Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you know a white supremist
Yes i know a real white supremist 58 25.66%
No 153 67.70%
Every white male is a white supremist so yes for that reason. 15 6.64%
Voters: 226. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 03:53 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenFresno View Post
As someone from the Middle East, I can attest that many many people from the Middle East are considered "white" in America. To attest how dumb your concept of American race culture is. I would be classified as "white" since I have a fair complex, light hair and light eyes. My cousin would be considered Non-white since he has olive skin, dark hair and dark eyes. Even though both sides of our families are from the same city.
What is your problem? Do people consider you white and do you consider yourself white?

Old 08-13-2019, 03:53 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
My paternal grandparents forbid the use of the N word, but as soon as the black kids showed up at the municipal pool in Refugio, Texas, they would herd me and my siblings up and get us right outta there, lickety split.

My maternal grandparents were the same way. The N word was prohibited. But, even though they lived in a black neighborhood in Houston, they wouldn't let us play with the neighbor's kids when we'd visit during summer break.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:56 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
How about my next door neighbor who refused to let her kids come to my house when we had a biracial foster baby? But as soon as he was adopted and we got a blond haired blue eyed baby they wanted to be there all the time.

How about a neighbor in another neighborhood, we move a lot, who left our Christmas party when a black couple came in the door?

My favorite happened many years ago. We moved into a new neighborhood and the kids would not allow my son to play with them because he had a n----- action figure.

None of these people have change their opinions. They just got older.

A high school friend of DH's, a very successful lawyer, will not vote for a minority. And this was last election. He did not vote for Trump or Hillary. He just doesn't vote in the races where he has to vote for a minority. He does vote Democratic. Go figure.
And you don't have to White to have the white supremacist mindset. I remember being at a party a few years ago. I was introduced to a Black woman (I'm a Black man). We started talking. She bluntly told me that she wasn't into Black men and that she only dates White males. I was kind of shocked. I thought "I didn't need to know that". Looking back, I figure she has that kind of mindset.

Old 08-13-2019, 03:57 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
Quote:
Your problem is that your chosen form of identity is poorly defined and dumb. The concept of "whiteness" is idiotic.
OK I'll change it for you. I'm American descended from British colonists and some who were from nearby countries. You are not one of us and don't like us apparently. Are we happy now?

Old 08-13-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
IIRC, white means Caucasian.
The Caucasian race includes ancient and modern populations from Europe, Western Asia, Central Asia, South Asia, North Africa, and the Horn of Africa

Old 08-13-2019, 03:58 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,115,831 times
Quote:
Your problem is that your chosen form of identity is poorly defined and dumb. The concept of "whiteness" is idiotic.
What people mean by "white" is really European. We as European people have shared Christian values, a lot of cultural similarities, generally fair complexions (with a minority of southern europeans having olive complexions).

You as a middle easterner are some contact population, that's often lumped in as White for the purpose of census counting. Indeed, many Arabs, Persians can pass as Europeans but many cannot as well.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:04 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What is your problem? Do people consider you white and do you consider yourself white?
I think the idea of there being a "white" identity is one of the dumbest things ever invented. What does it mean to be "white"? Its a non-identity, it tells you almost nothing about an individual.

Contrast "whiteness" with the Irish identity. If someone says i'm Irish, I know. The are from a specific place called Ireland, there is a language, religion, history, culture, heritage, way of life and historical struggle that accompanies being Irish. Its an actual identity.

If someone says i'm "white", what do I know? Almost nothing about them. Being white is not about being something its about not being something. You aren't black, aren't Asian, aren't Latino.. Sorry but if your core identity is being "white" then you have no real identity.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:05 PM

732 posts, read 390,454 times
Quote:
And what defines what is "white" and what is not? Please explain in detail.
Not so long ago it wasn't really a concept. You were a 'English' or 'French', etc.

It seems to me that this would be of help:

https://www.pantone.com/skintone-guide

but we'd have to vote on the allowed values. People from Mediterranean countries confuse the issue of course.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:09 PM

I find it interesting that, although the OP is just a simple poll asking whether anyone personally knows a white supremacist, several white supremacists have joined in the conversation to either disingenuously argue about the definition and/or assert that there's nothing wrong with it.

Old 08-13-2019, 04:12 PM

Quote:
I think the idea of there being a "white" identity is one of the dumbest things ever invented. What does it mean to be "white"? Its a non-identity, it tells you almost nothing about an individual.

Contrast "whiteness" with the Irish identity. If someone says i'm Irish, I know. The are from a specific place called Ireland, there is a language, religion, history, culture, heritage, way of life and historical struggle that accompanies being Irish. Its an actual identity.

If someone says i'm "white", what do I know? Almost nothing about them. Being white is not about being something its about not being something. You aren't black, aren't Asian, aren't Latino.. Sorry but if your core identity is being "white" then you have no real identity.

Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies