U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:30 PM

24,536 posts, read 12,118,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Stealing money from the Defense Department's budget is no different - taxpayers paying for a wall that idiot Trump kept talking about MEXICO paying for it. Another lie ignored by his base.
Tough. My money is supporting liberal deadbeats, so build the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:37 PM

37,452 posts, read 16,579,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Tough. My money is supporting liberal deadbeats, so build the wall.
And our money is also going to support illegal aliens. Building the wall will curb those costs.

Old Yesterday, 07:53 PM

542 posts, read 597,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Economic migrants make up the majority of these illegals and they are raping our country in every way. What part of that didn't you get? Are you still going to deny the facts of the effectiveness of good physical barriers in spite of the facts?

This topic is about border security not getting into the heads of foreigners or talking about how different cultures supposedly enrich us. If there is any enrichment it's from those here legally, not legally.

Are you confused? This topic isn't about legal immigration but illegal immigration, thus the word "border" in the topic heading. Obviously, illegal aliens can't seem to solve the problems in their own countries so WTH could we learn from them? That makes no sense at all!

I can't make any sense out of your third paragraph at all. We need to secure our border, period. Not make some stupid study about "immigrants". I don't want poverty here either legally or illegally but latter is worse because they have no respect for our immigration laws.

I detect a bit of bias on your part since you said there is an illegal alien in your family.
What makes an economic migrant worse than someone fleeing violence? You wouldn’t do what you had to in order to support your family? That’s one of the most biologically fundamental functions of a human.

I made the case earlier that if it’s border security you want, walls are marginally effective. To add another layer, that marginal effectiveness comes despite the typical Fed high costs to get anything done. Those idiots are hard pressed to buy a toilet seat for under $100.

Getting into the heads of foreigners is getting into the heads of humans. We’re as foreign to them as they are to us. But what do we learn from other cultures? Christianity is middle eastern, sharing the same Abrahamic seeds as Judaism and Islam. Louisiana still uses parts of French Napoleonic law. From the east, meditation brings calm, while Yoga brings us a form of body control, meditation, and of course, yoga pants. You eat Spaghetti from Italy, which was inspired by the Chinese. We got English from, well, England, and the language itself is an amalgam of Germanic, Frankish, and Latin just to name a few. I could go on, but none of us are here but for crossing a border. I don’t know why legal immigrants have a monopoly on good influences if they’re all here anyway.

The third paragraph referenced my attempt to bring up an article from The Economist.

Maybe a bit of bias, but I was already a product of a multicultural environment. The ones who came illegally have been legal for decades now. My mother in law now owns a half-dozen rent houses and she herself bounces between her native country and four locales in the US where she has family. My own mother is from Austria and came here legally in 1973, and has held good, ~$70k middle class jobs without higher education. She gets anxiety when her green card is up for renewal, although she has no reason to worry about it; the process is that onerous.

You can reduce it down to political terms if you wish. But we’re all humans, and we all benefit from being around folks other than us.

Let’s at least make it legal, rather than forcing an illegal route, if they’re gonna be here anyway.

Old Yesterday, 07:58 PM

3,834 posts, read 2,514,460 times
Two-thirds of illegal immigrants are visa overstays. A wall does zero to change that. Republicans are either ignorant or obtuse when it comes to that fact.

Old Yesterday, 08:07 PM

37,452 posts, read 16,579,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
What makes an economic migrant worse than someone fleeing violence? You wouldn’t do what you had to in order to support your family? That’s one of the most biologically fundamental functions of a human.

I made the case earlier that if it’s border security you want, walls are marginally effective. To add another layer, that marginal effectiveness comes despite the typical Fed high costs to get anything done. Those idiots are hard pressed to buy a toilet seat for under $100.

Getting into the heads of foreigners is getting into the heads of humans. We’re as foreign to them as they are to us. But what do we learn from other cultures? Christianity is middle eastern. Louisiana still uses parts of French Napoleonic law. From the east, meditation brings calm, while Yoga brings us a form of body control, meditation, and of course, yoga pants. You eat Spaghetti from Italy, which was inspired by the Chinese. We got English from, well, England, and the language itself is an amalgam of Germanic, Frankish, and Latin just to name a few. I could go on, but none of us are here but for crossing a border.

The third paragraph referenced my attempt to bring up an article from The Economist.

Maybe a bit of bias, but I was already a product of a multicultural environment. The ones who came illegally have been legal for decades now. My mother in law now owns a half-dozen rent houses and she herself bounces between her native country and four locales in the US where she has family. My own mother is from Austria and has been fully legal here since 1973, and has held upper-middle class jobs without higher education. She gets anxiety when her green card is up for renewal, although she has no reason to worry about it; the process is that onerous.

You can reduce it down to political terms if you wish. But we’re all humans, and we all benefit from being around folks other than us.

Let’s at least make it legal, rather than forcing an illegal route, if they’re gonna be here anyway.
It doesn't make any difference as those coming here illegally and bogus asylum seekers are both an economic deterrent to our country. Fleeing violence is not a viable reason to claim asylum here nor to jump our border illegally. Most illegals and these bogus asylum seekers are coming here for economic opportunity on the backs of the U.S. taxpayer/worker. If you can't understand that being a negative to our society then I can't help you.

No, the good walls have not been marginally effective either. They have deterred illegal entry in many places by 90%. That's not marginal!

Again, what does learning about cultures have to do with wanting to secure our border from illegal entry? Would you mind staying on topic?

If one is now legal then why would I have a problem with them? So where are you going with this? I don't think it's right to come here illegally and then magically become legal though. The process should start in their homelands not on our soil after entering illegally. What does multi-culturalism have to do with illegal immigration? We have plenty of multi-culturism via immigrants who came here legally.

What does being human have to do with the illegal immigration problem? Humans break laws and they should be held accountable for it.

If you aren't going to stay on topic which is about illegal immigration then please don't respond to me anymore. This topic isn't about legal immigrants or cultures. It's about respecting our immigration laws and our right to enforce them.

Yeah, let's not make speeding against the law anymore because people are just going to speed anyway. (insert rolling eyes). Are you for real? What part of we don't need these illegals and the many more that are trying to enter that way, don't you get? Are we supposed to just take in anyone who can't come legally even though we don't need them and will be a burden to our society? WTH is wrong with you?

On second thought welcome to my ignore list. I've had enough of your anti-American BS!

Old Yesterday, 08:13 PM

5,747 posts, read 7,604,899 times
Can't do much about coming in by air (visa overstays), or by sea, but by land, that could be a no brainer.
Instead of an expensive wall, place a large mote on our side of the border, and fill it with alligators.
Now THAT would stop the illegal flow from anywhere south of the border.

Bob.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM

24,536 posts, read 12,118,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Two-thirds of illegal immigrants are visa overstays. A wall does zero to change that. Republicans are either ignorant or obtuse when it comes to that fact.
One third is better than nothing. As for the overstays, stop issuing visas to people from third world sh*tholes.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

4,995 posts, read 983,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
I thought a visa was everywhere you want to be.

Old Yesterday, 08:19 PM

5,403 posts, read 5,734,546 times
Quote:
Still repeating this stupid nonsense? Trump never said that Mexico would write a check for it. They will be paying for it through tariffs. So where's the lie?
Someone needs to look up the definition of tariff.

Amazing how uninformed some can be.

That red MAGA hat may be too tight.

Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM

542 posts, read 597,000 times
Quote:
It doesn't make any difference as those coming here illegally and bogus asylum seekers are both an economic deterrent to our country. Fleeing violence is not a viable reason to claim asylum here nor to jump our border illegally. Most illegals and these bogus asylum seekers are coming here for economic opportunity on the backs of the U.S. taxpayer/worker. If you can't understand that being a negative to our society then I can't help you.

No, the good walls have not been marginally effective either. They have deterred illegal entry in many places by 90%. That's not marginal!

Again, what does learning about cultures have to do with wanting to secure our border from illegal entry? Would you mind staying on topic?

If one is now legal then why would I have a problem with them? So where are you going with this? I don't think it's right to come here illegally and then magically become legal though. The process should start in their homelands not on our soil after entering illegally. What does multi-culturalism have to do with illegal immigration? We have plenty of multi-culturism via immigrants who came here legally.

What does being human have to do with the illegal immigration problem? Humans break laws and they should be held accountable for it.

If you aren't going to stay on topic which is about illegal immigration then please don't respond to me anymore. This topic isn't about legal immigrants or cultures. It's about respecting our immigration laws and our right to enforce them.
Itís about a broader perspective. We donít differ that much on not wanting illegal immigration. If a wall deters 90% in an area, itís because thereís leakage somewhere else, all at our expense. Itís a bit like the EPAís emissions laws: we can say we have dropped emissions by x%, because that factory shut down and is in China polluting their asses off, while we chase a metric and let good people lose jobs. How many times did you push your peas around the plate as a kid?

Again, Iím trying to make the case that permitting legal immigration reduces illegal immigration. Supply and demand, basic economics. Letís at least have more of it registered, legal, and more traceable. And in the meantime, I maintain that the cultural intangibles are a lot more valuable than any economic model.

Being human has everything to do with it, because...thatís what we are. Short of DNA or perhaps a skilled forensic investigator, no x-ray would differentiate any person from anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or