U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-13-2019, 05:50 PM
 
1,346 posts, read 270,990 times
Reputation: 1697

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Well Trump did say we would get tired of winning.Only it's the greedy corporations that pay crap wages whining this time.There are plenty of employees out there who would work for a fair wage but the CEO and shareholders would hate that.Trump cares more about the average American than greedy business and their illegal workers.Trump was right again.
"plenty of workers" only serves to suppress wages.

When you have a shortage of workers wages rise as business competes with each other for labor.

We have a shortage of skilled labor especially skilled blue collar but millions of illegals will not fill that space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-13-2019, 06:02 PM
 
37,516 posts, read 16,601,875 times
Reputation: 10155
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
"plenty of workers" only serves to suppress wages.

When you have a shortage of workers wages rise as business competes with each other for labor.

We have a shortage of skilled labor especially skilled blue collar but millions of illegals will not fill that space.
The greedy employer who hire illegals don't care about skills. All they care about is getting the job done cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 06:10 PM
 
37,516 posts, read 16,601,875 times
Reputation: 10155
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, it does. There are not enough working people to fill the jobs looking for employees.
If that is true then we need to regulate business startups in keeping with the available labor pool. As I said, there are far too many restaurants, hotels and other low paying jobs that can't be filled with enough workers and the solution isn't to import a bunch of foreigners both legal and illegal because they become dependent on the government (via the taxpayer) to subsidize their low incomes. They tend to have many children also which puts added stress on our welfare coffers. It creates a whole host of other problems also. Overcrowded schools, healthcare facilities, roads and neighborhoods and the depletion of our natural and social resources. Culture clash is another factor. Our American youth and less educated adults can fill those low paying jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 06:24 PM
 
Location: mancos
7,211 posts, read 6,509,048 times
Reputation: 4968
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The greedy employer who hire illegals don't care about skills. All they care about is getting the job done cheap.
Exactly why I Retired I did finish Carpentry for 48 years and have equipment and skill that would blow your mind.But I was replaced by installers mostly Mexicans who can install prefab cardboard crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 06:32 PM
Status: "This is the best of all possible plutocracies." (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Old Hippie Heaven
18,592 posts, read 8,377,966 times
Reputation: 10862
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
There, I fixed that for you. It's a labor shortage for those whom seek to pay 'em low and work 'em like a dog. If they paid more, and provided a better place to work, the level of applicants would rise. The so-called "shortage" would cease to exist.

I just don't see why people don't get this exceedingly simple concept.
It is a simple concept.

Unfortunately, it clashes with the employers' contention that they can't pay workers more because a) it cuts too far into profit margins and investor/banker expectations and b) consumers won't buy things that are priced too high.

These are also exceedingly simple concepts

Unless American policy makers stop worshipping in the church of Wall Street, we are in fact caught between a rock and a hard place on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 08:01 PM
 
8,454 posts, read 2,505,385 times
Reputation: 5839
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Stop supporting tax cuts for the rich and start supporting $15 minimum wages. You'll start having those Murican kids you want.
I don't have that kind of influence, but I'm on board with the policies you seem to favor in these two regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 08:09 PM
 
8,454 posts, read 2,505,385 times
Reputation: 5839
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Yes, it does. There are not enough working people to fill the jobs looking for employees.
No, it seems to make sense on the surface, but it means nothing of the sort. First, "job openings" are not jobs until the prospective employer finds someone who is willing and able to do the work on terms acceptable the prospective employer. There's no particular reason to expect this employee to come from the ranks of the unemployed. Second, the number of "job openings" is meaningless, because someone can create a million "job openings" any time he wants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Middle of the ocean
32,193 posts, read 20,284,595 times
Reputation: 46473
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
No, it seems to make sense on the surface, but it means nothing of the sort. First, "job openings" are not jobs until the prospective employer finds someone who is willing and able to do the work on terms acceptable the prospective employer. There's no particular reason to expect this employee to come from the ranks of the unemployed. Second, the number of "job openings" is meaningless, because someone can create a million "job openings" any time he wants.
If a job is filled from the ranks of the employed (common occurrence) it creates..... another job opening thus, the numbers remain the same.

As for the rest... are you claiming that companies are falsely creating job listings? Towards what purpose?

Or are you saying the government is falsifying numbers to make the economy look better than it is?

Interesting.
__________________
____________________________________________
My posts as a Mod will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:36 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
265 posts, read 119,495 times
Reputation: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Because you offer no facts to back that up?

Here, this should help you (and no, it doesn't support your stance): https://www.cbsnews.com/news/these-a...bor-shortages/
Call this a "shortage" if you like, I consider this a glorious worker's boom. I read that report, it tells about how the table has shifted in favor of employees rather than employers. Wages are rising, and wage inequality is finally narrowing (although it still has a long ways to go.)

If this a "labor shortage," why in the heck is it a "problem"? We should be having a National Day of Celebration for having an economy which actually "works" for most people.

A few businesses do get pinched in the process - some might even die. Does that bother me? Not a whit. Why should it bother anyone? It's called a free market for a reason, and it really does work wonders if you leave it alone.

More people making more money = this country is doing the right thing, for once.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:45 AM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
265 posts, read 119,495 times
Reputation: 602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
If that is true then we need to regulate business startups in keeping with the available labor pool. As I said, there are far too many restaurants, hotels and other low paying jobs that can't be filled with enough workers and the solution isn't to import a bunch of foreigners both legal and illegal because they become dependent on the government (via the taxpayer) to subsidize their low incomes. They tend to have many children also which puts added stress on our welfare coffers. It creates a whole host of other problems also. Overcrowded schools, healthcare facilities, roads and neighborhoods and the depletion of our natural and social resources. Culture clash is another factor. Our American youth and less educated adults can fill those low paying jobs.
Again, I agree with the bold. I also firmly believe that the Federal Government should enforce the border and restrict immigration, so I'm with you on that.

Where i disagree is the regulation part. Why do we need to regulate business startups? Let the free market do the dirty work, man...lol.

If those low-paying businesses can't find enough workers - what happens? They go away. It's the government's job to keep out the hordes. It's *our* job to make do with what we have here, which includes a 100 million-plus workforce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top