U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 02:56 PM

37,482 posts, read 16,588,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Illegals don't go on workers comp when they get hurt at work; they get fired. Company saves money this way.

Illegals work OT without getting extra OT hourly rate. Companies save money this way.

Companies love illegals. And GOP politicians love companies, thus they look the other way when companies employ illegals. They allow the companies to play dumb about it. Even the president's own companies play dumb about illegals.

It's acceptable practice to allow companies to employ illegals with very little punishment to the companies and the Republicans won't ever change this. GOP politicians only tout the wall to get votes. Fakery. The GOP would require E-Verify nationwide if they cared one iota about illegals. Not a peep about E-Verify.
Utter nonsense! It has been the Republicans in congress who have presented e-verify bills but the Democrats won't sign it unless there is a massive amnesty attached to it. Trump has had e-verify in his last two budgets probably voted down by the Democrats again. I have posted the links numerous times in here. Trump uses e-verify on all of his properties now.

https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/pol...213791734.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
If you feel so strongly against abortion are you willing to help pay the cost of raising the child.
Being opposed to abortion doesn't obligate anyone for raising the children of irresponsible adults.

Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Oh, many years ago a local farmer on the East End of Long Island wrote in the local paper that he could not get anyone to work his fields picking the crops. He said he put ads in all the local papers and nobody applied.

His own teenage children refused as well saying that got a job at (AC) McD's or in Summer Camps for little kids. Solution? Pick Your Own Strawberries, Apples, Pumpkins, etc., to the General Public. Nobody wanted to do it for paid wages, but did it for themselves and day out in the country.
I see you're another clueless one. There are unlimited visas for legal, foreign crop pickers, so you were saying?

Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM

40,677 posts, read 40,233,424 times
This isn't passing the sniff test in my opinion. I cant see there being a large labor shortage for unskilled people.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

5,044 posts, read 5,098,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
This isn't passing the sniff test in my opinion. I cant see there being a large labor shortage for unskilled people.
Sure, there is not. Anything remotely labor intensive went belly up, just corn, just soy, and they truck all that produce from CA that import Mexicans wholesale to its fields. Wiping geezers butt biz is on the rise though.

Old Yesterday, 03:11 PM

22,594 posts, read 9,617,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
1) This is a lie.
2) If there was a real shortage of low-skilled workers you'd see a huge spike in their pay, you haven't.
3) If there was a spike in pay, you would see some Americans moving back into the labor force... but few have

They mean, there is a lack of people to exploit.
Could we please stop this silly charade? Everyone knows plants like the Mississippi chicken plants exist and hire illegal workers because the conditions and pay suck.

I don't really know why Trump continues to hire illegal workers, as he could certainly afford to pay decent wages--you would have to ask him, but nobody does--have no idea why.

What we need is a guest worker or path to immigration program. Unless you actually believe the 'out-of-work' miners will take jobs in chicken plants, pick fruit, or scrub toilets in motels.

Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM

6,610 posts, read 12,768,172 times
Quote:
Maybe where you live but get out and look around. Take Minneapolis for instance. There is a huge labor shortage here and there has been for a while. Try finding a restaurant here without a “Now hiring” sign on it. I’ll be waiting.

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM

40,677 posts, read 40,233,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Maybe where you live but get out and look around. Take Minneapolis for instance. There is a huge labor shortage here and there has been for a while. Try finding a restaurant here without a “Now hiring” sign on it. I’ll be waiting.
You maybe correct, I don't know. I just know that I've heard more talk of jobs going away due to automation and the potential need for a UBI. I've heard that kind of talk way more than the need for more low skilled people.

Just anecdotally speaking here, I don't have hard numbers either way.

Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM

22,594 posts, read 9,617,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Utter nonsense! It has been the Republicans in congress who have presented e-verify bills but the Democrats won't sign it unless there is a massive amnesty attached to it. Trump has had e-verify in his last two budgets probably voted down by the Democrats again. I have posted the links numerous times in here. Trump uses e-verify on all of his properties now.
https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/pol...213791734.html
The Mississippi plants and Trump Org. claim they used e-verify, and yet still somehow end up with illegal workers.

E-verify--I have been told by employers and businesses in Florida--does not work.

What might work is to parade the same employers caught with illegal workers, through the 'Walk of Shame' in handcuffs in front of tv cameras, the way they did with the workers. Why haven't we seen that?

Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM

6,610 posts, read 12,768,172 times
Quote:
You maybe correct, I don't know. I just know that I've heard more talk of jobs going away due to automation and the potential need for a UBI. I've heard that kind of talk way more than the need for more low skilled people.

Just anecdotally speaking here, I don't have hard numbers either way.
Ok, the automation stuff applies to 15-20 or more years into the future. We’re talking about right now. As I and others linked to in prior posts, there are hard numbers that support that the nation is indeed objectively facing a labor shortage right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies