U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM

921 posts, read 450,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
And it's been going strong for over a decade....... My career is in training EXACTLY those people, and I can tell you without a doubt, that finding qualified, skilled labor has been a nightmare since the boomers started retiring.

As for Walmart cutting their hours: It has nothing to do with supply and demand, and everything to do with skirting labor laws. Part time workers get less benefits. That's all it's about. And it's not just WalMart. So people end up working two or three jobs, well over 40 hours, and still don't get the benefits. Yet another argument for universal healthcare, or at least the availability of it for those who want it.
Conservatives are against universal healthcare because they want the workers to be beholden to their employers for healthcare, pensions, and vacation so that the employees cannot leave at the drop of a hat for other job offers or the opportunity to start their own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:27 AM

7,178 posts, read 5,036,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
Conservatives are against universal healthcare because they want the workers to be beholden to their employers for healthcare, pensions, and vacation so that the employees cannot leave at the drop of a hat for other job offers or the opportunity to start their own business.
Agreed, and it is understandable when you consider their loyalty to business over the American people. What I can't get is why they are OPENLY against education. I sort of get it, because educated people wont fall for their lies, but if you are pro-business, wouldn't you rather have qualified people who can make them more money, rather than a bunch of bumbling idiots who are under your misguided control, but have little else to offer, other than their votes?

To me, it is very short-sighted. If conservatives were truly conservative, I'd support them. They would want healthy, educated people who are paid a fair wage and can make their business owners rich, while they too prosper and spend their money. We had it in our country 50-70 years ago, and they got greedy and destroyed it. It really doesn't make sense. They shoot themselves in the foot, and in the process, hurt America.

Old Today, 07:03 AM

9,003 posts, read 4,500,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Our economy is ruined now? Have you not read the news lately? Better to have fewer businesses that pay a decent wage than millions that don't. We don't need a fast food hamburger joint on every corner and hotels are never filled to capacity unless it's a holiday weekend. Those are the types of businesses that hire illegal aliens on the cheap. Then they move on to construction and landscaping jobs that used to pay a decent wage to an American.

It makes no sense to constantly keep building those type of businesses when it doesn't match the American labor pool to fill those jobs.
Quote:
Better to have fewer businesses that pay a decent wage than millions that don't.
Monopolies are good, got it.
Amazon, promotes working conditions that are conducive to that great monopoly system that works so well in the u.s. PS: with other retail closings all around us, retail workers work for Amazon, or they do not work at all ...

Old Today, 07:17 AM

6,637 posts, read 12,773,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
A job opening is also known as "wishful thinking". The amount of wishful thinking has no economic significance.
So by your logic an unemployed person seeking a job would also be considered “wishful thinking” and has no economic significance.

Old Today, 07:28 AM

37,516 posts, read 16,601,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Agreed, and it is understandable when you consider their loyalty to business over the American people. What I can't get is why they are OPENLY against education. I sort of get it, because educated people wont fall for their lies, but if you are pro-business, wouldn't you rather have qualified people who can make them more money, rather than a bunch of bumbling idiots who are under your misguided control, but have little else to offer, other than their votes?

To me, it is very short-sighted. If conservatives were truly conservative, I'd support them. They would want healthy, educated people who are paid a fair wage and can make their business owners rich, while they too prosper and spend their money. We had it in our country 50-70 years ago, and they got greedy and destroyed it. It really doesn't make sense. They shoot themselves in the foot, and in the process, hurt America.
Yet it's the Democrats that keep supporting illegal immigration. Where is their loyalty to the American people and specifically the American worker? You act like it's only conservatives that are business owners and that's simply not true.

Old Today, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Yet it's the Democrats that keep supporting illegal immigration. Where is their loyalty to the American people and specifically the American worker? You act like it's only conservatives that are business owners and that's simply not true.
Quote:
it's the Democrats that keep supporting illegal immigration.
If your ancestors had not come to this country, you would never have been born here. You know that right? There is only one way each and every one of us could be American. If your ancestors had not decided to take a shot, take the risk eons ago ... you would have been born [insert bloodline here] 'other' nationality.

If the u.s. stops migration, that will be the opposite of making American Great Again, as migration is the reason this country rose up into the ranks it holds today ... opposition to that, will be make America poorer ... A country that does not grow, dies. How long it takes, is up to the decision made today. I know you do not see it, but hide and watch it happen.

Me, I think America needs to be humbled ... so anti-migration advocates, that would kick out folks like the poor migrant Telsa, today, because he arrives with only 4 cents in his pockets (therefore how could any one like that amount to much?) ... I believe in, 'poetic justice'. And I hope I live long enough to watch the chickens come home. ps: other people are not as cynical as I am though; I just think people will only learn from their mistakes.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; Today at 06:02 PM..

Old Today, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz Azul Guy View Post
So by your logic an unemployed person seeking a job would also be considered “wishful thinking” and has no economic significance.
I think, what that poster is trying to say is the companies post job openings, when they haven't a job opening at all ... bate and switch and I find that in temp agencies a lot. Temp agencies revenue comes from their inventory of applicants, where they say they can guarantee X amount of possibilities to their clients.

It is possible too, for other companies to play the same game, where as they post openings, but they don't really have the position they post open ... some times too (just thought of this) they fill the job inside, (some one who is employed by them knows of some one) the job gets filled, but they have to make a public post of it, none-the-less.

Old Today, 06:11 PM

10,548 posts, read 6,255,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I lived rural for a number of years near a chicken processing plant.
Provided steady employment for most of the folks living there.
Illegals took over many of those jobs leaving them without means of steady employment.
5 minutes late to clock in..you're fired. Illegal took their place.

That plant got raided 4 times over an 8 year period.
Each and every time they were back up and running within a week.

Everyone's experience is different. I lived for a few years in Pittsburg, Texas, where we had a Pilgrims Pride processing plant (1984-86). I met Bo Pilgrim (the owner), and he said he simply could not get locals to work in the plant.

We had something in common (hence our conversation), for my mother's family owned an iron and steel factory in Fort Worth, where I worked for a year (1975; I decided college was okay after that experience). I was surrounded by illegals, because locals simply would not do the work.The plant finally shut down when the supply of illegals dried up.

I'm not saying the poster is wrong in his experience. Again, different stories for different areas.

I will note that all great societies, dating back to Greece and then Rome, depended on unskilled workers, usually from other countries. Saudi Arabia is a great, current example. That country relies heavily on unskilled, and low paying, laborers from other countries.

People in Pittsburg, for example, did not want the dirty work in the chicken processing plant. They wanted cleaner work, like at the Walmart that opened close by in Mount Pleasant. Of course, small businesses in Pittsburg failed (one client was the owner of a toy shop; he finally had to close, and get a job a Walmart).

There are no 'easy' answers, which is what a lot of people seem to want.

Old Today, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Everyone's experience is different. I lived for a few years in Pittsburg, Texas, where we had a Pilgrims Pride processing plant (1984-86). I met Bo Pilgrim (the owner), and he said he simply could not get locals to work in the plant.

We had something in common (hence our conversation), for my mother's family owned an iron and steel factory in Fort Worth, where I worked for a year (1975; I decided college was okay after that experience). I was surrounded by illegals, because locals simply would not do the work.The plant finally shut down when the supply of illegals dried up.

I'm not saying the poster is wrong in his experience. Again, different stories for different areas.

I will note that all great societies, dating back to Greece and then Rome, depended on unskilled workers, usually from other countries. Saudi Arabia is a great, current example. That country relies heavily on unskilled, and low paying, laborers from other countries.

People in Pittsburg, for example, did not want the dirty work in the chicken processing plant. They wanted cleaner work, like at the Walmart that opened close by in Mount Pleasant. Of course, small businesses in Pittsburg failed (one client was the owner of a toy shop; he finally had to close, and get a job a Walmart).

There are no 'easy' answers, which is what a lot of people seem to want.
I lived in Daingerfield ... Yep ... I do know what you are talking about. I still remember the smell, when on occasion I drove by it. I'd like to see some of these classy posters on c-d give it a try. I do believe, they'd stop complaining.

Old Today, 09:02 PM

6,637 posts, read 12,773,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I think, what that poster is trying to say is the companies post job openings, when they haven't a job opening at all ... bate and switch and I find that in temp agencies a lot. Temp agencies revenue comes from their inventory of applicants, where they say they can guarantee X amount of possibilities to their clients.

It is possible too, for other companies to play the same game, where as they post openings, but they don't really have the position they post open ... some times too (just thought of this) they fill the job inside, (some one who is employed by them knows of some one) the job gets filled, but they have to make a public post of it, none-the-less.
A company may fill a publicly posted job with an internal candidate but in most cases that means that the another position would be opening up. At the end of the day total job openings is not a perfect figure but a useful data point for understanding the health of the economy. To call it irrelevant (as the poster I was responding to did) is foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies