U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know a white supremist
Yes i know a real white supremist 58 25.66%
No 153 67.70%
Every white male is a white supremist so yes for that reason. 15 6.64%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 03:35 PM

49,231 posts, read 46,084,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySoup View Post
I guess, in the final analysis, that racism is basically black people vs. everyone else. Admittedly, it isn't like a gaijin is viewed with the highest esteem in Japan, but real-deal racism basically amounts to Africa vs. the rest of the world.

Why exactly is that (if true)? Is it simply because that represents the widest genetic spread?
To a certain extent, this is the case. Alot of people who aren't Black have experienced bigotry and racism. At the same time, there is a pecking order. Chinese immigrants who went to the Mississippi Delta region experienced racism. They were given the same segregation treatment. However, they were allowed to attend White schools/universities before Blacks were able to do so.

In Texas, Mexican-Americans did experience discrimination, and were dealt the "we don't serve Mexicans" treatment. There were also some Mexican-Americans in Texas who discriminated against Blacks. At one time, Hispanic immigrants in New Orleans could attend schools that Blacks were not allowed at.

When it comes to racism, there has been a pecking order that has taken place.

2,278 posts, read 688,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I know that it does for political purposes, but people define white as Europeans and don't include the MENA who often exclude themselves from being white. For the most part it's not hard to tell a person has origins from the original peoples of Europe.
The concept of "whiteness" doesn't exist in the Middle East, so how do they exclude themselves from something that doesn't exist as a concept there in the first place. Race politics does not exist in the Middle East.

13,673 posts, read 4,121,172 times
Quote:
I guess, in the final analysis, that racism is basically black people vs. everyone else. Admittedly, it isn't like a gaijin is viewed with the highest esteem in Japan, but real-deal racism basically amounts to Africa vs. the rest of the world.

Why exactly is that (if true)? Is it simply because that represents the widest genetic spread?
Well there is a huge genetic distance between Africans and non-Africans. Non-Africans or Eurasians don't have nearly as much spread between them.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:38 PM

11,969 posts, read 8,637,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetosave View Post
I hate Trump, but nobody on these boards knows a white supremacist. Come on, be real.
How about my next door neighbor who refused to let her kids come to my house when we had a biracial foster baby? But as soon as he was adopted and we got a blond haired blue eyed baby they wanted to be there all the time.

How about a neighbor in another neighborhood, we move a lot, who left our Christmas party when a black couple came in the door?

My favorite happened many years ago. We moved into a new neighborhood and the kids would not allow my son to play with them because he had a n----- action figure.

None of these people have change their opinions. They just got older.

A high school friend of DH's, a very successful lawyer, will not vote for a minority. And this was last election. He did not vote for Trump or Hillary. He just doesn't vote in the races where he has to vote for a minority. He does vote Democratic. Go figure.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
The concept of "whiteness" doesn't exist in the Middle East, so how do they exclude themselves from something that doesn't exist as a concept there in the first place. Race politics does not exist in the Middle East.
I'm not talking about what happens in the middle east. I'm talking about middle easterners or north Africans in America. Race politics wouldn't happen in America if we didn't have so many races and the democrats.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:44 PM

4,744 posts, read 2,227,728 times
Quote:
"White supremacy or white supremacism is the racist belief that white people are superior to people of other races and therefore should be dominant over them. "

Good Lord, who wants to be dominant over a bunch of people? Besides being a hassle, it isn't even very profitable anymore.
The point is, a white supremacist believes that the power in society belongs in the hands of white people, not people of color.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:45 PM

12,184 posts, read 16,950,833 times
I grew up Jewish in the South in the 90s and early 2000s. While I can't say I "knew" the people who burned a cross on my front lawn as a child, I can definitely say they were white supremacists who personally knew who I was. I'd rather it have gone the other way.

Oprah marched on my town in 1987 to protest the racism apparent in my county. I recognize people - parents of kids I grew up with, city workers and police officers, and others - who appeared in her program. Did they change their stripes?

The parents who wouldn't let their kids play with my brother and I were probably white supremacists. After all, the kids didn't come up with it on their own that I wasn't white (which is still news to me).

Old 08-13-2019, 03:45 PM

2,278 posts, read 688,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I'm not talking about what happens in the middle east. I'm talking about middle easterners or north Africans in America. Race politics wouldn't happen in America if we didn't have so many races and the democrats.
As someone from the Middle East, I can attest that many many people from the Middle East are considered "white" in America. To attest how dumb your concept of American race culture is. I would be classified as "white" since I have a fair complex, light hair and light eyes. My cousin would be considered Non-white since he has olive skin, dark hair and dark eyes. Even though both sides of our families are from the same city.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:48 PM

11,969 posts, read 8,637,745 times
IIRC, white means Caucasian.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
The point is, a white supremacist believes that the power in society belongs in the hands of white people, not people of color.
It depends on the society. I was born in white society and don't find it acceptable that "people of color" will rule over me just because some people for some reason decided to let them all in suddenly. That's an invasion and being conquered and not acceptable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies