U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM
 
3,683 posts, read 2,351,710 times
Reputation: 1985

Advertisements

I work in Hickory NC, I first saw upward pressure on entry wages in July 2016 when McDonalds and Wendy's went to an $8.35 starting wage. Now there is wage escalation all over, my company, which sells furniture from various retail locations, paying hourly, plus commissions, now guarantees all new hires in writing $25,000 their first year. This is 15% more than I started at in 2016 and more than half my 0 down mortgage for my nice ranch on 5 acres. The 2-300 jobs created locally because of the China tariffs have put the economy into overdrive. Yes, I have had 20% ($60) increases in my most popular dinettes, but that is way more offset but the $80 more a week the new tariff related jobs have impacted the jobless force. Now, Walmart, Target, Costco and such are starting entry around $13/hr to compete with all the $14-15 new apprenticeship furniture jobs caused by the tarriffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
 
Location: Places you dream of
20,479 posts, read 12,254,344 times
Reputation: 8883
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I lived rural for a number of years near a chicken processing plant.
Provided steady employment for most of the folks living there.
Illegals took over many of those jobs leaving them without means of steady employment.
5 minutes late to clock in..you're fired. Illegal took their place.

That plant got raided 4 times over an 8 year period.
Each and every time they were back up and running within a week.
Yep. That’s why raids are a waste of money and time - those deported will come find their families. Wouldn’t you? Until deal with employers all this is smoking mirrors. Nothing will really work until there is no work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
 
37,446 posts, read 16,579,658 times
Reputation: 10133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Let's be honest here at how many Americans would willfully want to work at a chicken processing plant?
There is a reason why illegals are hired for those jobs.
They can't hire legal immigrants? Last time a meat packing place got raided for illegals Americans lined up around the corner for those jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
 
15,783 posts, read 13,687,826 times
Reputation: 21711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
Let's be honest here at how many Americans would willfully want to work at a chicken processing plant?
There is a reason why illegals are hired for those jobs.
If they pay enough, there will be a line of legal workers wanting those jobs.

But since they have a pool of illegals, they can pay pretty low and worse, have an advantage over competitors that do not use illegal labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM
 
Location: Sale Creek, TN
4,006 posts, read 3,661,869 times
Reputation: 4285
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Employers -- most of them American - -many of them Republican depress wages by hiring illegals....
As if there aren't Democrat employers that hire illegals and depress wages. Wake up, if any business owner can save a nickel, he or she will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:08 PM
 
23,655 posts, read 12,485,549 times
Reputation: 7527
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
I work in Hickory NC, I first saw upward pressure on entry wages in July 2016 when McDonalds and Wendy's went to an $8.35 starting wage. Now there is wage escalation all over, my company, which sells furniture from various retail locations, paying hourly, plus commissions, now guarantees all new hires in writing $25,000 their first year. This is 15% more than I started at in 2016 and more than half my 0 down mortgage for my nice ranch on 5 acres. The 2-300 jobs created locally because of the China tariffs have put the economy into overdrive. Yes, I have had 20% ($60) increases in my most popular dinettes, but that is way more offset but the $80 more a week the new tariff related jobs have impacted the jobless force. Now, Walmart, Target, Costco and such are starting entry around $13/hr to compete with all the $14-15 new apprenticeship furniture jobs caused by the tarriffs.
Your argument makes no sense.

There is no indication that the tariffs has caused a surge in manufacturing in the USA to add more jobs.

The 10 year recovery is the reason you are seeing more jobs, and the low unemployment rate after almost 10 years of job growth is why you are seeing wages go up.

Chinese imports have not been impacted significantly and there is nothing to show significant manufacturing output in the USA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
 
1,223 posts, read 245,109 times
Reputation: 1645
Illegals don't complain about working conditions.
Illegals won't try to band together and form unions.
Illegals won't go to the authorities if they get shafted on their pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:09 PM
 
23,655 posts, read 12,485,549 times
Reputation: 7527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creekcat View Post
As if there aren't Democrat employers that hire illegals and depress wages. Wake up, if any business owner can save a nickel, he or she will.
So you have proof that the last two raids were not Republican owned and operated businesses.

Just wondering.

My claim is as relevant as yours -- neither is based on any fact...just our feelings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
 
1,223 posts, read 245,109 times
Reputation: 1645
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So you have proof that the last two raids were not Republican owned and operated businesses.

Just wondering.

My claim is as relevant as yours -- neither is based on any fact...just our feelings.
What is the point of trying to inject R vs D politics here ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
 
23,655 posts, read 12,485,549 times
Reputation: 7527
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
What is the point of trying to inject R vs D politics here ?
Because Democrats are accused all the time of supporting illegal immigration.
Reality both parties do.

And the recent concern of letting folks in because they will 'take' American jobs (Republican policy) is in direct contradiction of the fact that there is a shortage of labor for jobs that many immigrants could easily take on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top