U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Today, 09:12 AM
Status: "This is the best of all possible plutocracies." (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
18,585 posts, read 8,367,782 times
Reputation: 10836

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Here's the deal. As I said before we have far too many fast food joints, hotels and other low paying businesses being built in this country. We are becoming a concrete jungle with so many business buildings going up that don't have the labor to support them. I say have stricter regulations on building more and more of these types of businesses such as the above and then there will be no labor shortages and higher wages to attract employees.

The solution isn't to import more and more foreigners for those jobs as it results in all kinds of new problems with that.
Good luck with getting support for that government overreach. Some conservative you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Today, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,625 posts, read 12,768,172 times
Reputation: 3056
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Good luck with getting support for that government overreach. Some conservative you are.
He isnít a conservative. Heís a Trumpy protectionist, nationalist and tribalist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:57 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
263 posts, read 118,603 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Anybody who wants a job right now can get one. It sounds like even if a job was handed to you that you wouldnít take it. Thus, you arenít counted as part of the labor force and would not be a part of the equation.

If I may ask, how are you able to get by without a paying job?
I may not have a job, but that doesn't mean I don't work. I fix houses, I sell things online, I've written books ...you get the idea. Living a frugal life has helped, I'm not into the material rat-race that so many of my fellow Americans seem so wrapped up in. I may not be part of the labor force, but I'm in between ages of 18 and 65, non-institutionalized. I could be in the workforce, but I'm not.

Check out this link from the Labor Dept: https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000

The current participation rate is right around 63%. That figure has changed little since about 2013 or so. Even with all those unfilled jobs out there. I wonder why?

Yeah, I could get a job, if I really needed it. But why would I work a crappy schedule for a crappy wage? And not have freedom to do things on my own, like take a mid-week camping trip. If I *had* to work, I would be thankful for all the job openings out there. My potential boss might not be so happy to have me, however - I have "my" way of doing things, and I'm rather set in my ways. Most jobs today don't offer the flexibility that I need to be able to function at a job 40 hours a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 10:08 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
263 posts, read 118,603 times
Reputation: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Here's the deal. As I said before we have far too many fast food joints, hotels and other low paying businesses being built in this country. We are becoming a concrete jungle with so many business buildings going up that don't have the labor to support them. I say have stricter regulations on building more and more of these types of businesses such as the above and then there will be no labor shortages and higher wages to attract employees.

The solution isn't to import more and more foreigners for those jobs as it results in all kinds of new problems with that.

While I agree with the bold, I disagree with the regulation of businesses. Why do we need to put a hard and fast limit on the number of fast food places and other low-wage employers? You cut the immigration down, and if the birth rate stays low for the next 20 years, I can guarantee you that the market will take care of those fast food places just fine. The ones that can't make it die out, and the few that survive will serve excellent food at affordable prices. If they don't, people will eat at home, like they used to in the old days. Either that or we have a landscape littered with giant vending machines, making labor redundant.

Trust me, people and businesses will adapt just fine to a shrunken and/or unwilling workforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
6,625 posts, read 12,768,172 times
Reputation: 3056
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
I may not have a job, but that doesn't mean I don't work. I fix houses, I sell things online, I've written books ...you get the idea. Living a frugal life has helped, I'm not into the material rat-race that so many of my fellow Americans seem so wrapped up in. I may not be part of the labor force, but I'm in between ages of 18 and 65, non-institutionalized. I could be in the workforce, but I'm not.

Check out this link from the Labor Dept: https://data.bls.gov/timeseries/LNS11300000

The current participation rate is right around 63%. That figure has changed little since about 2013 or so. Even with all those unfilled jobs out there. I wonder why?

Yeah, I could get a job, if I really needed it. But why would I work a crappy schedule for a crappy wage? And not have freedom to do things on my own, like take a mid-week camping trip. If I *had* to work, I would be thankful for all the job openings out there. My potential boss might not be so happy to have me, however - I have "my" way of doing things, and I'm rather set in my ways. Most jobs today don't offer the flexibility that I need to be able to function at a job 40 hours a week.
If you’re fixing houses then you’re working as a handy man and are self-employed. By my count that makes you a part of the labor force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 12:42 PM
 
15,574 posts, read 7,972,202 times
Reputation: 8057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
The real problem is that there's a shortage of a permanent class of low-skilled workers in the U.S.

Around the turn of the 20th century, immigrants from poorer places in Europe were filling that void. But their children assimilated, and no longer were part of a permanent low-skilled worker class by the 1950s or so. Due to racism and segregation, black people (and Hispanic and Asian people to a certain extent, although there were less of them present) could also fill the void of a permanent underclass, but that fortunately doesn't happen anymore. Poor white people from areas such as Appalachia could also fill that void.

So the only people who can be part of a permanent underclass are those who don't have any other options. That pretty much leaves felons and undocumented immigrants. Low-skilled workers of other sorts can improve their positions from working in a chicken processing plant if they so choose.
I agree with the bold above. I'll note that many of the jobs that ICE has picked up illegal immigrants from in recent weeks - most notably chicken processing factories - that in many parts of the south, they actually are not all that poorly paid. They are, however, horrible jobs that most Americans don't want to do because they have other options.

In the past America forced certain people to be a permanent underclass by not allowing them to have opportunities to increase their economic prospects. This changed for the better and now these industries that have extremely difficult or disgusting jobs they need filled just cannot find anyone to fill them unless they are from, as noted above illegal immigrants and criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:46 PM
 
37,488 posts, read 16,588,180 times
Reputation: 10148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
While I agree with the bold, I disagree with the regulation of businesses. Why do we need to put a hard and fast limit on the number of fast food places and other low-wage employers? You cut the immigration down, and if the birth rate stays low for the next 20 years, I can guarantee you that the market will take care of those fast food places just fine. The ones that can't make it die out, and the few that survive will serve excellent food at affordable prices. If they don't, people will eat at home, like they used to in the old days. Either that or we have a landscape littered with giant vending machines, making labor redundant.

Trust me, people and businesses will adapt just fine to a shrunken and/or unwilling workforce.
I see nothing wrong with limiting new business to fit the labor pool we have without relying on illegal aliens to fill them or importing more legal immigrants for them especially with those jobs being low waged, non-career jobs and those workers would have to be subsidized to survive in our first world society. We don't need a hamburger joint or hotel on every corner. We need to reduce our population numbers not increase them for so many reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 01:50 PM
 
1,290 posts, read 262,855 times
Reputation: 1680
Nearly 200 AMERICANS showed up to apply for those jobs that the illegals were doing.
That was reported today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:02 PM
 
5,064 posts, read 5,098,676 times
Reputation: 6354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I see nothing wrong with limiting new business to fit the labor pool we have without relying on illegal aliens to fill them or importing more legal immigrants for them especially with those jobs being low waged, non-career jobs and those workers would have to be subsidized to survive in our first world society. We don't need a hamburger joint or hotel on every corner. We need to reduce our population numbers not increase them for so many reasons.
it is just too bad this first world society of yours falls apart if economy a.k.a population shrinks. Compound interest based economy is cancer that cannot shrink. As far as "subsidized", I need more info. A certain group of workers was singled out and forced to accept subpar wages. But it has nothing to do with those jobs not being "career" first world jobs, owning class can do that to any occupation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 02:13 PM
 
13,290 posts, read 6,338,229 times
Reputation: 11047
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Here's the thing....we have jobs.
There are people who need jobs.
They work hard.
They aren't all criminals like Trump implies.
Many of them have families.
Many of them marry Americans.
Many of them already pay tax and have for years.

Give them a green card.
It benefits the employers, it helps to keep them honest, might increase wages and further adds to our economic stimulation.
The term "honest illegal alien" is an oxymoron. They all are criminals. They become criminals when they either sneak across the border or overstay a visa (and, yes, we all know the first offense is a misdemeanor, which is still a crime).

Not all illegals "work hard". Many come here to do harm. Besides, it doesn't matter how hard they work, they have no business being here.

So what if they have families? Americans and legal immigrants have families? What's your point?

If they marry an American, it's up to the spouse and the illegal to make things right and follow our immigration laws.

And, how are they "paying taxes"? They are paying taxes by engaging in ID theft or using a fake SSN. That fake SSN could well belong to a living person, who, like the ID theft victim, gets put into a world of hurt. ID theft is a felony and Americans caught committing ID theft go to jail. The same thing needs to happen to illegals.

Then there are the illegals who get paid under the table, thus engaging in tax evasion.

Give them a green card? That's insane! By doing so, it would be a slap in the face to those who came here legally and patiently awaited their turn to come here.

Illegals who get green cards will just move to better paying jobs. Sleazy employers will then find more cheap, exploitable, illegal labor.

Amnesty only begets more amnesties. And you want yet another one Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top