guy who's been growing soybeans successfully for the past 20 years, can just up and decide to grow eggplants this year, and do it well enough to compete with the guys who have been successfully growing eggplants for the past 20 years. First he's going to have to convince his banker that it's a good idea, and that will be very hard going. Then he has to find a buyer that will buy those eggplants from him at a price that nets him a profit. Not that easy to find in soybean country. And the buyer will have to find the railroad cars that can carry those eggplants to their destinations, and those will be different cars than the cars that can carry soybeans.

People often think that the large-scale farming that is involved these discussions is like backyard gardening, just within larger enclosures.

It isn't.

Last edited by jacqueg; Today at 12:45 AM..

Old Today, 06:14 AM

8,673 posts, read 8,578,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
This is from November, but it does happen.

Harvesting in a trade war - U.S. crops rot as storage costs soar
Ok you got one... But it was a stunt to get attention ..........Why waste the fuel to plow it up, it wasn't ready to harvest and unless you are a crap Farmer, modern grain storage does not let crops rot.....

While I don't know about Louisiana farmers ( only been there once and I won't go back) I can assure BIG Farmers I know in Iowa and Minnesota aren't thinking about plowing up their beans....

Old Today, 06:21 AM

30,004 posts, read 15,657,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I cued up US Farm Report on the DVR to see what farmers think of China shutting down all US ag imports. It becomes obvious that we really are at war. "Trade War" is not just an euphemism.

According to the USFR panel of experts, it's going to bankrupt farmers under 40 that don't have a strong equity position in their farms. If you want to see where the next recession is going to start, it's right there in The Heartland, and China has planted the seed.

All the markets are nervous. This could seriously damage the US agricultural sector. When investors are nervous, they seek safe haven for their money, and that means the dollar, which is flying high. Farmers can't sell to the rest of the world because the dollar is so ridiculously high. Meanwhile, much of the impact of tariffs on Chinese imports is blunted by the strong dollar. Imports are cheap, and our balance of trade is getting worse.

BTW, the total embargo of US ag products is a psychological ploy. It's not like they were buying that much anyway. One of the first things they did was say, "*********," and take their business to Brazil and Argentina.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...S7RfoHFbG0WwAA
If losing a customer buying 3% of a commodity bankrupts you.....

Old Today, 06:35 AM

35,477 posts, read 19,467,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If losing a customer buying 3% of a commodity bankrupts you.....

tRump's GOP...

"Picking winners and losers."

Old Today, 09:12 AM

9,339 posts, read 2,862,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
All farmers never supported him. But the majority of farmers still do, and the overwhelming majority either support or are neutral to the China fight if I recall correctly (a win win for the president).
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/farme...b0820e0af74aef

Old Today, 10:57 AM

9,954 posts, read 4,689,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Ok you got one... But it was a stunt to get attention ..........Why waste the fuel to plow it up, it wasn't ready to harvest and unless you are a crap Farmer, modern grain storage does not let crops rot.....

While I don't know about Louisiana farmers ( only been there once and I won't go back) I can assure BIG Farmers I know in Iowa and Minnesota aren't thinking about plowing up their beans....
Grain storage elevators are full. Some places have gone to pouring it on the ground and covering it with tarps to try to salvage some of it. But even then, the higher moisture content means a far lower price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or