U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Should being an adult be considered a social privilege?
Yes 3 15.79%
No 16 84.21%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2019, 10:13 AM
 
Location: SGV
25,211 posts, read 9,830,063 times
Reputation: 9826

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Starting anything off with this absurdity negates all that follows as equally absurd.

You don't earn your rights, they are a condition of existence. Until you understand that, you understand nothing on this topic.
Article 8, Section 4, Paragraph 2 of the Social Contract says I cede my rights to the State at birth and then earn them back if I'm a good boy.

Keep up this behavior you're exhibiting here and you'll never get your rights back!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2019, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Out West
22,957 posts, read 16,996,188 times
Reputation: 26550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Even though you have earned more rights and privileges as an adult, I don't think being an adult really is a true social privilege. Is earned because not all adults automatically get those rights and privileges granted


For example

Does the person pay taxes? Does the person work? Does the person own a home?


Now from a cultural perspective and societal context, because that's what the thread asks moreso


Well yes and no, yes as an adult your insight is more likely to be taken seriously. As an adult your work is more likely to be appreciated. As an adult you're automatically assumed to be trusted 100%


But on the other hand adults have more social pressure to act as mature as possible, adults also have to compete with other adults for influence, adults experience raw and risk-oriented manners. Adults also have to deal with the dangers of protecting and serving the youth and the elderly of any society

Is a mixed bag, but I am still going with "no", because it's more proved rather than automatically earned
I'm a little confused here. Is this a thing? What the hell is "adult privilege"?

Insight from adults is usually taken more seriously for the simple fact that more often than not, they've learned things, sometimes the hard way, and that gives more weight than what someone thinks something should be.

As for work being more appreciated? I'm not so sure about that. We see news stories of young kids being "geniuses" and "entrepenuers" for taking on work, but we don't glorify in the news everyday Joe's who go to work and provide for themselves and their families.

I've never, not once in my life, from small child to right now, "assumed" adults were "to be trusted 100%". NEVER. I got in a lot of trouble for that when I was a kid. A few of my teachers that I loathed, and I always got in trouble for loathing, turned out to be not so great people after all. For me, it was a sense - a gut instinct about them - and I had zero respect for them. Imagine the gloating I did when I got out of the military, came home for a visit, one of my friends who became really good friends with my mom and was still in high school when I left for the military, proceeded to tell me, as we sat around the dinner table, that Mr. X, Mr. Y, and Mr. Z were all fired for (insert reason here that proved I was right that they were bad people). Oh, I gloated. Because I got into a lot of trouble during my high school years - a LOT for "disrespecting" them. Can't even tell you how many times I was grounded for it - and in the end, well lookee here. I never assume anyone is "to be 100% trusted" until I know them very, very, very well.

But again, I'm confused. Are the youth rising up and demanding that adults are somehow "privileged" and must pay for that privilege in some crazy way that gives the youth reparations somehow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 12:48 PM
 
3,333 posts, read 1,899,383 times
Reputation: 1861
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Even though you have earned more rights and privileges as an adult, I don't think being an adult really is a true social privilege. Is earned because not all adults automatically get those rights and privileges granted


For example

Does the person pay taxes? Does the person work? Does the person own a home?


Now from a cultural perspective and societal context, because that's what the thread asks moreso


Well yes and no, yes as an adult your insight is more likely to be taken seriously. As an adult your work is more likely to be appreciated. As an adult you're automatically assumed to be trusted 100%


But on the other hand adults have more social pressure to act as mature as possible, adults also have to compete with other adults for influence, adults experience raw and risk-oriented manners. Adults also have to deal with the dangers of protecting and serving the youth and the elderly of any society

Is a mixed bag, but I am still going with "no", because it's more proved rather than automatically earned

Being an adult isn't a privilege. It's a life sentence. There is nothing good about being an adult unless you have the means to make something big of yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, TX
2,675 posts, read 820,232 times
Reputation: 753
Man I wish contextual cues were universal, what happened when we used to think off each other's perspectives?

Whatever, but anyways here's the reason why I made this thread

Given that being an adult has always been associated with the honorary status of being contributory, innovative and protecting once again the elderly and children, now we can see that "youth" participation has risen in the last 3 decades, sure.


The reason also being some people actually do think being an adult is probably actually the most pumped up privilege out there. Because as an adult you have the right to influence your society moreso in any manner than an elder or a child.
And this is still true to this day

And then the reason why I posted this in politics is simply because the social construction of adulthood has always more of a legal and goverment-oriented philosophy.

There's still the whole arbitrary number fiasco, but back in the days before we even had big goverment, there was no arbitrary age number. In fact I would argue most people were already prepared by age 10 lol

And 18 has only been the arbitrary age anyways at least in the United States for over what, 3 decades?

But I always thought having "18" as the beginning age of adulthood always set a divide between younger and older teens causing less unification perhaps in social circles
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 01:40 PM
 
11,734 posts, read 2,898,404 times
Reputation: 5416
My university offers a class called Adulting 101. Funny how my classmates and I managed to get through life without the benefit of that class. I guess students back then were so much smarter and more independent than kids today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 04:51 PM
 
2,330 posts, read 675,386 times
Reputation: 1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post


The older I get the less of an adult I want to be.

So there's that to consider.

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.

--Germaine Greer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 06:00 PM
 
5,052 posts, read 993,946 times
Reputation: 2019
Yes, but such a privilege is tested by the adults who act like young kids and who are SJWS, snowflakes, or are easily triggered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 06:01 PM
 
4,855 posts, read 1,278,808 times
Reputation: 2267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Even though you have earned more rights and privileges as an adult, I don't think being an adult really is a true social privilege. Is earned because not all adults automatically get those rights and privileges granted


For example

Does the person pay taxes? Does the person work? Does the person own a home?


Now from a cultural perspective and societal context, because that's what the thread asks moreso


Well yes and no, yes as an adult your insight is more likely to be taken seriously. As an adult your work is more likely to be appreciated. As an adult you're automatically assumed to be trusted 100%


But on the other hand adults have more social pressure to act as mature as possible, adults also have to compete with other adults for influence, adults experience raw and risk-oriented manners. Adults also have to deal with the dangers of protecting and serving the youth and the elderly of any society

Is a mixed bag, but I am still going with "no", because it's more proved rather than automatically earned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 06:03 PM
 
4,855 posts, read 1,278,808 times
Reputation: 2267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
Being an adult isn't a privilege. It's a life sentence. There is nothing good about being an adult unless you have the means to make something big of yourself.
The alternative isn't a positive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 08:48 PM
 
Location: Round Rock, TX
2,675 posts, read 820,232 times
Reputation: 753
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
My university offers a class called Adulting 101. Funny how my classmates and I managed to get through life without the benefit of that class. I guess students back then were so much smarter and more independent than kids today.
Well wouldn't you say the rise of big goverment has created a culture of co dependency between minors and the servitude of others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top