U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should being an adult be considered a social privilege?
Yes 3 15.79%
No 16 84.21%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 08:51 AM

3,333 posts, read 1,899,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Because as an adult you have the right to influence your society moreso in any manner than an elder or a child.
I don't. The process of job searching is still screwed up. Pharmaceuticals still rule the world and can easily endanger someone's health. Basics like electricity still cost a lot of money. Capitalism in general is just not done correctly.

I guess certain people do but that would mean it didn't happen just because they were an adult, it happened because they got enough people to agree with them. Privilege comes with popular opinions (i.e. my stance on pharmaceuticals isn't popular) and resources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
The alternative isn't a positive.

Being a child? I guess in this day and age being a child is more difficult but it's really more that being a human is difficult these days because becoming an adult doesn't take those difficulties away or if it does it adds new difficulties that are just as distressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 09:01 AM

5,780 posts, read 1,558,918 times
Yes, many people today remain perpetually stuck in the adolescent stage of life and never really achieve true adulthood, other than the magic number of 18/21. Many people never grow to understand the primary hallmarks of adulthood - that is an understanding that they are responsible for themselves and their actions have consequences and thus will struggle throughout most of their lives, playing the victimhood role and demanding someone else take care of them in one form or another. It's really a shame.

Old 08-13-2019, 11:16 AM

9,677 posts, read 7,338,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm privileged enough to mock a minor who uses the word "privileged" so perhaps.
senior year in High School.

one things adults don't do is use "lol" at the end of a lengthy sentence or thought. You can be 14, or you can be 40 and use it, and it shows you're not mature. Adult status is indeed given at certain age benchmarks. But a real adult has maturity.

Old Yesterday, 12:31 AM

3,119 posts, read 974,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Man I wish contextual cues were universal, what happened when we used to think off each other's perspectives?

Whatever,
Lemme see if I can take a stab at this.

So... you are a kid,
you think you don't need actual experience before you begin deciding your opinions are the only correct ones in existence and they need to be forced upon others,
you think the US is full of evil corporate boogeymen,
you think "social privilege" is a real and rampant issue,
and you percieve or accept others perceptions that racists are everywhere.

I bet I'm close.

Last edited by Jimbo302; Yesterday at 12:57 AM..

Old Today, 06:39 AM

2,675 posts, read 820,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
Lemme see if I can take a stab at this.

So... you are a kid,
you think you don't need actual experience before you begin deciding your opinions are the only correct ones in existence and they need to be forced upon others,
you think the US is full of evil corporate boogeymen,
you think "social privilege" is a real and rampant issue,
and you percieve or accept others perceptions that racists are everywhere.

I bet I'm close.
I am not that shallow minded lol

I will say politics and social media are making people lose their gray area in thinking though.

Last edited by Luciano700; Today at 06:52 AM..

Old Today, 06:46 AM

8,281 posts, read 2,405,502 times
adulthood begins when you have your college loans paid off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or