U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2019, 06:46 PM
 
7,642 posts, read 2,727,710 times
Reputation: 3000

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I think it varies on the area.
Unless it is a exparte ERPO they could not confiscate any guns until the gun owner had his/her day in court. If it is an exparte it only lasts up to 2 days in Maryland and up to 21 days in California. Within that window the state would have to hold a court hearing with gun owner or return the guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2019, 06:46 PM
 
4,518 posts, read 1,937,370 times
Reputation: 3102
All I can muster is, "Thoughts and prayers buddy!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 06:47 PM
 
Location: Victoria, BC.
31,021 posts, read 31,954,925 times
Reputation: 12691
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET14 View Post
Also have no freedom of speech.
You know very little about Canad, do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 08:11 PM
Status: "Censorship is for totalitarians" (set 11 days ago)
 
70 posts, read 12,238 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
You know very little about Canad, do you?
Any country that has "hate speech" laws doesn't allow freedom of speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2019, 08:22 PM
 
Location: NW Nevada
14,485 posts, read 11,774,414 times
Reputation: 13508
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
So do they come in unannounce do they knock
I know dumb question
Will the person who made a false claim be held accountable by law?

I guess a lot depends on the circumstances. The way things are with domestic violence laws they very well could just kick in someones door because some woman (and it would have to be a woman for them to do this) said she was in danger and the man involved has guns.


Interestingly if a woman in danger from some ex has a TPO on the guy he can walk right through that and ghost her and it will take a half hour for police to respond if she does manage to call them. Rather odd. But if you consider that a red flag confiscation call has property seizure involved that's worth some money and a TPO call results in money spent and paperwork...wellll.






I know that when that gal I talked about earlier called 911 on me and I showed the cops my locked up weapons the one who wanted my neighbors to swear out a false complaint so he would have a reason to take my guns was eyeballing the hell out of my custom 1911. He wasn't even trying to hide it.


Oh yea, it would have wound up "disappeared in evidence." And in his personal gun safe at home. This I am sure of. Yep since these red flags result in the seizure of valuable property the cops will be all over it.


Since firstly cops are revenue agents valuable property seizures get priority handling. Real criminals cost money to take care of. Arrest , jailing , paperwork etc. Law abiding citizens have valuable property to forfeit, can pay fines in lieu of jail, (and usually will) so that makes falsifying OH I mean filing any paperwork worth while.


These red flag laws are making Viagra obsolete for a lot of cops out there methinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 05:05 AM
 
Location: Unperson Everyman Land
30,712 posts, read 20,273,917 times
Reputation: 8493
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I don’t own a gun and likely never will unless for some unknown reason I decided to move to a very rural area.
I don’t worry about someone magically appearing in my living room in the middle of the night. I have good locks on my doors/ windows and cameras outside. I also have dogs that bark at any unusual sound.

I don’t worry about LE with a search warrant storming my door, even if they get the wrong address. I would comply and deal with the mistaken identity later.

I don’t do social media.

For self proclaimed conservatives, it is a curious thing how some seem to have a serious mistrust- paranoia of LE, often based on anecdotal information.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/a-...-the-practice/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 05:21 AM
 
2,405 posts, read 1,216,294 times
Reputation: 2428
I thought about this kind of scenario.
And because of that nobody knows about my views or shooting hobbies, I don't have social media with my real name or pictures. Kids were told never ever talk about guns and what we have in the house with friends.
As a Jew who lived in USSR I'm used to this kind of somber demeanor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 10:08 AM
 
Location: San Diego CA
5,012 posts, read 3,463,229 times
Reputation: 8081
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post




Here is a real scenario....
It is called, dying on your feet, before you ever live on your knees.

So there appears to have been information that this person may have posed a threat to himself or others. Two police officers arrive to remove firearms. And the guy appears at the front door with a weapon in a threatening manner and gets shot. By what strange convoluted logic do you turn this person into a martyr for the gun lobby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 10:11 AM
 
14,322 posts, read 6,531,909 times
Reputation: 14699
Quote:
Originally Posted by et14 View Post
red flag laws. Here’s a scenario... It’s a sunday night and your family has all gone to bed. You let the dogs back in and lock the deadbolt like you do every night. All the lights are off now except a couple of night lights scattered throughout the house leaving that dim glow throughout your home. It’s bedtime and work and school are going to come early in the morning. You crawl in bed, kiss your wife and drift off to sleep being thankful for the air conditioning that allows you to pull that heavy quilt up over your shoulder despite the fact it’s still 85 degrees outside.



A few hours pass... 0200 monday morning and your wife taps your leg and says, “baby i heard something outside”. As you sit up in bed you hear the dog growling in the living room and you know something isn’t right. You grab that trusty ole 870 and head into the living room. Your wife grabs her 9mm and heads down the hall to the kids rooms just like you have rehearsed. “good boy” you say as you enter the living room, trying to calm both the dog and your wife just as splinters fly across the room and the front door flys open.


“oh crap!” as you shoulder your weapon and send a load of 00 buck across your living room and see the perpetrator fall in a heap. Before the “thank god” can even run across your brain, you see a second man coming in the door and you fire again. This time you hear the pop of your wife’s 9mm as she has joined in the fight. It has to be those damn meth heads from down in town! Just then you are consumed by a wall of bullets as you see multiple muzzle flashes from just outside the door and you realize something isn’t right. You turn to yell at your wife to “get down” just in time to see her take a load of buckshot to the face and her brain matter splatter the wall behind her. You feel the burning as 5.56 bullets riddle your body. One clips your spine as you’re scrambling away and paralyzes your lower body.



The last thing you see before you bleed out is a swat guy from your local pd holding your teenage daughter on the floor with a knee in her back as she screams and cry’s because she just watched her parents being murdered. Why did this happen? You’re no criminal. You’re a conservative and an honest family man. Your wife is a school teacher and your daughters are on honor roll. Why did this happen? Well two days ago, you and your wife went down to welcome the new neighbors to the community. Your wife made them some of her “world famous” cookies and you invited them to church on sunday. Later that afternoon, you got a friend request on facebook from your new neighbor, which you gladly accepted. They seemed a little odd, but in the few minutes you talked they were pleasant enough.


The next day while you and your family sat in church, your new neighbor scrolled through your facebook profile. He saw that “trump 2020” post and got infuriated. See, he’s a staunch liberal and he hates your kind. The next thing he sees are the hunting pictures you took last fall when your daughter bagged her first buck. Now he’s seething with fury because he is wholeheartedly against the “slaughter of innocent animals”. Next he sees your post from the last range day with your buddy and sees those scary black assault weapons on the table and that does it! He has to do something about the racist domestic terrorist living next door.



He picks up the phone, calls the local sheriffs office and reports you as a threat under the new red flag law. The so follows their sop’s and conducts a no knock warrant because you have now been denied due process and you are considered guilty until proven innocent. Now you, your lovely wife and two deputies have been killed for nothing. Your daughter will have absolute hell for the rest of her life. She will never be that successful person you dreamed for her to be because of the mental tragedy caused from seeing her parents murdered.



The local news paper will report that you were killed after firing on and killing two deputies and that “over a thousand rounds of ammo and 22 guns were confiscated from your residence”. Oh, those two deputies were just following orders. They left behind families as well and had served their community for over a decade. They didn’t know you were a stand-up guy with a great family. They weren’t allowed time to investigate things under due process. They were told you had threatened your neighbor and were out in the street waving an ar15 around. This is the reality of red flag gun laws. Innocent people will lose their lives. Red flag laws will be used for petty and vengeful reasons without merit. -chris anders


taken from fb and this is a very real scenario...also a reason i refuse to add people i don't know and my profile is completely locked down....
lol!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2019, 10:18 AM
 
10,586 posts, read 6,395,346 times
Reputation: 5889
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
lol!!!
Explain what is funny about that ? It has already happened.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top