Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 07:22 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If a job is filled from the ranks of the employed (common occurrence) it creates..... another job opening thus, the numbers remain the same.

As for the rest... are you claiming that companies are falsely creating job listings? Towards what purpose?

Or are you saying the government is falsifying numbers to make the economy look better than it is?

Interesting.
The numbers remain the same, and they remain orthogonal to the question of a labor shortage.

As for the rest, the government has nothing to do with it. A "job listing" means nothing and is evidence of nothing in regard to an alleged labor shortage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 07:31 AM

10,244 posts, read 16,364,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
The numbers remain the same, and they remain orthogonal to the question of a labor shortage.

As for the rest, the government has nothing to do with it. A "job listing" means nothing and is evidence of nothing in regard to an alleged labor shortage.
Please explain why a job opening means nothing.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:24 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Again, I agree with the bold. I also firmly believe that the Federal Government should enforce the border and restrict immigration, so I'm with you on that.

Where i disagree is the regulation part. Why do we need to regulate business startups? Let the free market do the dirty work, man...lol.

If those low-paying businesses can't find enough workers - what happens? They go away. It's the government's job to keep out the hordes. It's *our* job to make do with what we have here, which includes a 100 million-plus workforce.
Because we have so many low paying businesses that's what attracts illegal aliens here and consequently the employers hire them. I stand by what I said, regulate business start ups that will require foreigners both legally and illegally to fill those jobs.

Our government (congress) is not doing its job of keeping out the hordes. Trump is trying to but is being bucked by congress.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:57 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Because we have so many low paying businesses that's what attracts illegal aliens here and consequently the employers hire them. I stand by what I said, regulate business start ups that will require foreigners both legally and illegally to fill those jobs.

Our government (congress) is not doing its job of keeping out the hordes. Trump is trying to but is being bucked by congress.
Quote:
low paying businesses that's what attracts illegal aliens here
I do not think there is any scenario where that is correct.

Quote:
Trump is trying to but is being bucked by congress.
Knowing he is doing things illegally, doesn't matter a damn ...

Old 08-14-2019, 09:03 AM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post

I never said a labor shortage was bad, I said there IS one, and the government reports data such as unemployment numbers.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-14-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
I never said a labor shortage was bad, I said there IS one, and the government reports data such as unemployment numbers.
Yeah, but the devil is in the details, you know. Make some corrections and there won't be a shortage of American laborers. I've already suggested a way to do it. It's a self-inflicted labor shortage if there truly is one.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:55 PM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
Please explain why a job opening means nothing.
A job opening is also known as "wishful thinking". The amount of wishful thinking has no economic significance.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:03 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yeah, but the devil is in the details, you know. Make some corrections and there won't be a shortage of American laborers. I've already suggested a way to do it. It's a self-inflicted labor shortage if there truly is one.
I don't think anyone is going to be for, or should be for, restricting new start-ups. That would ruin our economy (more than it is being ruined now).

I didn't SAY the situation needs to be fixed. This is a good thing for lower level employees getting more money/benefits. I didn't comment on it being good or bad, there are pros and cons to the situation.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-14-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I don't think anyone is going to be for, or should be for, restricting new start-ups. That would ruin our economy (more than it is being ruined now).

I didn't SAY the situation needs to be fixed. This is a good thing for lower level employees getting more money/benefits. I didn't comment on it being good or bad, there are pros and cons to the situation.
Our economy is ruined now? Have you not read the news lately? Better to have fewer businesses that pay a decent wage than millions that don't. We don't need a fast food hamburger joint on every corner and hotels are never filled to capacity unless it's a holiday weekend. Those are the types of businesses that hire illegal aliens on the cheap. Then they move on to construction and landscaping jobs that used to pay a decent wage to an American.

It makes no sense to constantly keep building those type of businesses when it doesn't match the American labor pool to fill those jobs.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:24 PM

1,438 posts, read 778,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
And it's been going strong for over a decade....... My career is in training EXACTLY those people, and I can tell you without a doubt, that finding qualified, skilled labor has been a nightmare since the boomers started retiring.

As for Walmart cutting their hours: It has nothing to do with supply and demand, and everything to do with skirting labor laws. Part time workers get less benefits. That's all it's about. And it's not just WalMart. So people end up working two or three jobs, well over 40 hours, and still don't get the benefits. Yet another argument for universal healthcare, or at least the availability of it for those who want it.
Conservatives are against universal healthcare because they want the workers to be beholden to their employers for healthcare, pensions, and vacation so that the employees cannot leave at the drop of a hat for other job offers or the opportunity to start their own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies